Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
saved files won't reload when I return to edit the video - SOLVED
GaryAthensGA [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 18, 2012 09:21 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
I have read several previous posts regarding the .pds file not saving source video files and I am not sure I understand how to ensure that files are saved when doing multiple edits on a video. Specifically, I give my students an assignment where they have to produce a karaoke video and then I strip the names from the videos to show a large composite video to the entire class. So I have a set of video files that I import into power director, then I put them into a video and edit/delete the names of say of some of the files. I then save the partially completed video as a .pds file, but when I open it later for further work the video source files have disappeared and the video is just composed of blank frames on the time line with an error message saying that source files can't be found. I understand that powerdirector is just establishing a link to the files on my storage medium (although it can't seem to find them unless they're in the same folder. But those are the original files with the student's names on them. Surely I don't have to individually edit each student video and resave without the name. Help me Obi Wan Kanobe.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 15. 2016 20:03

Gary D. Grossman
CS2014
Senior Contributor Location: USA-Eastern Time Zone Joined: Sep 16, 2014 16:44 Messages: 629 Offline
[Post New]
The original video clips(files) remain intact if I understand PD. When you change their name - PD goes looking for that original file name. So if you change the names - then PD looks for the old names and can't find them.

Make COPIES of the original files and put them in a folder that you will work out of for the project. Change the names BEFORE you Import or drag them into PD.

Does this help?

CS PD13 Ultimate - Build 3516, WIN 8.1, 64 Bit, 16G RAM, Intel Core i5 4460, CPU @ 3.2GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GT720, Graphics Memory(total avail.)-4093MB
LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray Drive
Richmond Dan
Senior Contributor Location: Richmond, VA Joined: Aug 07, 2014 17:17 Messages: 673 Offline
[Post New]
Yep, PD always goes looking for the file it imported, both its name and its location. So changing anything about the source file after importing will confuse poor PD...

(There is an exception, called "packing" a project, but I don't think that would help in your situation.)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 14. 2016 17:38

Regards,
Dan
Power Director 21-Ultimate
v 21.0.3111.0
XPS-8940, Win-10 64-bit,
Intel Core i9-10900 processor
(10 core, 20M Cache),
32GB DDR4 RAM, 2TB M.2 PCIe NVME SSD, 2TB 7200 RPM SATA HDD,
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
jcardana
Senior Contributor Location: USA-NM Joined: Aug 04, 2014 10:11 Messages: 650 Offline
[Post New]
I have an analogy...

Let's say you're starting a new project. Every file you import, you write the name and location on a notepad. Everything you move to the timeline, you write notes on the notepad. All trims, cuts, transitions and any other "modifications"... you write down what you do on the notepad.

When you "save" the project. Your actually saving the notes you've made. Nothing with the original files have changed. In a couple weeks, you rearrange some folders and files to tidy up your drive. Then, another month later when you sit down again at PD and you break out that notepad. You go to find the files you had before but, you can't. They've been moved.

Does this make sense? CyberPowerPC | Win7HP-64 | AMD FX-8320 3.5 Ghz | 8GB Mem | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB | WEI 5.9

My Video Editing Computer
| My DirectX Diagnostics

PowerDirector 15.0.2820.0 | PhotoDirector 7.0.7504.0 | AudioDirector 6.0.5902.0 | ColorDirector 4.0.4627.0 | Power2Go 9.0.2602.0

Sutter Hill SDA Church
| Anadrac_Organ_Works | My_Youtube_Channel
jcardana
Senior Contributor Location: USA-NM Joined: Aug 04, 2014 10:11 Messages: 650 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: So I have a set of video files that I import into power director, then I put them into a video and edit/delete the names of say of some of the files.
To re-iterate what CS2014 said. You have these two steps backwards. Change the filename, then import. CyberPowerPC | Win7HP-64 | AMD FX-8320 3.5 Ghz | 8GB Mem | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB | WEI 5.9

My Video Editing Computer
| My DirectX Diagnostics

PowerDirector 15.0.2820.0 | PhotoDirector 7.0.7504.0 | AudioDirector 6.0.5902.0 | ColorDirector 4.0.4627.0 | Power2Go 9.0.2602.0

Sutter Hill SDA Church
| Anadrac_Organ_Works | My_Youtube_Channel
GaryAthensGA [Avatar]
[Post New]
Sorry apparently I was unclear in my original post, although I think my question has been answered. I am importing 15 files into PD and then editing the individual files in PD. So I have 15 students who have made videos but when I want to show the composite movie I cut the student names out of the files in the composite. *I am not changing the names of the files themselves.* It seems if I don't finish the whole project and produce to mp4 format PD loses all of those edited files, because it goes back to the originals unedited files instead (actually many times it doesn't even do that even though they've been imported and are still in the same folder as the PD pds file). So if I can't complete a project and have edited files in it, it seems as if I have to save each edited file individually and keep them in the same folder as the pds file. If that's true it sucks. Why doesn't PD save my edited files when I save an edited pds movie? Am I wrong about this? Gary D. Grossman
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: If that's true it sucks. Why doesn't PD save my edited files when I save an edited pds movie? Am I wrong about this?

You haven't produced any movies or new video by saving an edited pds file. You have to produce the edited movie. The pds file is nothing more than a text file describing your editing on the clips. Open the pds file with notepad. Tell us what you see. Produce that movie or video.

There are no video editing software that I know of including win movie maker that will automatically produce a movie or video by saving the project file. none.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 15. 2016 21:48

Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Sorry apparently I was unclear in my original post, although I think my question has been answered. I am importing 15 files into PD and then editing the individual files in PD. So I have 15 students who have made videos but when I want to show the composite movie I cut the student names out of the files in the composite. *I am not changing the names of the files themselves.* It seems if I don't finish the whole project and produce to mp4 format PD loses all of those edited files, because it goes back to the originals unedited files instead (actually many times it doesn't even do that even though they've been imported and are still in the same folder as the PD pds file). So if I can't complete a project and have edited files in it, it seems as if I have to save each edited file individually and keep them in the same folder as the pds file. If that's true it sucks. Why doesn't PD save my edited files when I save an edited pds movie? Am I wrong about this?
1. Powerdirector does not modify any original file.

2. To complete a edit, you must Produce that video. All of the the edits are reflected in the Produced video.

3. Never change the name of any of the original files. You can change the name before you import the files into the Library window of Powerdirector. Moving or renaming the original files after importing into the PD Library will result in no file and nothing in the timeline except for black placeholders where the files should be.

Edit:corrected Spelling

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 15. 2016 21:38

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Richmond Dan
Senior Contributor Location: Richmond, VA Joined: Aug 07, 2014 17:17 Messages: 673 Offline
[Post New]
When people edited physical film, they made an "edit decision list". Per Wikpedia, "An edit decision list or EDL is used in the post-production process of film editing and video editing. The list contains an ordered list of reel and timecode data representing where each video clip can be obtained in order to perform the final cut."

The PDS file you save is nothing more than an EDL. You haven't saved any of your edited work until it's produced (which is the third or fourth time we've bothered you with the same info ).

P.S. If you've heard of "Final Cut Pro", it is Apple's editing software, taking its name from the produced output mentioned above.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 15. 2016 15:55

Regards,
Dan
Power Director 21-Ultimate
v 21.0.3111.0
XPS-8940, Win-10 64-bit,
Intel Core i9-10900 processor
(10 core, 20M Cache),
32GB DDR4 RAM, 2TB M.2 PCIe NVME SSD, 2TB 7200 RPM SATA HDD,
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
GaryAthensGA [Avatar]
[Post New]
Okay, got it, thanks for your help. Gary D. Grossman
CS2014
Senior Contributor Location: USA-Eastern Time Zone Joined: Sep 16, 2014 16:44 Messages: 629 Offline
[Post New]
Gary - if you understand - I wonder if we can ask a favor of you?

If you are confident about what you have learned - could you please go back into the first post you made in this thread and hit the edit button in the subject line. Then add to the subject line the word 'SOLVED' or something like that so that others know there was a solution.

But, I want to make sure you understand the information regarding your question first - BEFORE you edit the subject line. Do you 'get it' now?

CS

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Mar 15. 2016 18:26

PD13 Ultimate - Build 3516, WIN 8.1, 64 Bit, 16G RAM, Intel Core i5 4460, CPU @ 3.2GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GT720, Graphics Memory(total avail.)-4093MB
LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray Drive