Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Laptop run Powerdirector faster than Desktop
rjohns75 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 23, 2013 18:27 Messages: 22 Offline
[Post New]
I just bought a HP Spectre 360 and installed Power Director 13 on it just for kicks. I was shocked when it did everything faster than my desktop. That includes opening the application, loading files into the library, switching from edit to produce screen. The biggest difference was performing SVRT and Rendering, the laptop did these in half the time. I tested them with 5 GB of video clips. The laptop did run very hot so I won't be using it as my main video editing maching. Do you have any idea why the laptop performed better? The specs are below.

Dell XPS Desktop

• I7-3770 CPU @3.40 GHz 4 cores

• 12 GB DDR3 SDRAM PC3-12800 (2+2+4+4)

• Nvidia GeForce GT 640 1GB

• 1 TB 7200 RPM Hard Drive

• Windows 10 64 bit

HP Spectre x360 13-4183nr

• I7-6500U @ 2.50 GHz 2 cores

• 8 LDDR3 SDRAM

• Intel HD Graphics 520 1 GB

• 256 GB SSD SD7SN65

• Windows 10 64 bit

Robert
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
The obvious difference is the Laptop has a SSD drive. Solid State drives are much faster than spinning hard drives.

A little surprising given the Desktop has a faster CPU. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
The comment about the laptop being faster in rendering leads me to beleive that you are using hardware encoding with the nVidia GT 640 when producing with that desktop. Try this: Produce a 10 second video using the Fast video rendering technology checked and then again with it unchecked. You may find the cpu rendering say 50% faster. Look at the Time Elapsed at the bottom center of the page and let us know what you find.
rjohns75 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I took your suggestion and rendered with hardware encoding turned off. The XPS desktop was faster than the Spectre. With hardware encoding turned on the Spectre was faster than the desktop. I guess that means that the intel HD Graphics 520 is faster than the GT 640.

SVRT was still a lot faster in the Spectre than the XPS desktop. One SVRT test took 3 minutes on the Spectre and 12 on the HP Desktop. I checked the task manager and noticed that SVRT uses a lot of the hard drive resources. I guess that explains why the Spectre with SDD was alot faster.

Robert

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 13. 2016 21:31

tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
That was expected. You can give that desktop a performance boost to match the performance of the laptop. Try this: Instead of using the nVidia GT 640 connect the intel HD 4000 graphics and run that same 10 sec. test again with and without hardware encoding. It should beat the pants off the nVidaia card.

Let us know what you find and the time results.
rjohns75 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Well I removed the video card and rendered a 50 minute video using the same methods as before. Unfortunately the result we're identical. I guess I'll need to purchase a better video card if I want to improve the rendering speed.

Robert
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
It is good that you tried the intel graphics. The results can’t be identical unless cpu rendering is tested in both cases. If h.264 rendering (avc or mp4) is used then hardware encoding with the intel should be faster unless you used a custom profile. Although you are using the intel graphics it is not automatic and still Fast video rendering technology must be again checked for it to work.

You never said what the clips were. I assume they were standard 2k avc or mp4 clips which do work with hardware encoding.