Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How to remove Audio Track that used to be linked to a video
[Post New]
On my project, I have several camera angles that I synced with audio to line them up. Now that everything is in place, I removed all the audio clips that I do not want to use and left only the best audio track. My furstruation is that the now empty audio tracks from the remaining tracks are still there and if I right click on them to try and remove them, the remove option is grayed out. If I slick on remove all empty tracks, those empty audio tracks remain. Is there not a way to get rid of them?
[Thumb - Remove Track grayed out.png]
 Filename
Remove Track grayed out.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
33 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
93 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 07. 2016 10:53

Luthien Tinuviel
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: On my project, I have several camera angles that I synced with audio to line them up. Now that everything is in place, I removed all the audio clips that I do not want to use and left only the best audio track. My furstruation is that the now empty audio tracks from the remaining tracks are still there and if I right click on them to try and remove them, the remove option is grayed out. If I slick on remove all empty tracks, those empty audio tracks remain. Is there not a way to get rid of them?
Have you tried clicking on Remove Empty tracks? Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

[Post New]
Quote:

I do not know if it has to do with your case.

Here several times I delete a file in the timeline and he insists on staying there.

The solution for me is to save and reopen the project, decides in most cases.

Another option back (Undo) to where the project was normal.

Open the (auto save) project, which was saved before presenting the problem. AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
SSD SUV400S37240G / 2-HD WD 1TB
AMD Radeon R9 270 / AOC M2470SWD
Windows 7-64 / PD16 Ultimate
CS2014
Senior Contributor Location: USA-Eastern Time Zone Joined: Sep 16, 2014 16:44 Messages: 629 Offline
[Post New]
Like Carl said - right click in or ON an empty track... then hit or select 'Remove Empty Track' or 'Remove Empty Tracks'.

CS PD13 Ultimate - Build 3516, WIN 8.1, 64 Bit, 16G RAM, Intel Core i5 4460, CPU @ 3.2GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GT720, Graphics Memory(total avail.)-4093MB
LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray Drive
Jirka.Bolech
Senior Member Location: Liberec, Czech Republic Joined: Aug 16, 2014 06:03 Messages: 158 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Luthien,

To mute unwanted audio tracks, you just need to uncheck the Enable/Disable This Track checkbox to the left ot each unwanted track. If you don't want audio tracks to be present on the timeline at all, you first need to unlink the audio track from its video track using the Link/Unlink Video and Audio command in the contextual menu on right-clicking each video/audio track concerned. After unlinking, you can remove the audio track by selecting it and using the Remove command in its contextual menu or the Del key on the keyboard…

Jirka
[Post New]
While I appreciate the suggestions, I have already tried almost all of them. I guess my first post wasn't clear. I have already unlinked the audio and video tracks. That is how I was able to remove the audio clips from the project. Then I right-clicked and saw that Remove track was grayed out. So, as I already said, I tried the remove all empty tracks and nothing happened. All the empty tracks remained.

I have been trying for two days so the program has been closed and opened a couple of times. Sadly, no change.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 07. 2016 19:31

Luthien Tinuviel
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Luthientinuviel, I think you are correct from what I have observed. If one initially creates a video/audio track you can't decouple the audio track and delete it to cleanup. I've used a workaround before in a complex project that had a lot of tracks and it's summarized in the attached pic.
Basically:
1) create some additional video only tracks
2) move video content from the video/audio tracks that you have deleted the source audio from to the newly created video only track
3) do some cleanup and track removal and you are now void of the empty audio tracks that were initially couple with a video track

From what I observed, anytime a video/audio track share the same track ID and selecting one selects both the track is coupled and neither can be uniquely deleted to cleanup. I at least have not found a method yet. The best I've done is the workaround defined, at times now it has forced me to only create a video track during initially project layout.

Sure seems like it should be easier, your suggestion in the PD15 thread a good one.

Jeff
[Thumb - PD14_tracks.png]
 Filename
PD14_tracks.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
483 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
85 time(s)
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
Hello, Luthien!

Generally, there's no need to physically delete the other audio tracks, As you've stated, you used the other audio tracks as a tool to synchronise your video clips(I use the same, or at least similar technique) and once syncronised, you chose the best audio, the other audio tracks really need only to be muted, rather than removed. After production(rendering), the finished product is the same as if you had removed the unwanted audio tracks. Mind you, this is only a suggestion. It's entirely your call if you want to pursue your original solution.

Cheers!

Neil.
Jirka.Bolech
Senior Member Location: Liberec, Czech Republic Joined: Aug 16, 2014 06:03 Messages: 158 Offline
[Post New]
Hi again,

I failed to check the screenshot attached to the query post. Taking a look at it now, my impression is you right-click within the timeline's left sidebar while you should select the audio track you want to remove and right-click within thus selected track itself. The command to use then is Remove (not Remove Track) or you can use the Del key as I wrote the first time…

Jirka
Jirka.Bolech
[Post New]
On another thought, I don't think I responded to what you had really wanted, Luthien. I basically wrote about removing the audio contents but you probably want the audio track to disappear altogether when it's empty so there is only a video track. The only way I can think of to achieve that is adding a new track with the Add Tracks… command on right-clicking in the timeline left sidebar. The Track Manager dialog pops up where you can specify adding zero audio tracks and the number of video tracks desired. Then you can move the existing video contents to thus newly created video tracks to allow deleting thus newly emptied video/audio tracks. I haven't tried that but it should work…

Jirka

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 08. 2016 16:58

Richmond Dan
Senior Contributor Location: Richmond, VA Joined: Aug 07, 2014 17:17 Messages: 673 Offline
[Post New]
Jirka.Bolech,

I think what you just suggested is pretty much the same as what JL_JL (aka Jeff) suggested above, if I'm understanding you both. As he showed in his screenshots, it does work. Regards,
Dan
Power Director 21-Ultimate
v 21.0.3111.0
XPS-8940, Win-10 64-bit,
Intel Core i9-10900 processor
(10 core, 20M Cache),
32GB DDR4 RAM, 2TB M.2 PCIe NVME SSD, 2TB 7200 RPM SATA HDD,
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
Ks770 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 26, 2019 13:17 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I want to delete any unused tracks, to free up the space on the Timeline, so I can see it all on my laptop screen; I have several video tracks, and it makes it hard to edit, if they are not all viewable at the same time.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
There will always be at least 2 AV tracks, 1 FX track and the Title, Mic and Music tracks. Fortunately, you can keep the unused tracks at the bottom and keep them scrolled offscreen.

You can also manually drag the height of each track up to minimze it, or do all the video or audio tracks at once like this:

Once that's done, you can drag the visible track area control upward so all important tracks are visible. There's a similar tool on the left edge of the preview screen you can use if needed to balance the workspace view.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
CyberLance [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 16, 2020 14:17 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
-"There will always be at least 2 AV tracks, 1 FX track and the Title, Mic and Music tracks."
It helps to add video tracks above track one before adding too many videos to the timeline (but do not add audio tracks at the same time). A track with unwanted audio can be unlinked from the video and then the audio can be deleted. Then that video-only track can be moved above to one of the video-only tracks created. Do this if you only have one audio such as a song to play while various videos are shown.