Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How to save clips
Gram from FT [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 30, 2016 08:37 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I have a bunch (150 or so) two-hour videos that contain a series of events in unrelated but chronological order. I have the first one in PD14 project, it is split up in clips, but I don't know how to save the individual clips as separate items. I really don't want a single movie containing all these things in sequence, but I don't want to lose them. I have dug through everything I can find in help and tutorials, but can't find a thing about separating a project and saving the unwelcome parts for reuse.
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Gram

Now I may have misunderstood your requirements completely, but I think "Pack Project Materials" will do the job for you.

If you load your first video into the PD timeline and if, as you say, there are many separate clips, go to FILE - PACK PROJECT MATERIALS. You can then select a folder of your choice (create a new one for each project) Once the folder has been selected all the clips will be saved in their original format, plus a .PDS file of the project will be created.

I hope this is what you require

Robert

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 30. 2016 11:41

Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I have a bunch (150 or so) two-hour videos that contain a series of events in unrelated but chronological order. I have the first one in PD14 project, it is split up in clips, but I don't know how to save the individual clips as separate items. I really don't want a single movie containing all these things in sequence, but I don't want to lose them. I have dug through everything I can find in help and tutorials, but can't find a thing about separating a project and saving the unwelcome parts for reuse.
There may be several options, depending on exactly how you want to save the individual events.

1. You create separate projects from the Whole.

2. You produce each piece as a Video. You select the section you want with the orange range finder on the scubber, then Produce Range.

3. You can create individual folders on your hard drive for each part, put all of the files for that section in one folder. Pack Project Materials can do that by packing each project as a separate project.

4. Pack Project Material only puts the items that are on the timeline in the Pack. If you have other parts you want included, create a folder within the packed project folder and copy those extra assets.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 30. 2016 12:14

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Gram from FT [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 30, 2016 08:37 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I have tried the "Pack Project" but it just puts everything back the way it was (as best as I can tell).

***Scratch this, I found it in an odd place* I can't find where "Produce a range" might be or how to accomplish this. (I marked the range with the orange triangles, it game me a cross-hatched orange section that would have been one of the clips, but the "Produce..." tried to do the whole tape again.)

Maybe if I explain: My husband carried his camcorder everywhere he went from the day he got it for Xmas 1995 until shortly before his death on Jan 4, 2008. I bought a machine that copies these tapes to DVDs. The tape I started with has a tour of the butterfly pavilion, a short discussion with a friend, a ski trip to Vail, an anniversary party, a grandchild's presentation at Odyssey of the Mind, etc., 11 clips in all. I would like to separate these clips, edit each one individually, and make MUCH shorter videos of what is of interest to me and my children.

Is that more like what you would need to know?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 30. 2016 13:12

The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Gram

Sorry I didn't understand your first request.

Try doing a normal project:

Load the clip you want to edit onto the PD timeline. Do your editing as you would like. When the editing is complete. Click on the PRODUCE button at the top. This will take you to the PRODUCE page. I'm not sure what format you are using, but try the following:Click on H264 AVC and just below that select MP4. Then under PROFILE NAME select 1920 x 1080/25 Then under the preview screen select your output folder. When you have done that, select START at the bottom. Once the project has finished producing you will find your project in the folder you selected as an output folder as an MP4 file.

These settings may not be exactly what you require, but if the method above gives you your stored files we can work on the settings later Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
Hello, Gram from FT!

Shadowman, has neatly summed this up but I might try to explain it a little clearer(if that's possible). Based on what you say, you start with a tape which has several different items contained on it. those old camcorders sometimes had the facility of date-stamping shots with date and time of shooting, if that info is present on the recordings, it will help you work out "what's what" on those tapes.

As you've already "captured" the content of one of these tapes, it's a simple matter of pulling the capture onto the timeline, viewing it until you get to the point where you wish to separate one subject from the next, at which point you simply "split" the video on the timeline. A symbol to look for here is two arrows pointing away from an "equal" sign turned on end(rough depiction: <-ll-> ). The material on the timeline after the split can be discarded. You won't lose it altogether, though, as the original "capture" will remain intact in the "media library". All you need to do is give this new short clip a name, and produce it. We'll assume for the moment this was the first item on the tape. Okay, having produced that clip, let's now clear this one off the timeline(highlight it and press delete, it won't be lost, just taken off the timeline, it'll still be in the library, alongside the capture). Pull the capture onto the timeline again, watch for the point where you split to make your first clip. Split there again, then highlight and delete the content before the split, view the content now until you get to the end of the next item, split there and delete after the split, simply repeating the process will separate each item into individual clips.

I did have another idea on how to do this, but after you said that trying to produce a "highlighted range"(orange area between two points) PD wanted to produce entire timeline, that scotched the idea I had. So what was explained in the last paragraph should help.

Cheers!

Neil.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 30. 2016 22:30

Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I have tried the "Pack Project" but it just puts everything back the way it was (as best as I can tell).

***Scratch this, I found it in an odd place* I can't find where "Produce a range" might be or how to accomplish this. (I marked the range with the orange triangles, it game me a cross-hatched orange section that would have been one of the clips, but the "Produce..." tried to do the whole tape again.)

When you select the area you want to "Produce a range", look on top of the timeline between the Media Libary and the timeline, you will see a button labeled Produce Range.

You can also Right Click the orange range, Produce Range.

See Attachments.
[Thumb - Produce Range.PNG]
 Filename
Produce Range.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
How to produce Range
 Filesize
100 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
82 time(s)
[Thumb - Right Click Range.png]
 Filename
Right Click Range.png
[Disk]
 Description
Right Click Method
 Filesize
41 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
65 time(s)
Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
Carl,

I was trying to give a simpler method for Gram from FT to use, as Gram is obviously just starting out with this magical world of video editing. I wish Gram well in her efforts. Some of the "tricks" available to more seasoned Power Director users can be somewhat daunting to somone just starting out, so it was my intention to give a simpler method to achieve what Gram from FT wanted.

Cheers!

Neil.
ozstar [Avatar]
Member Location: Sydney OZ Joined: Apr 21, 2012 20:13 Messages: 125 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I have tried the "Pack Project" but it just puts everything back the way it was (as best as I can tell).

When you select the area you want to "Produce a range", look on top of the timeline between the Media Libary and the timeline, you will see a button labeled Produce Range.

You can also Right Click the orange range, Produce Range.

See Attachments.

HI,

I have PD 15 and wanting to also only save the clips I have chosen from the full movie.

I use the markers as your images suggest but cannot see anything about 'Producing a Range'.
The Whole Menu above the Timeline has different options as well.

Am I able to do this please in 15?

Thanks
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I use the markers as your images suggest but cannot see anything about 'Producing a Range'.
The Whole Menu above the Timeline has different options as well.

Am I able to do this please in 15?

See this tutorial: https://youtu.be/SUTIWs_VwOU . At 7 sec. in rhe clip the Produce Range button is clicked in the video.
ozstar [Avatar]
Member Location: Sydney OZ Joined: Apr 21, 2012 20:13 Messages: 125 Offline
[Post New]

See this tutorial: https://youtu.be/SUTIWs_VwOU . At 7 sec. in rhe clip the Produce Range button is clicked in the video.

Doh... I didn't think of clicking the orange sides of the arrow !

Many thanks.

oz