Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Producing Video in the most Space Efficient Format
[Post New]
I am a new owner of Power Director 14 and so far I love it.

However one of the challenges I have is producing videos in a space efficent format.

So for my first video I chose H.264 and saved it as an MPEG-4 at 640x480/30p (6MBPS) and this 3 odd minute video came out to 144MBs.

Took the save movie, produced it as an AVI, then used MOVAVI file converter and converted the movie to a mere 44MB MPEG4. And the video quality looks the same.

How can I achieve a similar result within Power Director 14?

Your help is appreciated. Thank you

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 04. 2016 21:30

RWayne
Andres.R
Senior Member Location: Tartu, Estonia Joined: Dec 31, 2009 02:26 Messages: 263 Offline
[Post New]
You may use this button, see attach

if this possibility doesnt work (sometimes it doesnt), use Medialinfo (Medialinfo) to find out your video's parameters and make your own custom profile
[Thumb - Untitled.png]
 Filename
Untitled.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
49 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
28 time(s)
PowerDirector 17. Windows 10
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770 (8M Cache, up to 3.90 GHz); Hard Disk: SSD 250Gb + SSD 500GB.

My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/AndresRootsi
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi RWayne -

The only "one size fits all" answer is to produce to WMV which is highly compressed & has lower file sizes or H.265 HEVC, which retains video quality even when bitrate is lowered substantially.

WMV will give you lower file sizes, but will NOT retain video quality. I use WMV for email & forum attachments for that reason - file size matters but quality isn't critical.

Personally, I wouldn't choose to store videos like that. Just get more storage - cheap as chips!

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
[Post New]
Quote:
So for my first video I chose H.264 and saved it as an MPEG-4 at 640x480/30p (6MBPS) and this 3 odd minute video came out to 144MBs.

6MBps times 180 seconds means 1080MBits=135Mbytes. Nothing wrong there.

You can lower the bitrate to lower numbers, for the above SD resolution and MP4 you can probably safely do 1.5MBps.
oRBIT2002 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 02, 2009 09:23 Messages: 27 Offline
[Post New]
If you want small files, you should check out h.265 instead of h.264. You can get smaller files with equal or even better quality than h.264.
The drawback is that it's alot slower to produce such files and it's pretty CPU intensive to play them aswell.