Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Error says DV tape is missing, but the DV camcorder is a pass through to convert analog 8mm tape
Delta [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 05, 2013 17:56 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
I had to upgrade to PD14 since I upgraded to Windows 10. Previously I've used a Canon digital camcorder with pass through feature to convert VHS tapes to digital files (using another capture program), and now I want to use PD14 to convert my analog 8 mm tapes to avi files before my ancient analog camcorder dies or the tapes disintegrate. The analog camcorder only has RCA Video & Audio out, and I have a cable that came with my digital camcorder which has RCA plugs on one end and an AV plug on the other end which plugs into the digital camcorder. I have a firewire cable going out from the digital camcorder to a firewire port in my computer (I had it custom built to be capable of capturing and editing.) I'm able to play the analog video through both camcorders and have it appear on the PD14 Capture screen, so the signal is getting there, but when I click Record while the video is playing in PD14, an error message says, "The DV tape is either missing . . . Insert a tape." It will not record anything. How do I get PD14 to capture the signal it is getting instead of looking for a tape in the DV camcorder? I cannot open PD14's Settings to configure them, maybe since it's already recognized what it needs because it has "Canon DV" in the space beneath Settings. The Profile is set to record to AVI > DV > and DV-AVI standard format. Under Capture Preferences, I have no time limit nor size limit. I am not able to select "Non real-time" which the User's Guide says to use. I am not using DV Backup nor any batch capturing. Thanks for your help. Delta
Windows 10; 3.4 Ghz Intel Core i7-3770; Multi-core (4), Hyper-threaded (; 64 bit, 2 x 8,192 MB DIMM1 memory; OS on SSD;
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Delta,
it's been a while since I did analog capture using pass-thru, but I know that message, I just can't recall what I did to get it to work. It WILL work though.
I'll think about this while at work and maybe try my own RCA pass-thru capture tonight when I get home.
I'll set up my Sony TRV-15 thru my HV30 and see if it triggers the error. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
[Post New]
I always have used WinDV for the actual capture. No installation required and it just works...
http://windv.mourek.cz/

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 05. 2016 07:31

Delta [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 05, 2013 17:56 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for replies. I downloaded WinDV, and was capturing without any trouble in one minute! Thank you so much, SoNic67. Delta
Windows 10; 3.4 Ghz Intel Core i7-3770; Multi-core (4), Hyper-threaded (; 64 bit, 2 x 8,192 MB DIMM1 memory; OS on SSD;
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Nice result, tape capture can be tricky and pass-thru does give a person fits, and PD seems to balk at it sometimes. Good call, Sonic67, saves me from dusting off my TRV. I think it would be good to add WinDV to my web site of valuable links.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 06. 2016 05:44

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
dsm1212 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 07, 2011 20:54 Messages: 16 Offline
[Post New]
Old note, but WinDV did the trick so thank you! I don't understand why powerdirector insists on being able to control the dv signal when it is already receiving the content on the screen. Seems like a silly constraint that any programmer could remove.