Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
DSD = SACD?
Vindictor [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 26, 2015 17:27 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
Hi there,

I'm currently a powerdvd 15 ultra user. When I saw 16 was released I looked at the new features to see if UHD bluray was added, as I'd assumed powerdvd would probably be the first player to support this, and by using a PC solution it should be a lot cheaper than a standalone player (I use a GeForce 960 for 4K output which includes hevc hardware decoding). I also purchased a new bluray drive last week, a pioneer, which I was hoping might support uhd in the future....wishful thinking perhaps, but my old drive failed and I needed a new one.

ANYWAY.

I read that powerdvd 16 supports DSD audio. Does this mean Super Audio CD? (Can these be read in a bluray drive, anyway?)

i keep an old standalone player connected in my home theatre setup purely for SACD playback. I only have a handful, but some of them sound fantastic (especially Brothers in Arms). If powerdvd could play these, that would be great and I'd consider upgrading for that.

I also have a few DVD Audio disks, which used to be supported years ago in powerdvd 8 or 9, or somewhere back then, but support was sadly dropped. I no longer have a DVD audio player at all, so if powerdvd supports DVD Audio again, I'd also love to know that.

Thanks.
stewart_pk [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jan 10, 2014 06:36 Messages: 130 Offline
[Post New]
DSD files downloaded from the internet.
nullack [Avatar]
Member Joined: Dec 29, 2010 04:09 Messages: 139 Offline
[Post New]
DSD is the encoding format for SACD. It cannot be read by a bluray player. DVD audio is not supported by PowerDVD 16.

You can either rip your SACD media into DSD files or get them from internet stores.
Vindictor [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 26, 2015 17:27 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
OK, thanks for the replies.
That's a shame. I guess I'll be keeping my old Sony bluray player connected to my amp for these purposes, then.

I'm not sure how to rip my SACD media into DSD files, especially if my bluray / DVD drives can't read SACD media.
I remember reading a while back that the original PS3's could rip SACD with a custom firmware. I did have one of those, but it died of a YLOD long ago.

A shame, but I'll just keep going as I am, then, and stick with PowerDVD 15 too.