Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD 15: Any Idea What it Will Include?
OffTheMark [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jun 12, 2016 10:39 Messages: 114 Offline
[Post New]
I've seen several people on this forum mention that the release of PowerDirector 15 is "iminent" but I can't find any sources for when it will be released and what improvements it will contain over PD 14.

Can someone please link to any information about PowerDirector 15 so I can see if it is worth waiting for or not?

Thanks!

~~~~~~~~~

One more question:

Do people who have ColorDirector feel it is worth it for MINOR color corrections?

I will mostly be shooting video inside of houses that will have mixed tungsten and daylight (and occasionally flourescent) lighting. My main concern is minimizing / neutralizing the orange cast from tungsten lighting as much as possible.

Is that something I could do using just powerdirector without using colordirector as well???

Thanks.
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
There are no links to any info on PD15. Cyberlink is fairly secretive about their core products before releases. Imminent is subject to interpretation.
As for ColorDirector, it's a good product with serious capabilities but it certainly adds to the workflow, PowerDirector has some decent tools on it's own.
It depends to some degree, of course on how good your original shoots are and how perfect you want to make them.
Think about that and maybe look for a deal and coupons before the next PD and/or DirectorSuite comes out. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Jirka.Bolech
Senior Member Location: Liberec, Czech Republic Joined: Aug 16, 2014 06:03 Messages: 158 Offline
[Post New]
I think that a new version of PowerDirector is released on an annual basis, some time in autumn/fall.

ColorDirector could indeed help deal with white balance locally. This would be rather cumbersome in PowerDirector…
OffTheMark [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you both, Barry and Kirka.

so to summarize:

We aren't sure WHEN PD15 will be released, only that it will PROBABLY be in the fall, and we don't know WHAT it will include.

I'm thinking maybe get the PD14 Suite which includes the colordirector at $149. Darn... PD14 Ultimage (without the colordirector) is on sale for only $80. I would love to save the $70 and buy another stick of RAM...
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
If you could attach a dxdiag file here maybe we could suggest whether more ram woul be useful, or money better spent on some other component. Only a suggestion. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
Hello all!

September down here in Oz is the first month of Spring(starting 1st September), but up where most of you are, it's Autumn. People have been piling in suggestions for PD15 since the thread was started way back when, and the thread has exceeded 8 pages, but how many of those suggestions will make it into PD15, or indeed if any of those suggestions will be incorporated in PD15 is anyone's guess. Those "boffins" putting PD15 together are fare more likely to reject all the suggestions made thus far and only put in what they think we should have. That's as I see it, anyway.

Cheers!

Neil.
OffTheMark [Avatar]
[Post New]
Here is my DxDiag file.
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
DxDiag file
 Filesize
49 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
392 time(s)
OffTheMark [Avatar]
[Post New]
The thing about my machine is I don't have any discrete graphics card, and since it is a small form factor, there is little chance of me being able to put in anything better than a gt 620 or gt 630, or an r7 240, or gt 720.

I'm thinking of possibly getting another machine instead that I could put something like a gtx 750 or gtx 910 or something, since I do a lot of photoshop and lightroom work.
bonagege [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Italia, Lombardia GMT + 1 Joined: Jun 25, 2011 16:32 Messages: 187 Offline
[Post New]
I hope Neil is wrong. It would be a grave mistake not to accept the suggestions Whereas upgrade to affect 15 to 80% old customers.We users have made a valuable contribution, we hope will not be thrown.

sorry for the automatic translator W 10 64 , pc Dell XPS 8000 - core i7 2,8 GHz--ram 6 MB--GEFORCE GTX 1050TI 4GB - SSD 256 + 2x630--area Pal
Videocam: Panasonic SD 700 avchd
Pinnacle 14 - PD 9-13-17
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: I hope Neil is wrong. It would be a grave mistake not to accept the suggestions Whereas upgrade to affect 15 to 80% old customers.We users have made a valuable contribution, we hope will not be thrown.

sorry for the automatic translator

Hi, bonagege!

I hope I'm wrong as well! But when you get a bunch of "tech-heads" (boffins) together in a room to plan and develop software like Power Director, naturally they'll agree among themselves that "this or that" should be included and that "other" should be discarded. The "this or that" would be things that those tech-head boffins who've been putting things like this together for yonks, think should be included. The "other" will be all the suggested improvements we've submitted through the "Suggestions For Power Director 15" thread over the best part of a year. The tech-heads might look at half-a-dozen or so of these suggestions and likely dismiss them with a phrase like: "what the heck would they know? They're just end-users, they haven't a clue!" Such may be the arrogance of those "in the know" that they'll just disregard anything that comes from outside their small circle of influence.

Neil.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 20. 2016 23:10

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Neil -

For someone who has no experience or evidence of what may or may not happen in the offices at CyberLink, you appear to predict it with remarkable confidence.

Perhaps I'm wrong. Perhaps, this time, you're "in the know"... but I'm prepared to assert that you're just guessing & tossing in the odd bit of hyperbole for artistic verisimilitude.

Anyone from CL trying to wade through the "Suggestions for PDR15" thread would find this...

... & I'm fairly certain, they would have genuionely considered the many positive ideas put forward.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
AlS
Senior Member Location: South Africa Joined: Sep 23, 2014 18:07 Messages: 290 Offline
[Post New]
Tony and Neil
Agreed - Pity we have to keep buying annual upgrades hoping it improves. Don't know of any other software that expects their customers to do that. It's a reasonably priced NLE but I've had to buy three versions in three years and I'm now hoping they get it right the fourth time??????

How many of the PDR14 suggestions were added? - even assuming Tony is right and 50% are valid requests frown

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jun 23. 2016 06:12

Power Director 13&14 Ultimate, Photo Director 6, Audio Dir, Pwr2Go 10
Win 10 64, Intel MB DH87MC, Intel i5-4670 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 16Gb DDR3 1600, 128Gb SSD, 2x1Tb WDBlue 7200rpmSATA6, Intel 4600 GPU, Gigabyte G1 GTX960 4GB, LG BluRay Writer
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Tony and Neil
Agreed - Pity we have to keep buying annual upgrades hoping it improves. Don't know of any other software that expects their customers to do that. It's a reasonably priced NLE but I've had to buy three versions in three years and I'm now hoping they get it right the fourth time??????

How many of the PDR14 suggestions were added? - even assuming Tony is right and 50% are valid requests frown

Thanks, AIS!

You've summed it up far better than I could! Likely there'll be a new thread start up shortly after the launch of PD15 titled "Suggestions For Power Diector 16" and I wonder how many suggestions fom end-users like us would beincorporated in PD16! Most likely none. Cyberlink(and other software makers) employs these technical "brainiacs" to develop the next generation of a given software, they may probably pile the table with printouts of these suggestions from us end-users. How many of those suggestions, do you think, might still be on that table at the end of that discussion process to determne what's in or out? My guess: Zero, Zilch, Nichts, Nada, "goose-Eggs"! That's as I see it, rightly or wrongly.

Cheers!

Neil.
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]

AlS, I have been quite pleased with the growth of PD and enjoyed each new version more than the previous. Nobody held a gun to my head to buy them as they were released, either.

As for Neil's comments. So negative, and with no merit, really. Many of the best improvements are not flashy features, for instance the right-click mouse options have multiplied steadily over the years. CL does listen to ideas, but with a limited time schedule, and workforce, sales versus developement, what is actually trending in the camera industry, look at the power you get for the price. If you want big-time perfection and unlimited plug-ins, and all that, fork over the $$$$$ for the big dawgs software, I rarely have problems with PD since my first version 5. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote:

AlS, I have been quite pleased with the growth of PD and enjoyed each new version more than the previous. Nobody held a gun to my head to buy them as they were released, either.

As for Neil's comments. So negative, and with no merit, really. Many of the best improvements are not flashy features, for instance the right-click mouse options have multiplied steadily over the years. CL does listen to ideas, but with a limited time schedule, and workforce, sales versus developement, what is actually trending in the camera industry, look at the power you get for the price. If you want big-time perfection and unlimited plug-ins, and all that, fork over the $$$$$ for the big dawgs software, I rarely have problems with PD since my first version 5.

The comments I made are my personal perceptions, right or wrong, Okay? They may appear negative to some but I'll stick to my views.

Neil.
AlS
Senior Member Location: South Africa Joined: Sep 23, 2014 18:07 Messages: 290 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Barry,
You, Neil and Tony, as Senior Contributors, have put a lot of time and effort into PDR over the years helping users. You know and understand PDR better than most so I think both of your "personal perceptions" are valid. I started with PDR12 and if it wasn't for this forum, I would have dumped PDR and moved on - so thanks to you and the other contributors and members.

My "personal perception" (2c) is:

The more "bells and whistles" (additional features) they add to PDR, the more difficult it becomes to squeeze them into a single program interface. Adding complexity makes it harder for users to understand and therefore increases the amount of product support required. Many problems are due to a lack of understanding of an increasingly complex product. New version marketing is based more on "new features" than fixing the current version as per user requests. All of the valuable info contained in the Forum is removed and dumped into a single "previous versions" file not followed by those with the latest version thus putting users at a support disadvantage unless they purchase the latest version every year. I would still be happy with PDR12 if it worked as it should have. I didn't upgrade to PDR13 or 14 for the new features but was hoping 13 would fix 12 and 14 would fix 13.
They are not "new versions" (re-writes) but more like a patchwork quilt that keeps getting bigger.

It has come a long way but we have had to pay for it. It has come a long way because PDR12 didn't do what they advertised and instead of fixing it as per user requests, they sold us 13, then 14 and now 15. Even worse, they are offering massive discounts on PDR14 now without mentioning 15 is around the corner. I think it's wrong because I paid the full price and new users don't know they are buying an "end-of-life" product soon to be dumped into the "other versions" forum and will be forced to upgrade if they want the functionality and support (from the forum and Cyberlink) they thought they bought.

So, Barry, it has come a long way.

Neil, you are also right. The "tech heads" are on a marketing campaign - "If you are not happy - we'll sell you a new version every year". If that works for them, why would they change?

Tony - it may be a bit negative but only Cyberlink can change that. Why don't they give us a full list of the fixes and improvements in new versions before we buy like other software does?

PDR maybe cheaper than many other NLEs but add up what you are paying every year and it's not such a bargain.

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Jun 24. 2016 05:33

Win 10 64, Intel MB DH87MC, Intel i5-4670 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 16Gb DDR3 1600, 128Gb SSD, 2x1Tb WDBlue 7200rpmSATA6, Intel 4600 GPU, Gigabyte G1 GTX960 4GB, LG BluRay Writer
[Post New]
What I would like to see happen is this ongoing patch business given a kick up the butt. Release a more steady platform and make further updates add to, rather than be fixes to a buggy/broken release. It's become the norm to see patches for issues that should never have got out the door to be honest. That's only going to have a negative impact on future versions. Asus P8Z68 Deluxe/Gen3 Mainboard : Intel i7 2700k @ 3.6ghz: 12 gb DDR3 Kingston ram:
2TB WD Black HD's: Asus GTX970 4gb ram: Windows 10 Pro 64bit:

AlS
[Post New]
Quote: I'm thinking maybe get the PD14 Suite which includes the colordirector at $149. Darn... PD14 Ultimage (without the colordirector) is on sale for only $80. I would love to save the $70 and buy another stick of RAM...

The thing about my machine is I don't have any discrete graphics card, and since it is a small form factor, there is little chance of me being able to put in anything better than a gt 620 or gt 630, or an r7 240, or gt 720."

My suggestion is to wait for PDR15 in a few months. Thre are still many unresolved issues with PDR14 whic we are hoping will be fixed in PDR15. The 70% off usually indicates a new version is on the way and you may decide to upgrade. I just got Color Director for free by answeing a survey. Haven't tried it yet so I can't comment.

Before you upgrade to a new PC, what do you have now? Do you have integrated graphics? I am editing HD and even 4k with a couple of tweaks without an expensive discrete graphics card - plus Power Director support for discrete GPUs has been problematic as you will see on this forum. Try the free PDR14 download.

Al

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Jun 24. 2016 05:07

BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
Quote: What I would like to see happen is this ongoing patch business given a kick up the butt. Release a more steady platform and make further updates add to, rather than be fixes to a buggy/broken release. It's become the norm to see patches for issues that should never have got out the door to be honest. That's only going to have a negative impact on future versions.

Even with Beta testing there are so many platforms, so many variables, I find it amazing ANYTHING works! But I'm not a coder so it's all like magic to me. That being said I find relief in the release of patches, it means CL is listening and fixing and not ignoring issues. Sure, I am a bit of a "fanboy" of CL, but I like their wares and intend on going nowhere.

As for the original query, what will V15 include? Look to what the hot camera trends are...that's a good start. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
[Post New]
As a programmer I'm aware of the variables also Barry but I'm talking about fixes that are basic and should never have got past QC. Of course there's going to be a quirk here or there but there needs to be less of rushed releases to meet the expected annual delivery and more quality control. Software versions should be released with new features and innovations, not as a replacement for the previous one that is still broken. Asus P8Z68 Deluxe/Gen3 Mainboard : Intel i7 2700k @ 3.6ghz: 12 gb DDR3 Kingston ram:
2TB WD Black HD's: Asus GTX970 4gb ram: Windows 10 Pro 64bit: