Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
***** PowerDirector 14 patch (v2707) **** 2016-03-14
1030PaulHarvey [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 16, 2015 15:32 Messages: 36 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I have also had this problem with PD14 crashing after updating to 7207.

However in my case I tracked the problem to being caused by some problem/conflict with Nvidia`s last couple of drivers

I kept getting the crash in PD14, tried everything like clean install, add more ram and still kept happening

So I took my video`s on to my other pc which is a very similar spec except for the Nvidia card and found that PD14 worked fine

So I then came back on to my main pc and tried again and still kept crashing, so I uninstalled all Nvidia software & drivers then ran PD14 and it ran perfect again

So after trying some different drivers, I found the last Nvidia driver that I could use without getting crashes was version 359.06

This may not help those of you with another brand of card, but for those with a Nvidia card, it maybe worth a try.

Thanks James. I checked with Nvidia and found the latest driver for my card is 341.95. I just installed it but it made no difference. Doesn't matter though. Powerdirector ran fine with my old driver (241.81). Nothing went wrong until I installed the patch. Thanks for helping anyway; hopefully your info will help others!

Paul
1030PaulHarvey [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 16, 2015 15:32 Messages: 36 Offline
[Post New]
FYI to all: Powerdirector support contacted me with several suggestions. I had already tried them all except for one: disabling hardware acceleration. After I did that, things seemed to go back to normal. Yay!

Thanks everyone for trying to help!

PaulHarvey
kees55 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 13, 2014 15:35 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Why is the release date changed from 2016-03-14 to 2016-03-22?

Something changed?
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Why is the release date changed from 2016-03-14 to 2016-03-22?

Something changed?

You raise a good point. All software has bugs and occasionally a new release is significantly flawed out of the gate, the response to such actions determines if my $’s continue to come back. All I want to say is CL patch release has been a complete failure. What’s acceptable about a company releasing patch 2527 and then pulling with very little explanation to assist users other than a brief note in a "user only" forum for nearly a month while 2707 was released on 3/14? I’d suggest keep your user base informed or risk the loss. Furthermore, 2527 installed some additional files in C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDirector14\ExpressProject which are not part of 2707 release for the problematic pulled 2527 release. If really not part of release, why not remove them when 2707 patch was applied? These appear to be duplicates created by perhaps a wrong install path and appear to create duplicate menu items for those that use ExpressProject feature. Just plain sloppy to me. My guess is those that have a C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDirector14\ExpressProject\151126_Action_M folder installed the 2527 patch, those that don’t have it, skipped the initial botched 2527 and only installed 2707 for the three basic **Action2** folders in the stated directory.

And now, as you stated, a new dated 2707 release, but is it new? No comments at all to assist end consumers in the release notes. I'm 100% certain it's not identical, but does it matter? From what I surmise, of the ~175 files that make up the patch, some ~30 are different. Some of these differences are benign logs, some are dlls, some exe files, all with non-identical binaries to the previous 3/14 2707 release. Significant, I'm not not sure, I guess simply install this latest release and you have the latest CL has to offer, good or bad.

Jeff

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Mar 25. 2016 09:14

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: My guess is those that have a C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDirector14\ExpressProject\151126_Action_M folder
installed the 2527 patch, those that don’t have it, skipped the initial botched 2527 and only installed 2707 for the three basic **Action2** folders in the stated directory.

That's way better than a guess, Jeff! I installed both patches and that's exactly what I have.

Maybe it's time for a clean out.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
[Post New]
I produced a video today and the performance of PD was so much better than in the past. I can only attribute it to the patch.

I use footage from the same cameras, and the workflow is also like in the past. I installed the patch last week I believe. Website
YouTube
Eugen157
Senior Contributor Location: Palm Springs area, So.CA Joined: Dec 10, 2012 13:57 Messages: 662 Offline
[Post New]
Using V2707, edited a 30 min 4K video w/o any problems, not any faster or slower. Shadow files now generate almost twice as fast. That is better but 4X should be doable, there is enough horsepower left.

Totally agree with Jeff

Gene

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Mar 27. 2016 01:10

73s, WA6JZN ex DL9GC
CYBERLINK PLEASE ADD UHD BLU RAY BURNING SOFTWARE
PD14,
Win10,64bit.CPU i7 6700,16GB ,C= 480 GB SSD ,GPU GTX1060 6GB 1 fan. Plus 3 int, 4 ext HDD's for video etc.LG WH16NS40 reads UHD.
4K 24" ViewSonic monitor.Camera Sony FDR-A
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
Following the posts in the thread, I did some checking. From what I gather, the changes made, to the revamped patch, were to correct installation deficiencies/mistakes re the placing of patch data that could have led to unexpected crashing. I should have been but was not informed of the issue (to advise members). I think that kees55 and JL_JL were right to post as they did.
Dafydd
[Post New]
So would anyone recommend downloading the patch at this time? The main issue I'm having right now is with the produce times. However, I don't want to make anything else worse...
[Post New]
Yes you can without any trouble.
[Post New]
Can you confirm we only need to install the last update or shall we have to install each update one by one ? Does the last update include all previous update?
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Can you confirm we only need to install the last update or shall we have to install each update one by one ? Does the last update include all previous update?

The last update is all that's required to update to that particular version.

Jeff
Angel Fire Hamons [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Angel Fire, NM Joined: Dec 04, 2013 20:24 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
Is there any way to uninstall this patch, or do I have to do a complete uninstall of the program and reinstall (if so...what a PITA).

With the new patch (2707), whenever I enter "Full Feature Editor", the program completely crashes hard. Filled out the crash report with email and details, but wonder if anyone is getting any feedback from Cyberlink on this. Definitely the worst patch problem I have ever experienced with them.

Anyone with hints while I wait on support is appreciated.

S. Hamons
[Post New]
There is not way to remove the update only. But there should be something in your issue not related to this patch. This patch works without crash.

Did you install new graphic card driver ?

If you have nvidia and if you have made the process to use NVIDIA GPU described in another post , you have to repeat it again so that PD14 will not crash.
[Post New]
Thanks. Yes, I had done the nVideo GPU optimization and am using the latest GeForce drivers (364.72). I can't go in and turn this back on, because as soon as I launch PowerDirector, it hard crashes, so there is no opportunity to go into the editing settings to reenable GPU acceleration.

Just for notes, rig is:

Intel i7-4770 3.40 GHz
24 GB RAM2 TB SATA Drive primary
GeForce GTX 660 Video Card w driver 364.72
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
[Post New]
You are close to the solution. After mod you have launched Pd14 from PDr14.exe. After update you now use pdr.exe

So in your CyberLink pd folder you have to change pdr.exe to pdr14.exe

Check this again

HI DocDaddy & other editors, I have received a reply (from CyberLink) which I will now quote from: ********************* The issue is actually the restriction of the software NVIDIA Control Panel but not PowerDirector issue. We (CyberLink) made a workaround to avoid the restriction but there might be side effect of issues. It is suggested that you back up the original modules before they are replaced by the provided workaround module. == For Intel/NVIDIA hybrid GPU platforms, there is a mechanism in the NVIDIA Control Panel to manage which third party software is allowed to use dGPU. The mechanism is managed by NVIDIA, not by CyberLink. CyberLink PowerDirector supports NVIDIA GPU, based on NVIDIA's specification, when there is no restriction. There is a workaround solution to let this kind of hybrid platform use the dGPU, but results in side effects for specific platform with specific VGA drivers. The resulting side effect is the preview window becomes a black screen during previewing when hardware decoding is enabled. The issue cannot be resolved from the software side. To implement the workaround, please follow the steps below: 1. Go to PowerDirector installation folder. Find the 2 files "PDR.exe" and "PDR.exe.manifest" and rename them to "PDR14.exe" and "PDR14.exe.manifest". 2. Download the file "GpuUtility.dll" and copy the file to the path C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDirector14\CESdlls\ 32bit: http://download.cyberlink.com/ftpdload/cs/tool/GpuUtility/32bit/GpuUtility.dll 64bit: http://download.cyberlink.com/ftpdload/cs/tool/GpuUtility/64bit/GpuUtility.dll 3. Download the files "GpuUtilityEx_ENABLE_VGA.exe" and "GpuUtilityEx_ENABLE_VGA.exe.manifest" and copy the files to the path C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDirector14 [GpuUtilityEx_ENABLE_VGA.exe] 32bit:http://download.cyberlink.com/ftpdload/cs/tool/Gpu...it/GpuUtilityEx_ENABLE_VGA.exe64bit:http://download.cyberlink.com/ftpdload/cs/tool/Gpu...it/GpuUtilityEx_ENABLE_VGA.exe[GpuUtilityEx_ENABLE_VGA.exe.manifest] 32bit:http://download.cyberlink.com/ftpdload/cs/tool/Gpu...lityEx_ENABLE_VGA.exe.manifest64bit:http://download.cyberlink.com/ftpdload/cs/tool/Gpu...lityEx_ENABLE_VGA.exe.manifest4. Reboot your computer. 5. After rebooting, right click on PDR14.exe and choose the option to run the software by NVIDIA GPU. It is suggested that you back up the original modules before they are replaced by the provided workaround module. ==

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 17. 2016 14:24

JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: You are close to the solution. After mod you have launched Pd14 from PDr14.exe. After update you now use pdr.exe

So in your CyberLink pd folder you have to change pdr.exe to pdr14.exe

Check this again

HI DocDaddy & other editors, I have received a reply (from CyberLink) which I will now quote from: ********************* The issue is actually the restriction of the software NVIDIA Control Panel but not PowerDirector issue. We (CyberLink) made a workaround to avoid the restriction but there might be side effect of issues. It is suggested that you back up the original modules before they are replaced by the provided workaround module. == For Intel/NVIDIA hybrid GPU platforms, there is a mechanism in the NVIDIA Control Panel to manage which third party software is allowed to use dGPU. The mechanism is managed by NVIDIA, not by CyberLink. CyberLink PowerDirector supports NVIDIA GPU, based on NVIDIA's specification, when there is no restriction. There is a workaround solution to let this kind of hybrid platform use the dGPU, but results in side effects for specific platform with specific VGA drivers. The resulting side effect is the preview window becomes a black screen during previewing when hardware decoding is enabled. The issue cannot be resolved from the software side. To implement the workaround, please follow the steps below: 1. Go to PowerDirector installation folder. Find the 2 files "PDR.exe" and "PDR.exe.manifest" and rename them to "PDR14.exe" and "PDR14.exe.manifest". 2. Download the file "GpuUtility.dll" and copy the file to the path C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDirector14\CESdlls\ 32bit: http://download.cyberlink.com/ftpdload/cs/tool/GpuUtility/32bit/GpuUtility.dll 64bit: http://download.cyberlink.com/ftpdload/cs/tool/GpuUtility/64bit/GpuUtility.dll 3. Download the files "GpuUtilityEx_ENABLE_VGA.exe" and "GpuUtilityEx_ENABLE_VGA.exe.manifest" and copy the files to the path C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDirector14 [GpuUtilityEx_ENABLE_VGA.exe] 32bit:http://download.cyberlink.com/ftpdload/cs/tool/Gpu...it/GpuUtilityEx_ENABLE_VGA.exe64bit:http://download.cyberlink.com/ftpdload/cs/tool/Gpu...it/GpuUtilityEx_ENABLE_VGA.exe[GpuUtilityEx_ENABLE_VGA.exe.manifest] 32bit:http://download.cyberlink.com/ftpdload/cs/tool/Gpu...lityEx_ENABLE_VGA.exe.manifest64bit:http://download.cyberlink.com/ftpdload/cs/tool/Gpu...lityEx_ENABLE_VGA.exe.manifest4. Reboot your computer. 5. After rebooting, right click on PDR14.exe and choose the option to run the software by NVIDIA GPU. It is suggested that you back up the original modules before they are replaced by the provided workaround module. ==

Angel Fire Hamons notes a desktop i7-4770 with a desktop GPU, GTX660, in the rig note so none of the above should apply.

Angel Fire Hamons, can you describe what you mean by "I had done the nVideo GPU optimization", what optimization describe approach, or by chance do you simply mean installation? Understanding what you've done key to identifying if maybe a simple solution is available for you.

Jeff
[Post New]
Gtx660 is nvidia so this should apply. Why not?

In addition he should remove Geforce experience if he has installed

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 18. 2016 00:05

JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Gtx660 is nvidia so this should apply. Why not?

Yes, a GTX660 not a 660m.

Since you think the approach is applicable, post some proof, lets see a pic of switchable graphics contextual menu functional on a desktop GTX660 (or any other desktop Nvidia GPU) with the mods you suggested. I'd like to see that.

Jeff
[Post New]
Sorry for the late response to the previous posts - but I am traveling for work this week.

To clarify a couple of items:

My desktop computer does not have integrated graphics and another PCI-E Graphics card. The only graphics card I have is the NVidia GTX660, so there is no conflict there.

As for the nVidia GPU optimizations, what I mean by that is that I have uninstalled the GEForce Experience Application, and have gone into the nVidia control panel, 3d setttings, and assured that PowerDirector is properly registered and set to us application specific settings.

Although I don't have the Intel / nVidia hybrid platform, I am open to giving the workaround a shot.

Let it be noted that the workaround states that the side effect the workaround is attempting to solve for is: "The preview window becomes a black screen during previewing when hardware decoding is enabled". This is not the behavior I am experiencing. My problem is that with the latest patch, upon attempting to open the "Full Featured Editor", I experience a hard crash. I can't get to a point of using the software to see any odd behaviors other than the crash itself. I have sent crash files to Cyberlink, but not received a response yet.

I get home on Friday and can give the workaround above a shot at that time.

Thanks everyone for weighing in on this. This is the first Cyberlink patch that I have installed in 4 years that has caused a problem.

Spencer
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote:
My desktop computer does not have integrated graphics and another PCI-E Graphics card. The only graphics card I have is the NVidia GTX660, so there is no conflict there.

Every i7-4770 version CPU has a integrated Intel HD Graphics 4600 GPU as part of the CPU. So yes, you have one, if you use it or not is up to you.

Quote: Let it be noted that the workaround states that the side effect the workaround is attempting to solve for is: "The preview window becomes a black screen during previewing when hardware decoding is enabled". This is not the behavior I am experiencing.

That's not what the workaround is trying to solve, that is the shortfall of the workaround. The workaround solves switchable graphics for such platforms that support it.

Quote: My problem is that with the latest patch, upon attempting to open the "Full Featured Editor", I experience a hard crash. I can't get to a point of using the software to see any odd behaviors other than the crash itself. I have sent crash files to Cyberlink, but not received a response yet.

If that hard crash is really from the patch, I think your correct path would be to work with CL support. I doubt you will every get a response from simply returning the CL crash data, CL support https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do

Again, can you describe what you mean by "I had done the nVideo GPU optimization", what optimization describe approach, or by chance do you simply mean installation? Understanding what you've done key to identifying if maybe a simple solution is available for you.

Jeff