Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Audio sync issues with PowerDVD 8
Martin [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 12, 2008 06:09 Messages: 47 Offline
[Post New]
Hi!

I'm experiencing the problem in PDVD8, that the audio is slightly faster than the video. The longer a movie runs, the more evident it gets, but usually after a few minutes, the audio is way ahead of the video so that it's unwatchable. This only seems to happen when selecting SPDIF and AC3 mixing (or DTS mixing). PDVD7 and ArcSoft TMT don't show this problem, so I'm sure it's a bug of PDVD8. This problem exists since the very first introduction of v8 and it's been discussed all over the internet. How come you don't fix this terrible bug, that makes your product unusable?

Regards!
garrett [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 16, 2008 22:15 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I too am dealing with this mess. The ONLY reason I bought the 8.0 Ultra version was for the SPDIF audio and it DOES NOT WORK RIGHT unless you like out of synce audio/video. I am experiencing the exact same problem and it sux. My hardware far exceeds any minimum required specs and all drivers are updated. I have a feeling I will be returning this product very soon
Martin [Avatar]
[Post New]
The latest update (v2217a or something) seems to have fixed the drifting audio problem, however when I pause and unpause, the sync is completely off! There are sometimes a few seconds difference between the audio and video. Only pausing / unpausing a few times seems to fix the problem (maybe it's by pure chance to hit the right sync point again).

Unfortunately, the latest update breaks the keyboard shortcuts (they don't work in 90% of the BluRays anymore), so it's unusable too.

A temporary fix for the audio sync issue (until Cyberlink finally fixes it for good) seems to be to use ReClock. This can be found on the Slysoft forum and if I check "Slow down audio" (or something like that - I don't remember the exact wording of the option), the sync seems to be fine. But maybe it's introducing other problems, like stutter, etc., so this should only be considered a temporary work-around...

Regards!
Robinson [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 04, 2007 18:07 Messages: 34 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: The latest update (v2217a or something) seems to have fixed the drifting audio problem, however when I pause and unpause, the sync is completely off! There are sometimes a few seconds difference between the audio and video. Only pausing / unpausing a few times seems to fix the problem (maybe it's by pure chance to hit the right sync point again).

Unfortunately, the latest update breaks the keyboard shortcuts (they don't work in 90% of the BluRays anymore), so it's unusable too.

A temporary fix for the audio sync issue (until Cyberlink finally fixes it for good) seems to be to use ReClock. This can be found on the Slysoft forum and if I check "Slow down audio" (or something like that - I don't remember the exact wording of the option), the sync seems to be fine. But maybe it's introducing other problems, like stutter, etc., so this should only be considered a temporary work-around...

Regards!

I am having major audio sync issues using 24HZ, specifically when pausing and resuming. This does not happen with Arcsoft TMT so is definitely a problem with PDVD.

The latest upgrade to TMT introduced a minor issue with 24hz playback which was subsequently pulled. When this is re-issued and I validate it works ok, I will be moving to their software for all my HD playback.

Their user forums are far more populated, have people from Arcsoft there regularly, and a product which is getting better and better.

I have been a user for PDVD for over a year but quite frankly, the support sucks and the quality control is awful. Some examples, the cyberlink remote not working with PDVD8, despite being their own product, and the release that broke blu-ray playback!!!

Thanks Cyberlink, but its time for a change!
Patrick [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 19, 2008 04:50 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
Ohh... nice to see that I am not alone with this... I asked the support about it, they said that it's not their fault so.... well...

All I can say is, that it's good to see that there are other ones with the pause problem. But my PDVD is just out of sync when I use the pause - unpause button and not as longer as the movie plays... well...
Martin [Avatar]
[Post New]
@Robinson: unfortunately, ArcSoft is even worse! I also tried it, but it won't play many of the ISOs I have (whereas PDVD at least plays them back). Also, ArcSoft TMT often freezes, blue screens, etc. and their activation system is a complete mess! If you purchase an activation code, you can not be sure that it will still work a few weeks later and you need to contact support all the time. Many of their upgrade patches also introduced new problems and broke working stuff, so it's not better at all. Their forum sucks too, in my opinion, because there's only this "Jason" who seems to represent the company. However, this guy didn't even know what 24Hz means a few weeks ago, until the forum explained it to him. He seems to be some kind of marketing guy, but surely no expert!

So in general, PDVD still seems to be the better choice, because of the much better compatibility to existing BRs, the availability of a trial version (ArcSoft doesn't offer any and they won't return your money if you have problems with their software!), the fact that you can download patches from the website (ArSoft does only post them in the forum - and who knows for how long), and so on.

We just need to apply some pressure on Cyberlink so that they fix a few critical problems (like the audio sync and the keyboard shortcuts), but then I still think PDVD is the superior product (so sad this may sound ;

Regards!

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 22. 2008 05:10

Josh [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 27, 2008 17:50 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Hi guys, I'm having audio sync issues also. I'm kinda surprised that Cyberlink has not included audio shift options in their software seeing that audio sync is a very common issue with large lcd displays etc. Not all of us have audio delay features built into our AMPs! Even media player classic has audio delay options! (wishes media player classic had blu ray support )

I just received an LG GGC-H20L drive for my HTPC which came with the PowerDVD 7.3 OEM software. I have a Series 6 46" Samsung LCD and I am having audio sync issues as a result of all the image processing the TV has to do.

Has anyone successfully gotten ReClock to work as an audio delay? I can only see options for audio speed up and slow down, no time shift options.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jan 02. 2009 15:37

Robinson [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 04, 2007 18:07 Messages: 34 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: @Robinson: unfortunately, ArcSoft is even worse! I also tried it, but it won't play many of the ISOs I have (whereas PDVD at least plays them back). Also, ArcSoft TMT often freezes, blue screens, etc. and their activation system is a complete mess! If you purchase an activation code, you can not be sure that it will still work a few weeks later and you need to contact support all the time. Many of their upgrade patches also introduced new problems and broke working stuff, so it's not better at all. Their forum sucks too, in my opinion, because there's only this "Jason" who seems to represent the company. However, this guy didn't even know what 24Hz means a few weeks ago, until the forum explained it to him. He seems to be some kind of marketing guy, but surely no expert!

So in general, PDVD still seems to be the better choice, because of the much better compatibility to existing BRs, the availability of a trial version (ArcSoft doesn't offer any and they won't return your money if you have problems with their software!), the fact that you can download patches from the website (ArSoft does only post them in the forum - and who knows for how long), and so on.

We just need to apply some pressure on Cyberlink so that they fix a few critical problems (like the audio sync and the keyboard shortcuts), but then I still think PDVD is the superior product (so sad this may sound ;

Regards!

Since raising a support call about this, Cyberlink have acknowledged to me that there is a problem with audio sync at 24hz and are looking into the issue so we shall see.

In the meantime, I am using ReClock to ensure sync between audio and picture at 24hz which works well but is not the ideal solution. I cannot watch HD disks at 60hz, the juddering from the 3:2 pulldown drives me mad.
Martin [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote:
Since raising a support call about this, Cyberlink have acknowledged to me that there is a problem with audio sync at 24hz and are looking into the issue so we shall see.

In the meantime, I am using ReClock to ensure sync between audio and picture at 24hz which works well but is not the ideal solution. I cannot watch HD disks at 60hz, the juddering from the 3:2 pulldown drives me mad.

Strange - for me, v2217a solves the audio sync problems at 24 Hz (except that it's completely out of sync when pausing/resuming). For older versions, Reclock does not fix the sync at 24 Hz, but only for 60 Hz. Totally strange - Cyberlink definitely needs to find a fix for these issues.

Bx the way: I complained about the keyboard shortcuts not working anymore with the latest patches of PDVD, but I found a solution: if I add a DWORD to the registry:

UI_EnableBDJKeyboard "0"

in

HKCU/Software/Cyberlink/PowerDVD8

then the keyboard works again. Cyberlink should fix this issue as well...

Regards!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 06. 2009 12:32

Josh [Avatar]
[Post New]
Instead of Cyberlink correcting the sync for certain refresh rates, would it not be more beneficial to implement adjustable audio delay into the software? That would rule out any sync issues on any configuration.
Martin [Avatar]
[Post New]
No, because the delay is not constant! The difference between audio and video changes over time, somtimes it's correct, then again it isn't. Mostly it get's worse the longer the movie runs. The audio is usually faster than the video.

However, a general option for audio delay (or video delay) would be nice of course. But since Cyberlink can not even get it right without the delay option, I doubt we will see such a feature...

Regards!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 06. 2009 17:40

Josh [Avatar]
[Post New]
Oh I see, yes, a constantly changing delay does complicate things a great deal.

I have emailed CyberLink about implementing time shift options, so, hopefully, at some stage that will be included also.

It's very surprising, after 2 and a half years of Blu-ray being on the market that software has still not fully matured to resolve all of these issues.

Fingers crossed CyberLink steps up to the plate on this!
Rick [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 09, 2008 18:46 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I too have this pause issue and out of sync audio so Cyberlink it is a major issue you need to resolve as this is a basic function and makes pausing and resuming unuseable without restarting the movie