Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
UHD Bluray playback on PC using PowerDVD 15
CaptainMarko1
Newbie Location: Edmonton Joined: Mar 16, 2016 13:10 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
I have recently purchased an UHD Bluray movie to play using PowerDVD 15 (since it was a feature listed) and I have not had any luck.

Through troubleshooting I have confirmed my bluray drive to be too old to read BDXL disks.

I have posted this hoping that another user of PowerDVD15 has had luck playing an UHD bluray.

What operating system can read the disc formatting? What Bluray PC drive has been proven to read BDXL? With both of these figured out, does PowerDVD actually play/decode these new discs?

Last question to help solve this issue: Can a cyberlink employee provide the specs to their test PC for 4K bluray playback?
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
If you want help from a Cyberlink EMPLOYEE; send Tech Support a message.

Just a reminder that this forum is primarily visited by USERS.

BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
CaptainMarko1
[Post New]
Absolutely, I intend to. I am more concerned that others may have found a working setup. Or that some are having issues like myself.

The hardware required to use the software is what seems to be problematic.
Peter99 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 26, 2016 12:53 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I have recently purchased an UHD Bluray movie to play using PowerDVD 15 (since it was a feature listed) and I have not had any luck. [...]
Where have you seen this feature and the following logo in connection with PowerDVD 15? I don't think there's any software out there to play UHD-BDs yet.

official UHD-BD logo
CaptainMarko1
[Post New]
I made an assumption based around the fact that calling a video file UHD 4K was too specific and it was therefore the media marketed as the same name.

I suppose there is a chance that version 16 will have been developed concurrently with the standard that the physical players use.
Jeff R 1 [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Jan 09, 2010 14:05 Messages: 176 Offline
[Post New]
Read these forum posts, starting from the specific link I gave.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-home-theater-computers/2293498-uhd-blu-ray-disc-bdxl-drive-test-request-3.html#post41583457

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-home-theater-computers/2364137-power-dvd-15-uhd-playback-deceiving.html#post42350353

I asked Cyberlink about this and they're not at liberty to say anything.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Mar 18. 2016 01:53

Jets2011
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Sep 29, 2006 05:26 Messages: 760 Offline
[Post New]
Hello,

Peter99 is correct, it does not list UHD Blu-ray playback as a feature in PowerDVD 15 on the CyberLink web site. The absense of the official logo is the telling sign.

Also, in the marketing wording it says:

"Enjoy Ultra HD Video on Your Own Big Screen

With overlay rendering PowerDVD is able to better render video in accordance with the monitor it is being played on. When PowerDVD detects a 4K video file and a 4K monitor, Overlay Mode is automatically engaged to optimize the rendering pipeline and reduce the graphic resource load, delivering smooth, lag-free playback."

Maybe version 16.

Dave
Peter99 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 26, 2016 12:53 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
It's official. No UHD-BD support in PowerDVD 16, ouch!
Jeff R 1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: It's official. No UHD-BD support in PowerDVD 16, ouch!

I believe you, but where did you hear this "officially" ?

And that sucks !

EDIT:

Never mind, found it over at myce.com

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 20. 2016 14:12

CaptainMarko1
[Post New]
Thanks guys, I went to the site to see the news. http://www.myce.com/news/download-powerdvd-16-78906/

And then, I promptly got a refund for my PowerDVD 15 because it let me down. I am completely ready to play these discs and then the "best" software is unsupportive. They had a long time to get this implemented.
Jeff R 1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
You're not missing much, I got so impatient I went and blew the almost 700.00$ bucks here in Canada for a Samsung UBD-K8500. I use my HTPC, MPC-HC, MadVR and a Sony 300ES 4K projector.
I could not see any real difference with "X-Men, The Days of Future Past". With "Chappie" (which was drawn from a 4K master) I noticed that the trees and the beginning of scene 3 were sharper _ the 1080p Blu-ray with my HTPC was not as sharp _ almost 720p resolution, that was just with the trees though, everything else appeared just as clear and sharp as the 2160p Blu-ray as with the 1080p version.
No difference with the "Peanuts Movie" either. If you have HDR and a display that can make use of the wider colour pallet, then apparently that is more noticeable, but I have been told that these early UHD releases are still using REC.709 colour space, like the old Blu-rays.
I'm returning the Samsung player.

If and or when Cyberlink does release a version that will play UHD discs, I will buy it, mainly because I can buy an AMD video card and use its Smooth Motion feature _ my 300es doesn't have it's Smoothe Motion function at 2160p.

And the other problem with that is AMD has no video card (yet ???) that is HDCP 2.2 enabled or an HDMI port that is HDMI 2.0 enabled.

There was so much frame judder on X-Men, it pretty much spoiled the movie for me.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Mar 21. 2016 21:52

mike.T [Avatar]
Member Joined: May 17, 2012 05:05 Messages: 67 Offline
[Post New]
As far as I know, to play UHD-BD title on PC. You'll need an Optical Disc Drive that supports UHD-BD, but so far there's no ODD available for PC that supports UHD-BD.
So maybe the era of UHD-BD on PC is not yet come, but I think they probably is on the way to go.
Jeff R 1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Mike, see this thread, I started you at post 65, Dougindy was the first to report that a BDXL drive can see the files on a UHD disc.
I also asked LG about this, and have received no answer, I tapped them on the shoulder and was told to be patient _ it's been a good couple of weeks now.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-home-theater-computers/2293498-uhd-blu-ray-disc-bdxl-drive-test-request-3.html#post41583457
CaptainMarko1
[Post New]
I have been told that if you buy a new enough BDXL disc drive, one that can read a 66 GB disc, you will be set.

We are currently waiting for a legitimate software solution, one that legally decodes them. And if anyone has heard any wind on software that is in development, let u know.

Nobody has taken it upon themselves to appease the Bluray company.
nullack [Avatar]
Member Joined: Dec 29, 2010 04:09 Messages: 139 Offline
[Post New]
Jeff the real benefit is not so much the 4K resolution, it is the 10 bit colour space with HDR and true life colours. The difference there is truly night and day but you need the gear for it. As it stands PowerDVD has no support for 10 bit GPU accelerated content in 4K for either VP9 or HEVC. You need to be using madVR configured right, with nightly builds of ffmpeg based lav filters. Then I found on my GTX 960 atleast that VP9 and HEVC in high bit colour was GPU accelerated.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 22. 2016 01:53

Simon P [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 05, 2014 07:46 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: As far as I know, to play UHD-BD title on PC. You'll need an Optical Disc Drive that supports UHD-BD, but so far there's no ODD available for PC that supports UHD-BD.
So maybe the era of UHD-BD on PC is not yet come, but I think they probably is on the way to go.

You also need a graphics card that supports HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 and also supports 4K protected content. TV - Samsung UE55F6670
Sound - Yamaha RX-A2040/4x B&W DM602 S3/2x B&W DM601 S3/B&W LCR60 S3 Centre/B&W ASW1000 Sub/2x Onkyo SKH-410
HTPC - Gigabyte EP35 DS3 v2.1/E8400@3.00/4GB Crucial Ballistix/Sapphire R7 250X 1GB DDR5/PowerDVD 14
Jeff R 1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Jeff the real benefit is not so much the 4K resolution, it is the 10 bit colour space with HDR and true life colours. The difference there is truly night and day but you need the gear for it. As it stands PowerDVD has no support for 10 bit GPU accelerated content in 4K for either VP9 or HEVC. You need to be using madVR configured right, with nightly builds of ffmpeg based lav filters. Then I found on my GTX 960 atleast that VP9 and HEVC in high bit colour was GPU accelerated.

I'm not that sensitive to things like colour and HDR, I have to have side X side comparisons to see the difference with those things, but what I am sensitive to is resolution and motion.

However even with the higher resolution, it was a barely noticable improvement, especially on just the upconverted 2K UHD discs.

The other disasterous thing is that they are not using HFR (at this point).

I'm even more sensitive to 24 fps judder. I can solve this with Cyberlink and AMD's smooth motion (mote waiting there for an AMD card enabled with HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2)

Or MPC-HC and the proper output filters, including a computer based FI program like SVP or DmitriRender.

And even more waiting there, if that is even going to happen, but would not require HDCP 2.2.

Sigh....

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 22. 2016 12:51

CaptainMarko1
[Post New]
I can definitely agree that more hardware may be required. I would be completely fine waiting for all these pieces to get sorted out, IF somebody on the PC side (AMD, Nvidia, Cyberlink, etc) would come forward and say they would work on it.

So I suppose we should just watch out and report it.
Jeff R 1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
The GTX 950/960 are already capable of running UHD and are HDCP 2.2 enabled.
The Pascals are just around the corner with more guts and DP 1.3.
I think some time in April.
nullack [Avatar]
Member Joined: Dec 29, 2010 04:09 Messages: 139 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I can definitely agree that more hardware may be required. I would be completely fine waiting for all these pieces to get sorted out, IF somebody on the PC side (AMD, Nvidia, Cyberlink, etc) would come forward and say they would work on it.

So I suppose we should just watch out and report it.

My GTX 960 mate already does HDMI 2/HDCP 2.2, it has native 10 bit full hardware decode engines (not some hybrid like older GPUs but full native decode acceleration) in *botb* HEVC and VP9

Using free open source software (they're killing you Cyberlink the FFMPEG based stuff actually works!!!!) I can do full hardwarde accelerated VP9 and HEVC in 10 bit, including 125 Mbps material at 60 FPS in 4K UHD resolution.

WIth lav filters, madVR and MPCHC/BE like Jeff Mentions I can do frame inteloperation for fixing any juddger with specific FPS content

Whats missing is the drivers for UHD discs being able to be read, and the software to crack all the DRM. Sadly, Slysoft were bulled out by the media carterls and we need a new group to front up and demonstrate a way to defeat UHD DRM. Once thats done, eveything else is available ENTIRELY FOR FREE AND JUST WORKS and is ready to go now right now.