Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDVD 9 OEM how to update
random11 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 17, 2016 15:44 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
I have PowerDVD 9.0.7403.02

It is an OEM version that came with my blu ray drive.

It wont play my latest movies because of the aacs keys being out of date.

I have tried to do Ctrl+A then upgrade (which I was told to do from your support page http://www.cyberlink.com/support/product-faq-content.do?id=4535) but only an empty list shows up of "avaiable upgrade, path and plig-in packs"

How do I fix this so I can watch movies again?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 17. 2016 15:57

RobertJ/OZ [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne Australia Joined: Aug 14, 2006 02:26 Messages: 1209 Offline
[Post New]
PowerDVD 9 is no longer supported by CyberLink, your only option is to purchase PowerDVD 15, download the trial and test it Intel i7 930, 16GB ram, Radeon HD 5770 1Gb,Ver. 14.12 Win7 64 bit
Intel i7 7700 HQ, 16 GB ram Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB dual drives 1 TB SSD + 1 TB HDD Win 10

PDtoots
random11 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: PowerDVD 9 is no longer supported by CyberLink, your only option is to purchase PowerDVD 15, download the trial and test it

No, I will not buy a newer version. That is backwards and idiotic. All that is needed is the updates to the AACS keys so I can play my movie. If they seriously want to hold the AACS keys ransom behind an upgrade that you have to pay for, that just makes me less likely to ever buy any product from them ever. Why would I invest money into a piece of software if in a few years they say that the thing I just paid for wont work and I will have to buy a whole new licenses, just to continue to do what the original software was doing. Especially idiotic when the AACS keys update is such a small thing that can't take all that much effort to maintain.

Also this post on their update page seems to contradict what you say: http://www.cyberlink.com/support/powerdvd-ultra/patches_en_US.html

"As the development phase of CyberLink PowerDVD 9 retail version has now ended, there will be no further Blu-ray Disc compatibility updates for this version. If you have PowerDVD 9 Ultra retail version installed, you can click here to download and install an update to PowerDVD 12 Ultra build 5612 for free."

"Note: This is for PowerDVD retail and online purchase versions only. To check the updates for hardware bundled versions, click here for instructions."

So yes they may no longer support 9 but they are letting people freely update to 12. I have the OEM version so I follewed their instructions but it sent me to the link I provided in my original post, which when I followed the instructions didn't seem to work. But clearly they are offering a free upgrade of some kind to PowerDVD 9 version. I just want to know how to install the upgrade.
RobertJ/OZ [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne Australia Joined: Aug 14, 2006 02:26 Messages: 1209 Offline
[Post New]
But you did not purchase PowerDVD 9, your OEM version was provided free with your DVD drive. You cannot expect CyberLink to provide a free upgrade to the retail version of PowerDVD 12, from a free OEM version.
Also that statement from CyberLink is very old and probably no longer applies Intel i7 930, 16GB ram, Radeon HD 5770 1Gb,Ver. 14.12 Win7 64 bit
Intel i7 7700 HQ, 16 GB ram Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB dual drives 1 TB SSD + 1 TB HDD Win 10

PDtoots
random11 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: But you did not purchase PowerDVD 9, your OEM version was provided free with your DVD drive. You cannot expect CyberLink to provide a free upgrade to the retail version of PowerDVD 12, from a free OEM version.
Also that statement from CyberLink is very old and probably no longer applies

So many things wrong...

You are correct that I did not purchase a full license, HOWEVER I did purchase a blu ray drive that had a deal with cyberlink to provide its customers with a copy of the oem version. A portion of my money that I spent on that blu ray drive went to cyberlink. OEM does not equal free. Just because I did not physically hand the money to cyberlink doesn't mean they didn't get paid.

Also I was not expecting them to provide a free upgrade to the retail version of 12. All I wanted was them to keep letting 9 get the AACS updates, if they don't want to support 9 anymore then yes I do expect them to do something that will allow me to continue to watch movies, without having to buy new software that I don't need. Im sure there is an OEM version of 12 out there, an upgrade to that would work just as well.

You assume the statement is old, its not. The update indicating that all version 9/10/11's would get the update to 12 for free was posted on 2015-09-08, it says that right on their page.

Finally an analogy, if you bought a brand new tv from the store, and it came with a free blu ray player. And then a few years later the player still works perfectly, but it just wont play brand new movies anymore because the manufacture "no longer supports that model". Would you expect the manufacturer to send a small update that would unlock your player and allow it to play the new movies or would you just say "oh well I guess I'll go buy a new blu ray player"? Personally I would want my blu ray player fixed, because if you are content with having to buy a new blu ray player one time, then you are going to need to keep buying new blu ray players every few years, just to watch any new movies you buy, which I think is just wrong.

If people don't have to put up with this from sony, then I equally dont think I should have to buy new software either.
RobertJ/OZ [Avatar]
[Post New]
That statement dated 2015/09/08 is only for the full retail version of PowerDVD 9, there is no mention that it applies to OEM versions, nor is any link provided for OEM versions
Why don't you contact CyberLink Support for their advice Intel i7 930, 16GB ram, Radeon HD 5770 1Gb,Ver. 14.12 Win7 64 bit

PDtoots
random11 [Avatar]
[Post New]
It says right above it "and for OEM click here"...

Also I figured support would check the forums
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
I had no problem updating PDVD 9 oem version to PDVD12 for free. More than lilely you are using win 10 or 8.1 so a free update won't help you anyway since you need to buy PDVD15.
jules16th [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 14, 2018 08:48 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I had no problem updating PDVD 9 oem version to PDVD12 for free. More than lilely you are using win 10 or 8.1 so a free update won't help you anyway since you need to buy PDVD15.
Okay, since I have had the same problem coming up recently - three recently manufactured BDs won't play in my OEM version of PDVD 9 - does this mean I can simply install version 12 without additional costs from this link http://update.cyberlink.com/Retail/Patch/PowerDVD/DL/TR150812-009/CyberLink_PowerDVD_Downloader.exe

(And yes, I have Windows 7, so thatshouldn't be a problem. But the site does say the update is only for retail versions of PDVD 9. I'm not so keen on having to rollback if the update doesn't work out...)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 14. 2018 09:35

tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
No. If you install that link for the retail version more than likely you PDVD9 will be uninstalled leaving you with nothing. If you reinstall PDVD9 then will lose the ability to play BD. OEM updates are done by clicking the up arrow next to the word PowerDVD at the top.

If there are no updates then let us know and either I will post the link or you can contact Cyberlink services and get the same links.
jules16th [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote No. If you install that link for the retail version more than likely you PDVD9 will be uninstalled leaving you with nothing. If you reinstall PDVD9 then will lose the ability to play BD. OEM updates are done by clicking the up arrow next to the word PowerDVD at the top.

If there are no updates then let us know and either I will post the link or you can contact Cyberlink services and get the same links.

All the update window keeps showing me is 80% off offers for CyberLink 17 (the current version). And when I try to update the AACS in order to play a new BD, it takes me to a non-existing website. Edit: This link http://www.cyberlink.com/prog/aacs/renewv3.jspp?SR=DVD110411-01&ProductNo=DVD00029&AutoBuildID=00021192

So yes, if you could post the link I'd be grateful...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 27. 2018 12:29

jules16th [Avatar]
[Post New]
So, any link?

Edit: The link I mentioned above couldn't install. During the process it told me that I didn't have the proper version installed, so that was that. Nothing broken.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 13. 2018 18:07

random11 [Avatar]
[Post New]
From my experience dealing with customer service they will not do anything for you if you only have an OEM license. The OEM distributor has to pay Cyberlink to provide updates and in my case LG didn't want to pay. LG told me to get leawo which works on newer movies (how they get the AACS keys idk) but they only provide the bare minimum. No support for menus etc. if the default video track isn't the main movie you'll have to pick it from a list of tracks.

If you want menu support and such you pretty much have no choice but to buy a new copy of power DVD. Google some coupons.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 13. 2018 22:11

tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
PDVD9 was created long before win 10 came into being here. Users using win 7 can upgrade the oem version to a PDVD12 limited version for free by using this Cyberlink link: https://www.cyberlink.com/prog/aacs/index.jsp . The same link can be obtained by contacting Cyberlink support for win 7 users if they choose to do so.
random11 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote PDVD9 was created long before win 10 came into being here. Users using win 7 can upgrade the oem version to a PDVD12 limited version for free by using this Cyberlink link: https://www.cyberlink.com/prog/aacs/index.jsp . The same link can be obtained by contacting Cyberlink support for win 7 users if they choose to do so.

Assuming that works... where were you two years ago? lol. I still have windows 7. The Cyberlink customer service never gave me any such link back then.
jules16th [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote PDVD9 was created long before win 10 came into being here. Users using win 7 can upgrade the oem version to a PDVD12 limited version for free by using this Cyberlink link: https://www.cyberlink.com/prog/aacs/index.jsp . The same link can be obtained by contacting Cyberlink support for win 7 users if they choose to do so.

I downloaded and installed a patch but it didn't change much. My discs are still not playing. But at least it took me from version 9.0.4308.52 to 9.0.7403.02...

Any attempts to visit the site again simply redirects me to the patch I already installed. This is getting annoying... yell
jules16th [Avatar]
[Post New]
I finally relented and bought version 17 at my local MediaMarkt (I prefer physical discs). Back home I noticed that it supposedly needs a CPU with 2.66 GHz, but my laptop only has 2.40 GHz... I installed it anyway and it seems to work. Even without an internet connection, it was able to play all those recent Blu-Ray discs (I assume the AACS of this version is very up to date).

So, I guess I'll activate it now.