Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD14, SVRT & iPhone videos not working
oRBIT2002 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 02, 2009 09:23 Messages: 27 Offline
[Post New]
PD14 (2707) still has issues with SVRT on videos from my iPhone 6 (1080p, 60fps). I don't think I've ever seen a video editing application that is capable of "smart encoding" videos from iPhone's sadly. The latest patch for PD14 claims that SVRT is bugfixed for MOV files but that didn't apply to iPhone videos obviously.

I think I've read somewhere that it might be because of iPhone videos are tagged as "variable framerate" (for some unknown reason) and that might be causing the issue but I am not sure.

Has anyone got SVRT working with iPhone-videos? If so, how?

EDIT: Attached a samplefile.
 Filename
IMG-0808.mov
[Disk]
 Description
Short 1080p 60fps video from my iPhone6
 Filesize
39554 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
134 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Apr 07. 2016 05:41

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi oRBIT2002 -

You may well be right about that. iPhone videos do have a variable frame rate. MediaInfo report from a MOV shot on my iPhone5S - I'd assume the same for iPhone6S.

No SVRT available here either - but easy enough to customise a profile to match your clips.

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - iPhone 5S.png]
 Filename
iPhone 5S.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
40 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
22 time(s)

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi oRBIT2002,
Please provide some additional info for members.
1. A 5 second sample video off the iPhone.
You've stated mov extensions but I note in the Produce section of PDR14 the output is mp4. I wonder if the extension is mov but it's really using the mp4 codec.
2. If you examine the MediaInfo see guide Part J, and look at the iPhone video you have, if the codec used is mpeg4 you can successfully change the extension to mp4. Please experiment with a copy.
Variable bit rate and variable frame rate can cause problems but the output from PDR14 does do both and they are SVRT compatible for the ones I created. The sample would help a lot.
Dafydd
oRBIT2002 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I've attached a samplefile as requested to my first post.

Here's some mediainfo for it aswell.

ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L4.2
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 1 frame
Format settings, GOP : M=1, N=60
Codec ID : avc1
Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
Duration : 8s 183ms
Source duration : 8s 202ms
Bit rate : 39.4 Mbps
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Variable
Frame rate : 60.000 fps
Minimum frame rate : 54.545 fps
Maximum frame rate : 60.000 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.317
Stream size : 38.4 MiB (100%)
Source stream size : 38.5 MiB (100%)
Title : Core Media Video
Encoded date : UTC 2016-04-07 09:08:42
Tagged date : UTC 2016-04-07 09:08:51
Color range : Full
Color primaries : BT.709
Transfer characteristics : BT.709
Matrix coefficients : BT.601
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for uploading the sample clip from your phone. I've not been able to get SVRT to happen, even with a custom profile. Changing the file extension to .mp4 works fine, but still no SVRT.

I'll leave it to Dafydd (& others) who are more learned about these things.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi oRBIT2002,
Thanks for the iphone sample.
Ok, I'll give a write up on this issue in a mo but I will first offer you a simpler solution. Use a free video converter such as Handbrake and convert the video to H264 Mp4.

I have been playing with the video file off and on. I have managed to create a 60fps Variable frame rate template which is partly resolving the problem. 60fps would normally kick up a Constant frame rate.

The iphone video file is a pain - it gives a Variable frame rate yet states it is a 60fps... doesn't gel with PDR. I manipulated a workaround but I couldn't get SVRT to kick in. The Bitrate was another Variable and that was something I continue to try and get the same as the sample. I think the handbrake suggestion is a better option at the moment.

I'm walking away from this issue and let you use the Handbrake solution... less stressful

I will mention to CyberLink the lack of 60fps template offered for the i7 phone (current one is 30fps).

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 10. 2016 15:50

oRBIT2002 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I've found another piece of software that is capable of "smart encoding" these clips perfectly fine so I'll switch software now until this issue is fixed.