Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Clean-up/enhance old VHS-C camcorder video
nalab1 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Mar 10, 2013 13:40 Messages: 54 Offline
[Post New]
Hi!

Has anyone got any ideas on how I can fix/sharpen/enhance some old VHS-C camcorder video that I have? I am currently using PowerDirector 13 Ulitmate. I have tried the fix/enhance settings but they seem to make the video a bit "grainy" when it is applied....

Any 3rd party tools that would achieve this?

Any help will be much appreciated!

Kind Regards,

Alan Dell XPS One 2720 Core i7 4790S, 16GB RAM
NVidia GeForce GT 750M 2GB DDR5
2TB Hard Disk
Windows 10
PowerDirector 15 ultimate
Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]
My answer to this in the past has been to reduce resolution of the footage. I've got some stills of a TV set in a room setting and I overlaid some old VHS footage from my very first video camera to make it look like it was on the TV. Worked OK for me but not perhaps appropriate to your needs.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
You do have both Video Enhancement and Video Denoise in Fix / Enhance. Apply each and both and play with the adjustments to increase edge detail and reduce noise.
CS2014
Senior Contributor Location: USA-Eastern Time Zone Joined: Sep 16, 2014 16:44 Messages: 629 Offline
[Post New]
Like tomasc said - adjust those items and do so until you are satisfied - adjust to your own liking.

I do not know of any 'general settings' (values with Video Enhancement and Video Denoise/Enhance) that would give you or provide universally consistent results. Those values will depend on the quality of video you start with obviously.

CS

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 29. 2016 18:38

PD13 Ultimate - Build 3516, WIN 8.1, 64 Bit, 16G RAM, Intel Core i5 4460, CPU @ 3.2GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GT720, Graphics Memory(total avail.)-4093MB
LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray Drive
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: You do have both Video Enhancement and Video Denoise in Fix / Enhance. Apply each and both and play with the adjustments to increase edge detail and reduce noise.

Tomasc!

You beat me to it! I was about to suggest the very same myself! But I will add this: nalab1, as you know, content from VHS-C cam-corders(or any analogue tape-based cam-corders, for that matter) are in 4:3 aspect ratio. But Cyberlink has this magic tool that converts 4:3 out to 16:9 wide-screen without making anyone in the video look like they've been "raiding the refridgerator"! It's called CLPV and works by shaving a few lines off the top and bottom of the image(bot not too much) as it stretches out the width to the left and right of screen. So once you have the settings in Fix/Enhance "tweaked" to your liking, try CLPV to give your video (almost) the appearance of being shot on a digital recorder. Only you will know the true source, ha-ha! By the way, video denoise.... brilliant, when properly employed can really clean up those old analogue videos! I use it often myself when transferring old content from tape to disc, which I still do on behalf of friends.

Cheers!

Neil.
Anonymous [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you for the advice. I was looking on the forums for the same answer to my problem. I am new to PowerDirector 14 and have been learning as much as I can. The only plug-in that i new of to fix bad video noise was Neat Video, but it doesn't look like they have a plug-in for powerdirector. I am glad PowerDirector has included such a useful tool built into it. I am loving learning about it.