Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
tv safe zone
drummer grl [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 13, 2008 08:10 Messages: 21 Offline
[Post New]
I just want some clarification. Why is the box you use to view your project while making it not what will be seen on a tv? And that you need to have the safe zone box up to know what your true borders will be but the only way to know the safe zone is to use a pip track. I have been working with 4:3 ratio, does this have anything to do with this?
Sorry this post is not very clear but this is just very confusing.
drumme grl
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
drumme girl,

Most camcorders do "overscan" and actually capture a bit more than you see in the viewfinder or on the LCD. Because of this, some info on the edges (left, right, top, bottom) will not be displayed when played back. This also depends to some degree on what device you playing back on and what format too.

The TV safe zone is exactly that, what you would expect to be visible when burnt to disc and played on a home entertainment system. Good guage for titles, PIP tracks and so on. In general I've seen that it is a pretty good estimate. I once put items in the 4 corners so I could map out the safe zone manually and found that the PD7 TV safe zone was a little conservative. However, I also found a difference in safe zone when the same DVD was played on 2 different LCD TV's and 2 different Tube (CRT) TV's. A safe zone exists with both 4:3 or 16:9.

Jeff
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Dreven,

I did say it was conservative, no need to argue about that. Our initial posts actually crossed as I had not seen yours when I started to reply. I do have a portable cheap AudioVox DVD player that the bottom safe zone is only about 15% larger than what PD7's safe frame is. That's the worst I've seen with my stuff.

Jeff
Michael302 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 14, 2008 19:54 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Folks, I just installed PD7, and I am looking for the "safe frame" (or safe zone) command/component. I.e., how to I keep 16:9 aspect, yet ensure that it plays on a 4:3 tv, without extending beyond the TV's viewable area.

I can't find it within the menu's or help.

Thanks,