Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Problem With Image Quality in Movie View.
[Post New]
I am having a problem with image quality in Movie View.

I am running Power Director 14. When i import a clip (1080 50fps) from my camcorder it looks great in Clip View, even on full screen. Crisp and Clear.

However when i drag the clip to the timeline and view the clip in Movie View the quality is very poor.

I have attached a couple of screen shots showing the reduction in quality.

I asked Cyberlink for help and when through their troubleshooting guide but it did not help.

Anyone any ideas to help me please?

My PC

Processor i7, RAM 32GB, Graphics Card NVidea GForce GTX 960, 1TB SSD, Corsair H80i Liquid Cooling

Thanks

Rich
[Thumb - Clip View.png]
 Filename
Clip View.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
1182 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
33 time(s)
[Thumb - Movie View.png]
 Filename
Movie View.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
1183 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
26 time(s)
Rich
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
It sounds like you need to set your preview quality to "HD preview quality"

Under the preview screen is a rectangle. Click there and select your required quality.

However, I cant see much difference between your clips.

Robert

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 22. 2016 15:09

Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Wraith99

I should have explained that "clip view" is always at highest quality. Timeline quality view needs to be selected from the rectangle under the preview screen as suggested above.

The preview quality can also be selected at EDIT > PREFERENCES > DISPLAY

Robert Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
[Post New]
Thanks for the reply Robert.

I did think that there wasn't much difference in the two screen shots. However when they are running as video the Movie View pixellates and blurs. Looks like my old Canon XL1 with a grainy finish to it.

I have done your idea and made sure it's in HD Preview Quality mode.

Unfortunately the fault is still there. Once the clip is dragged onto the timeline it reduces in quality. I've just produced a DVD and a Blueray... they both look equally bad.

Any other ideas would be gratefully received. I have seen some comments from a few years ago on various forums about this very problem. However there does not seem to be a fix from anyone. I'm hoping my move from Adobe Premier wasn't a rash decision. I have a brand new PC which rocks. So its not that which is at fault.

I have attached two videos in clip view and movie view. Hopefully they will show you better what my problem is in terms of quality.

Thanks for your help....

Rich
 Filename
Movie View.mp4
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
44616 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
163 time(s)
 Filename
Clip View.mp4
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
41887 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
141 time(s)
Rich
The Shadowman
[Post New]
Have you got the correct timeline frame rate set? EDIT > PREFERENCES > GENERAL.

And do you have the correct PAL or NTSC selected Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
By clip view you mean viewing the clip from the media library and movie view mean viewing from the timeline. Don’t know why you use those terms. Viewing quality on the timeline will not affect the final outcome of the produced or created video. DVD is about 1/6 of the BD resolution so that quality is expected to be low. The BD resolution and quality can actually be the same as the original without the rerendering.

Try this: Place the 1080/50p clips on the timeline which is your project. Check View/SVRT info. The unmolested part of those clips should be green if the bitrate is 28 Mbps. If not then can you attach a 5 sec. sample clip for us to test.

Let us know the result.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 23. 2016 00:15

[Post New]
Hi bud

Yeah sorry for the confusion in the terminology. I am new to Cyberlink and I guess different editing suites use different terminology. I've always used Adobe until recently.

I did check the view/SRT info and it was green with a bit rate of 28mbps. However the clip is poor quality (desbite looking crisp and clear before insertion onto the timeline). I have attached a 5 second clip to show you.

Pulling my hair out. I've heard so many good things about this software and hoping this can be fixed. Otherwise its back to Adobe which i really don't want to do for a variety of reasons.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Rich
 Filename
Sample Clip.mp4
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
11069 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
115 time(s)
Rich
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
The video you posted is a screen capture of the expanded Preview screen. The preview looks quite good.

Have you tried Producing a Video to see the final quality. (If you use the correct profile, it will be full HD (1920x1080)).

Because that is a preview only, it is usually a lower quaily in order to be able to edit in real time. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

[Post New]
Unfortunately the preview poor quality represents the quality of the completed project regardless of whether i produce it to dvd, blue-ray or file.

Hmmm there must be an answer to this somewhere.

Thanks for your help.

Rich Rich
david [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 20, 2016 10:54 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
I am having same problem.. powerdirector support has not helped me one bit. I think the program has issues. Does anyone have a clue on how to fix this problem
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
As has been said before, Garbage in Garbage out.

If the quality of the input source is poor, the output quality will be poor.

Powerdirector has some high definition profiles that can output very high quality video. But, it cannot do that if the original source material is not high quality.

Anything video that is 1280x720/30p @ 10 Mbps or above is high quality. Anything less than that is Standard Quality.

A DVD is Standard Quality (720x480/30i @ 8 Mbps) if NTSC. If your input is DVD quality, you will not improve it by outputting as HD. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

david [Avatar]
[Post New]
the quality was 1080p going in and looked great in the preview but once i dragged it in timeline... the quality dropped. So great video went in and was in preview
david [Avatar]
[Post New]
Plus I have had great results until i installed new powerdirector 14 update
Carl312
[Post New]
Quote: the quality was 1080p going in and looked great in the preview but once i dragged it in timeline... the quality dropped. So great video went in and was in preview
Did you produce that video using a 1920x1080 profile? The produced video will be much better than the preview. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

david [Avatar]
[Post New]
yes
david [Avatar]
[Post New]
then i produced it in mov file and it was grainy