Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Convert AVI to a smaller format
rjohns75 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 23, 2013 18:27 Messages: 22 Offline
[Post New]
I digitized my minidv disks using a previous version of Power Director. The files were saved as avi but now they are taking up too much space on my hard drive. Is there another format I can convert to without losing too much quality? The info for one of the files is below.

FFormat : AVI

Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave

Commercial name : DVCPRO

Format profile : OpenDML

File size : 3.80 GiB

Duration : 18mn 11s

Overall bit rate mode : Constant

Overall bit rate : 29.9 Mbps

Robert
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I digitized my minidv disks using a previous version of Power Director. The files were saved as avi but now they are taking up too much space on my hard drive. Is there another format I can convert to without losing too much quality? The info for one of the files is below.

FFormat : AVI

Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave

Commercial name : DVCPRO

Format profile : OpenDML

File size : 3.80 GiB

Duration : 18mn 11s

Overall bit rate mode : Constant

Overall bit rate : 29.9 Mbps

Robert
Try converting them to MPEG-2 @ 8 Mbps and above if they are 720x480/576 NTSC/PAL. If they as higher resolution, then AVC MP4 @ 16-28 Mbps would work better.

You can always store the AVI original files on external hard drives. There are External hard drives up to 6 TB (TeraBytes).

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 07. 2016 21:30

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

rjohns75 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 23, 2013 18:27 Messages: 22 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks.

Robert