Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How do I use motion blur?
Keith R [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 04, 2014 12:21 Messages: 26 Offline
[Post New]
Hi All,

I'm using PD 13. I take a clip and open the Modify window and then go to Motion and highlight the Motion blur button. I then set the blur length and density, save the clip but cannot see any sign of any motion blur. I am trying to cure the jitter on fast moving objects shot from a fixed camera position, so maybe I'm not using this feature correctly. Any help will be appreciated. Many thanks.

Keith R

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 14. 2016 06:46

Keith R
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: ...but cannot see any sign of any motion blur. I am trying to cure the jitter on fast moving objects shot from a fixed camera position, so maybe I'm not using this feature correctly. Any help will be appreciated.

Hi Keith R,

Yes, perhaps the Motion Blur tool is not the optimal tool for what you're trying to accomplish in... "curing the jitter on fast moving objects shots". Motion Blur has it's limits. Perhaps more details or an attached short video snippet or YouTube example, may garner a resolution offered by some of the more active members here. Meanwhile, if you haven't already viewed it, here are the bare bone basics of the Motion Blur tool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZjy6ZwmyHs

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jul 14. 2016 15:35

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
Keith R [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi, Thanks for the info and link to that video. I tried the motion blur on title text and also on an object against a background. That works as I thought it should. I used an arrow object and moved it across the screen from right to left. The faster it moves the more jittery it looks. I then added motion blur and it works, so I dumped that to a video file without the motion blur and then imported it just as a video file with the jittery moving arrow and tried to add motion blur to that. It shows no visible difference which is exactly my question about video footage. My basic Canon Legra video camera shoots very nice HD footge but has no adjustable shutter speed to fix the jittery movement like the pro camera's have. I was hoping that the motion blur effect could be used in video footage to get rid of the jitters!

Maybe I'm not using this effect correctly or something?? Do I simply select the video clip and add motion blur or is the more to this? Thanks.

Keith R Keith R
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Hi keith

In a nutshell, motion blur is used to create the jitters and not cure them.

Try using the "video stabiliser" in Fix and Enhance. Just click on stabiliser and adjust as necessary.

Robert Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
Keith R [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Robert,

Motion blur in the normal context smears the image and that creates a smoother illusion of motion. I use the effect in animation using Blender software. It is not a jittery overall video, it is just the moving objects that do not not move smoothly.

Keith R Keith R
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Sorry, I thought you wanted to FIX the jittery movement.

Robert Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
Keith R [Avatar]
[Post New]
O.K.....BING!! (now I need that lightbulb icon) I thnk that this is just me having OTD (Old Timer's Disease). I figured out that this particular motion blur effect only applies to objects or text and basically the effcts added in the PIP menu, and not the actual video footage. I will therefore have to look for some other way of smoothing the motion of fast moving objects like my model planes when filming from a fixed camera view.

Sorry for my misunderstanding and thanks to the guys that tried to help. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I should look? Thanks.

Keith R Keith R
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Glad that you figured it out yourself. ynotfish has a few suggestions in this post: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/42569.page;jsessionid=FE905A6C744D6D34D5A90A87728930FC . I tried the Shear fx in PD13 and it looks good to me.

Let us know if this helps.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jul 16. 2016 11:58