Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
DV 16:9 captured as 4:3
neils [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 17, 2009 22:43 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
I am using an older version of PD, PD9. I have my Sony DV Cam hooked up via FW, and the capture process technically works. Only thing is that while all videos are recorded as 16:9, and correctly displays as 16:9 on the DVCam, it is a hit and miss as to how PD captures the video aspect. Sometimes it comes in as 16:9, other times as 4:3. It is so frustrating.

I realize that I can simply EDIT the capture aftwerwards, and stretch the captured 4:3 to 16:9, but even that process is a hit and miss. Sometimes the stretched video looks good, other times there is noise present, where you can see jagged lines.

So my ideal option would be figure out why PD is not recognizing the 16:9 format and squashing it to 4:3 during the capture process.

Thanks

Neil
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Sony made 2 types of dv camcorder that does 16:9. The expensive ones can do it as anamorphic while the consumer level ones simply cropped off the top and bottom. You did not say which model you have.

Try this: Capture it with firewire using windv.
neils [Avatar]
[Post New]
DVCam is a Panny GS300, consumer model. Perhaps I should have been more clear in my post but when PD brings in 16:9 footage as 4:3, everything looks squashed, but it looks natural on the 16:9 DVCam screen. There is some footage that was captured correctly as 16:9 and it looks natural as captured.

I will go ahead and try Windv and see if that makes any difference with the footage that has incorrect captured aspect.

Thanks
neils [Avatar]
[Post New]
Just wanted to say thanks for the recommendation of WinDV. So far it is working like a charm. It is capturing my 16:9 aspect DV video as such, 16:9, and not a hit and miss like PD, where sometimes the 16:9 video is captured as 4:3. That is too bad, because I would prefer one workflow where I capture the entire tape, and then trim and create smaller clips on the timeline directly.

Oh well, can't ask for miracles. Then again, I am using an older PD9, perhaps PD14 is much better, with lots of solved issues, and my guess is probably a lot faster at rendering using same HW/PC.

Thanks