Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Menu Designer
Ericjames [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 23, 2016 16:23 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, I'm trying to set up a menu that has only a root menu with a Play all button and buttons to select seperate chapters. I can not see anyway of doing that so far, if there is, they made it really hard to find those options. Does anyone know how to do this? Not really happy with the menu creator on here, that's the main reason I purchased this program.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi ericjames -

Don't feel special - you're not alone. You have lots of friends in the "not happy with Menu Designer" camp.

1. Firstly, forget about chapters - you won't be able to "play the selected title only" and return to the menu. Produce each tile as a separate video and import these directly into Create Disc > Content.

2. Select/make a menu template with the right number of buttons for your project - apply it to your projec t.

3. Uncheck "Include Root Menu"

4. In Playback Mode, check "Play the Selected Title only"

When you preview/insert your disc, you'll be presented with a page containing all your titles (the things that used to be chapters in your other project). Select and play - at the end it will return to your menu page.

This tutorial is really about how to make the menu template, but the last section shows how to apply it to get what you're after - https://youtu.be/16a5-8K2WT8?t=6m39s (cued)

Here's another example - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWDTInl2TAY

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 24. 2016 13:28

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Ericjames [Avatar]
[Post New]
Okay, this is lame, when I uncheck include root menu I no longer have the background image I wanted. This is tottaly not what I want.

I've had problems with this program ever since I installed it anyways, it kept crashing for no reason, realized it had something to do with the update, works better without update, but still crashes sometimes. I'm just going to ask for a refund at this point.
jcardana
Senior Contributor Location: USA-NM Joined: Aug 04, 2014 10:11 Messages: 650 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Okay, this is lame, when I uncheck include root menu I no longer have the background image I wanted. This is tottaly not what I want.
Tony is suggesting you make your own "root" menu. The standard root menu is stuck with the predefined template. If you want your root menu to have a play all AND chapter selection, you have to make your own. So by unchecking the "Include Root Menu", it bypasses the predefined Play All / Scene Selection page.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 25. 2016 11:24

CyberPowerPC | Win7HP-64 | AMD FX-8320 3.5 Ghz | 8GB Mem | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB | WEI 5.9

My Video Editing Computer
| My DirectX Diagnostics

PowerDirector 15.0.2820.0 | PhotoDirector 7.0.7504.0 | AudioDirector 6.0.5902.0 | ColorDirector 4.0.4627.0 | Power2Go 9.0.2602.0

Sutter Hill SDA Church
| Anadrac_Organ_Works | My_Youtube_Channel
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
That's fair enough. You'll be able to get a refund if the 30-day period hasn't passed.

Maybe an over reaction when all you needed to do was select "Apply to All pages" when you added your background. Even now - all you need to do is Modify that template & add the background to all pages. Pretty simple solution.

Edit: Of course, that doesn't fix the crashing! undecided

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 25. 2016 11:26

jcardana
Senior Contributor Location: USA-NM Joined: Aug 04, 2014 10:11 Messages: 650 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: it kept crashing for no reason
Do you have an Nvidia video Card? If so, try uninstalling the Geforce Experience CyberPowerPC | Win7HP-64 | AMD FX-8320 3.5 Ghz | 8GB Mem | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB | WEI 5.9

| My DirectX Diagnostics

PowerDirector 15.0.2820.0 | PhotoDirector 7.0.7504.0 | AudioDirector 6.0.5902.0 | ColorDirector 4.0.4627.0 | Power2Go 9.0.2602.0

Sutter Hill SDA Church
Ericjames [Avatar]
[Post New]
I'm a 3rd semester CAD student, so I'm no stranger to design programs. Even if I do learn to get it set up the way I want, it still doesn't fix the fact that it keeps crashing. I've sent numerous error reports, received no response on why it's doing it. Windows 10, core I7, 32gb RAM, Geforce 745, all drivers up to date. No reason it should be doing this.
Ericjames [Avatar]
[Post New]
I'm not uninstalling Geforce Experience, I should not have to do that
jcardana
[Post New]
Quote: I'm not uninstalling Geforce Experience, I should not have to do that
You're right. Then this discussion is over.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 25. 2016 11:48

CyberPowerPC | Win7HP-64 | AMD FX-8320 3.5 Ghz | 8GB Mem | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB | WEI 5.9

| My DirectX Diagnostics

Sutter Hill SDA Church
CS2014
Senior Contributor Location: USA-Eastern Time Zone Joined: Sep 16, 2014 16:44 Messages: 629 Offline
[Post New]
....(sighs)... you can lead a horse to water... but... lol

CS PD13 Ultimate - Build 3516, WIN 8.1, 64 Bit, 16G RAM, Intel Core i5 4460, CPU @ 3.2GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GT720, Graphics Memory(total avail.)-4093MB
LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray Drive
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
You can't save everyone,. There will always be a few lost souls. LOL.
[Post New]
Quote: You can't save everyone,. There will always be a few lost souls. LOL.

+1
puzzled2 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 26, 2016 20:43 Messages: 17 Offline
[Post New]
I am trying to select a title/scene menu button type as directed on p.325 of the manual. It says to select a button type from the button type drop down menu. However that area is grayed out and can't "drop down". Even the illustration above the directions shows the area as grayed out.
ynotfish
[Post New]
Hi puzzled2 -

There's no need to be puzzled about that. It's probably because you're trying to edit the Root Menu page.

If you switch to the Titles/Chapters Menu page, it will be available.

Cheers - Tony
CS2014
Senior Contributor Location: USA-Eastern Time Zone Joined: Sep 16, 2014 16:44 Messages: 629 Offline
[Post New]
When I purchased PD - I do not recall getting a manual. Is there one 'inside' and under a tab somewhere in PD or do certain purchase options get a hard copy manual?

Maybe I should not be even looking for it though as I've seen a couple of instances that show where not issues asked in the forum is covered in 'the manual'.

CS PD13 Ultimate - Build 3516, WIN 8.1, 64 Bit, 16G RAM, Intel Core i5 4460, CPU @ 3.2GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GT720, Graphics Memory(total avail.)-4093MB
puzzled2 [Avatar]
[Post New]
From the cyberlink site click on the support tab near the top of the page. Scroll to the bottom of the support page and look under knowledge base. There is an option to choose manual which will take you to a list of manuals in pdf format. I downloaded mine. It is 400 pages but I will print it, punch it and put it in a notebook. For now I am using it on my computer.
Thanks, Tony. Finding the area where I can switch menus is a help. I am trying to switch from DVDit Pro which is an older and no longer supported program and I am struggling to learn the new system. But I have just started and with help from this forum it should get easier. Thanks again.
CS2014
[Post New]
Thanks... found them and dld them.

puzzled2 [Avatar]
[Post New]
After years of using DVDit Pro I am struggling to convert to PowerDirector. I apologize for all of the questions. This is my first attempt with this program. I have figured out work arounds for what I want to do but a lot of questions have come up along the way.

Can I set the image that displays for thumbnail buttons? Can I set the end actions for each button? Is there a way to remove all buttons and text from the preset menus? Even the no menu options have navigational button and text that I cannot remove when I try to create menu. Is there a way to link buttons to a specific video?

I know these are a lot of questions. I have been trying to find answers in the create disc area of the manual and all of the menu editing areas. If I have asked too much can you at least direct me to an area of the manual that will help.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 29. 2016 10:59

Richmond Dan
Senior Contributor Location: Richmond, VA Joined: Aug 07, 2014 17:17 Messages: 673 Offline
[Post New]
puzzled2 and CS2014,

In regard to the manual, the PDF download from the Cyberlink support site provides you with your own version (a portable and/or printable file) of the version which appears when you click on the "?" in the upper right-hand corner of the PD14 editing screen. Just an FYI, in case it is of any use. Regards,
Dan
Power Director 21-Ultimate
v 21.0.3111.0
XPS-8940, Win-10 64-bit,
Intel Core i9-10900 processor
(10 core, 20M Cache),
32GB DDR4 RAM, 2TB M.2 PCIe NVME SSD, 2TB 7200 RPM SATA HDD,
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
puzzled2 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you for taking the time to reply. I have been using the manual as I try to create a menu for my project. Either I am using the wrong terminology as I search for help, or I am looking in the wrong area of the manual or some of the things can't be done with this program. I am finding the learning curve to be quite steep. Thanks again for your response.