Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Help needed - Can't get Cyberlink Powerdirector to use 960M GPU??? Frustrating!
booger182 [Avatar]
Member Location: New Zealand Joined: Mar 02, 2012 19:13 Messages: 52 Offline
[Post New]
Hey Team,

New to the forum here, so bare with me!

I finally convince my work to buy me a new laptop for a general workhorse, and had to be capable of video editing.

After much research, I have gone with a notebook with these specs:

Acer Nitro 17" - VN7-792G

Windows 10 Home, 64bit OS, x64 based-processor

16GB Ram

Intel Core i7-6700HQ CPU @2.60GHzGE FORCE 960M, 4GB

GEFORCE Driver Version361.75

I thought this would be great, and plenty grunty enough for hobby editing, but really wanted to try and run my preferred editing program, using the dedicated GPU, 960M.

But it will not let me choose it, and only allows it to run using the intergrated Intel graphics card.THis is becoming very frustrating, and would like to know if anyone has a fix for this?

I initially thought it may have been because I had an old version of Cyberlink powerdirector(12), so purchased the new version(14), but still have the same issue!So at this point, I feel I have spent $2500 on a machine, that I cannot maximise the video editing performance like I thought I could.

I did also download a trial version of Sony Vegas as a bit of a test, and this program allows me to choose the dedicated GPU, but powerdirector is what I have paid for, and learnt to use - so want to try and make it work.Powerdirector requirments show that it will work with Nvidia graphics, but no luck so far....

I can change the Global settings to High Performance Nvidia Processor, but when you look it the program settings, power director remains on Intergrated graphics, which is shaded out, meaning that this is the only optiion.

Another option I tried, was to right-click the Powerdirector application, 'run with graphics proccessor - High performance Nvidia' but this does not seem to work, as when I check the Nvidia GPU monitor, it does not show Powerdirector as being used by the GPU.

I have a few screenshots ready to go, but unsure how to post them in this thread.

Looking forward to some friendly help!

Cheers,

Tony Steer

New Zealand
[Thumb - NVIDIA.PNG]
 Filename
NVIDIA.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
16 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
198 time(s)
[Thumb - NITRO DETAILS.PNG]
 Filename
NITRO DETAILS.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
24 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
180 time(s)
[Thumb - WONT LET CHOOSE GPU.PNG]
 Filename
WONT LET CHOOSE GPU.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
29 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
182 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 05. 2016 18:00

PepsiMan
Senior Contributor Location: Clarksville, TN Joined: Dec 29, 2010 01:20 Messages: 1054 Offline
[Post New]
welcome to the forum.

Quote: Hey Team,

New to the forum here, so bare with me!

I finally convince my work to buy me a new laptop for a general workhorse, and had to be capable of video editing.

After much research, I have gone with a notebook with these specs:

Acer Nitro 17" - VN7-792G

Windows 10 Home, 64bit OS, x64 based-processor

16GB Ram

Intel Core i7-6700HQ CPU @2.60GHzGE FORCE 960M, 4GB

GEFORCE Driver Version361.75

I thought this would be great, and plenty grunty enough for hobby editing, but really wanted to try and run my preferred editing program, using the dedicated GPU, 960M.

But it will not let me choose it, and only allows it to run using the intergrated Intel graphics card.THis is becoming very frustrating, and would like to know if anyone has a fix for this?

I initially thought it may have been because I had an old version of Cyberlink powerdirector(12), so purchased the new version(14), but still have the same issue!So at this point, I feel I have spent $2500 on a machine, that I cannot maximise the video editing performance like I thought I could.

I did also download a trial version of Sony Vegas as a bit of a test, and this program allows me to choose the dedicated GPU, but powerdirector is what I have paid for, and learnt to use - so want to try and make it work.Powerdirector requirments show that it will work with Nvidia graphics, but no luck so far....

I can change the Global settings to High Performance Nvidia Processor, but when you look it the program settings, power director remains on Intergrated graphics, which is shaded out, meaning that this is the only optiion.

Another option I tried, was to right-click the Powerdirector application, 'run with graphics proccessor - High performance Nvidia' but this does not seem to work, as when I check the Nvidia GPU monitor, it does not show Powerdirector as being used by the GPU.

I have a few screenshots ready to go, but unsure how to post them in this thread.

Looking forward to some friendly help!

Cheers,

Tony Steer

New Zealand

sorry about that,

your frustration was addressed in this thread -> http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/46836.page

on page 2 under my post on that thread.

you must download files from CL and modify the PDR14.exe in order for you to use GTX 960M...

happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan

'garbage in garbage out'

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Feb 06. 2016 11:24

booger182 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Cheers Mate, I will have to have a proper read a bit later, but I know nothing about changing registry??? Should we really have to??

Also, which files are your refering to from CL?

Following your post on page 3, there seems to be no real easy fix??

I am just guttered I forked our all that money, and cant use the graphics card for PD! The laptop itself is primo for everything else so far!
[Post New]
I have the almost exact same laptop along with the same video card and I also thought I had the "right" video card.....The problem with tweaking the registry is some have had PD14 crashing issues and for me the only thing worst then slower rendering is an unstable program...

I removed the "GeForce Experience" and still the same issues....

I'm still frustrated and no real answer in sight....
booger182 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: I have the almost exact same laptop along with the same video card and I also thought I had the "right" video card.....The problem with tweaking the registry is some have had PD14 crashing issues and for me the only thing worst then slower rendering is an unstable program...

I removed the "GeForce Experience" and still the same issues....

I'm still frustrated and no real answer in sight....

Well mate, hopefully someone can help us out, as this sux!!!
Skibbbi [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 05, 2016 06:45 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
I have the same problem
PepsiMan
Senior Contributor Location: Clarksville, TN Joined: Dec 29, 2010 01:20 Messages: 1054 Offline
[Post New]
booger182

Skibbbi

xr650lou

Quote:

I am just guttered I forked our all that money, and cant use the graphics card for PD! The laptop itself is primo for everything else so far!

it isn't the CL, it's nVidia!

Quote:

Hi DocDaddy,

I have further information for you.

....The workaround is provided to the users who insist to use
dGPU in hybrid system and to also clarify it is not PowerDirector
restricts the capability to use the dGPU.

For the users who still question we (CyberLink) made some change in
PowerDirector 14 to cause the issue, we (CyberLink) have made a test to
show that PowerDirector 11, 12, 13 and 14 all can only choose the
integrated GPU in nVidia driver v361.43. The drop down list is disabled.
As described in the previous response, the mechanism is maintained by
nVidia and would be updated with VGA driver update.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 21/01/2016 04:22:30

Honesty disclosure: CyberLink have provided me their software products at no charge.

a workaround is on page 2 right under my post -> http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/25/46836.page

Quote:

Well mate, hopefully someone can help us out, as this sux!!!

it's up to you.

happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan

'garbage in garbage out'

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Feb 06. 2016 16:39

'no bridge too far'

Yashica Electro 8 LD-6 Super 8mm
Asrock TaiChi X470, AMD R7 2700X, W7P 64, MSI GTX1060 6GB, Corsair 16GB/RAM
Dell XPS L702X i7-2860QM, W7P / W10P 64, Intel HD3000/nVidia GT 550M 1GB, Micron 16GB/RAM
Samsung Galaxy Note3/NX1
Skibbbi [Avatar]
[Post New]
PepsiMan thanks,

But ...

Why my another program works OK. Sketchup use my 960M very hard, OctaneRender (rendering 3D i realtime use CUDA), Blender. Why this aplication can working with 960M but PowerDirector can't?

Please answer technical. I would like to write to Nvidia but I do not know the problem in detail. What PowerDirector does differently than Sketchup, Blender, OctaneRender?
PepsiMan
[Post New]
Quote: ... I would like to write to Nvidia but I do not know the problem in detail. What PowerDirector does differently than Sketchup, Blender, OctaneRender?

Quote: ...The workaround is provided to the users who insist to use dGPU in hybrid system and to also clarify it is not

PowerDirector restricts the capability to use the dGPU. For the users who still question we (CyberLink) made some change in

PowerDirector 14 to cause the issue, we (CyberLink) have made a test to show that PowerDirector 11, 12, 13 and 14 all

can only choose the integrated GPU in nVidia driver v361.43. The drop down list is disabled. As described in the

previous response, the mechanism is maintained by nVidia and would be updated with VGA driver update...

happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan

'garbage in garbage out'

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Feb 06. 2016 16:48

'no bridge too far'

Dell XPS L702X i7-2860QM, W7P / W10P 64, Intel HD3000/nVidia GT 550M 1GB, Micron 16GB/RAM
Samsung Galaxy Note3/NX1
booger182 [Avatar]
[Post New]
So how do we get this addressed? Both Parties (cyberlink & Nvidia) should want each other product to work with each other.

I have a Time-lapse compilation to put together, and the performance is pretty shit at the moment when trying to edit the Gopro 4K 'Video Lapse' files.

And would love to see if using the GPU helps at all.
Skibbbi [Avatar]
[Post New]
I have a question, whether CyberLink personally announced these problems to Nvidia? And whether CyberLink talks with Nvidia to solve the problem? Does anyone know what are the actions CyberLink in this case, in addition to doing the test? Does CyberLink received a response from Nvidia in this case?

The specification PowerDirector is written:

NVIDIA:GeForce 8500GT/9800GT and aboveGeForce GT/GTS/GTX 200/400/500/600/700/800/900 Series

PLEASE NOTE: For users of NVIDIA cards using pre-Kepler architecture who have updated to graphics driver 340.43 or later, the CUDA video hardware video encoder feature in PowerDirector is no longer available. To re-enable hardware acceleration, please download and install an earlier driver.

I don't see information: "People who have laptops with dGPU you have no acceleration"

Therefore, if there is a problem (I am able to understand) I'm asking is what action took CyberLink to explain the problem with Nvidia? I think it's understandable.

As I see on the forum this problem is known for many months. CyberLink should put a warning for new users, so they do not feel frustrated as I am. If I knew about this problem probably I would buy other software.

Regards,

Skibbbi

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 08. 2016 04:24

Skibbbi [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi,

I found some help on Nvidia forum https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/866546/?comment=4737141

But I can't use Nvidia Inspector properly.

I quote:

"However, for advanced users wanting to use the GPU anyway, you can modify the Power Director profile with nvidia inspector."

Does anyone know what needs to change in Nvidia Inspector to be able to turn on acceleration?

Regards,

Skibbbi
PepsiMan
[Post New]
Quote: I have a question, whether CyberLink personally announced these problems to Nvidia? And whether CyberLink talks with Nvidia to solve the problem? Does anyone know what are the actions CyberLink in this case, in addition to doing the test? Does CyberLink received a response from Nvidia in this case?

NVIDIA:GeForce 8500GT/9800GT and aboveGeForce GT/GTS/GTX 200/400/500/600/700/800/900 Series

PLEASE NOTE: For users of NVIDIA cards using pre-Kepler architecture who have updated to graphics driver 340.43 or later, the CUDA video hardware video encoder feature in PowerDirector is no longer available. To re-enable hardware acceleration, please download and install an earlier driver.

I don't see information: "People who have laptops with dGPU you have no acceleration"

Therefore, if there is a problem (I am able to understand) I'm asking is what action took CyberLink to explain the problem with Nvidia? I think it's understandable.

As I see on the forum this problem is known for many months. CyberLink should put a warning for new users, so they do not feel frustrated as I am. If I knew about this problem probably I would buy other software.

Regards,

Skibbbi

you have neutered first gen Maxwell chipset like my GTX 750Ti(use to, now i have GTX950).

if you've followed instruction on -> http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/25/46836.page

you can activate the your GTX 960M to use HA.

just follow instructions carefully download only your 32bit or 64bit OS.

save the original files, PDR.exe & PDR.exe.manifest. it means make copy of the original preferably in NTFS file in

my documents folder.

for example 64bit OS -> 1. Go to PowerDirector installation folder, C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDirector14.

Find the 2 files "PDR.exe" and "PDR.exe.manifest" and rename them to "PDR14.exe" and "PDR14.exe.manifest".

2. download 64bit: http://download.cyberlink.com/ftpdload/cs/tool/GpuUtility/64bit/GpuUtility.dll

put it in the folder -> C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDirector14\CESdlls\

3. Download the files "GpuUtilityEx_ENABLE_VGA.exe" and "GpuUtilityEx_ENABLE_VGA.exe.manifest"

64bit: http://download.cyberlink.com/ftpdload/cs/tool/Gpu...it/GpuUtilityEx_ENABLE_VGA.exe and

64bit: http://download.cyberlink.com/ftpdload/cs/tool/Gpu...lityEx_ENABLE_VGA.exe.manifest

remember both files go to the folder path -> C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDirector14

now reboot your laptop.

after reboot, right click on PDR14.exe and choose the option to run the software by NVIDIA GPU...

i don't have any clue what is inspector gen is. does it matter not a whole lot. just to confuse people

i guess.

alright to summarize what i said.

copy of PDR.EXE & PDR.exe.manifest should be in My Documents folder.

second PDR.EXE & PDR.exe.manifest should be renamed to PDR14.EXE & PDR14.exe.manifest in

C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDirector14 folder.

download files put it in C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDirector14

reboot, after reboot go to C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDirector14\pdr14.exe

right click on PDR14.exe and choose the option to run the software by NVIDIA GPU.

it's better to use your SkyLake GPU.

GTX 950M, GTX 960M & GTX 965M - they're all neutered, ouch.

may the force be with you.

happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan

'garbage in garbage out'

This message was edited 6 times. Last update was at Feb 10. 2016 22:03

'no bridge too far'

Samsung Galaxy Note3/NX1
booger182 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote: I have a question, whether CyberLink personally announced these problems to Nvidia? And whether CyberLink talks with Nvidia to solve the problem? Does anyone know what are the actions CyberLink in this case, in addition to doing the test? Does CyberLink received a response from Nvidia in this case?

Regards,

Skibbbi

you have neutered first gen Maxwell chipset like my GTX 750Ti(use to, now i have GTX950).

if you've followed instruction on -> http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/25/46836.page

you can activate the your GTX 960M to use HA.

just follow instructions carefully download only your 32bit or 64bit OS.

save the original files, PDR.exe & PDR.exe.manifest. it means make copy of the original preferably in NTFS file in

my documents folder.

for example 64bit OS -> 1. Go to PowerDirector installation folder, C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDirector14.

Find the 2 files "PDR.exe" and "PDR.exe.manifest" and rename them to "PDR14.exe" and "PDR14.exe.manifest".

2. download 64bit: http://download.cyberlink.com/ftpdload/cs/tool/GpuUtility/64bit/GpuUtility.dll

put it in the folder -> C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDirector14\CESdlls\

3. Download the files "GpuUtilityEx_ENABLE_VGA.exe" and "GpuUtilityEx_ENABLE_VGA.exe.manifest"

64bit: http://download.cyberlink.com/ftpdload/cs/tool/Gpu...it/GpuUtilityEx_ENABLE_VGA.exe and

64bit: http://download.cyberlink.com/ftpdload/cs/tool/Gpu...lityEx_ENABLE_VGA.exe.manifest

remember both files go to the folder path -> C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDirector14

now reboot your laptop.

after reboot, right click on PDR14.exe and choose the option to run the software by NVIDIA GPU...

i don't have any clue what is inspector gen is. does it matter not a whole lot. just to confuse people

i guess.

alright to summarize what i said.

copy of PDR.EXE & PDR.exe.manifest should be in My Documents folder.

second PDR.EXE & PDR.exe.manifest should be renamed to PDR14.EXE & PDR14.exe.manifest in

C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDirector14 folder.

download files put it in C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDirector14

reboot, after reboot go to C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDirector14\pdr14.exe

right click on PDR14.exe and choose the option to run the software by NVIDIA GPU.

it's better to use your SkyLake GPU.

GTX 950M, GTX 960M & GTX 965M - they're all neutered, ouch.

may the force be with you.

happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan

'garbage in garbage out'

Righty, I did this and it worked! Could finally select the GPU and use it - But, PD14 just crashes all the time, as soon as you push produce, it shuts down, and sometimes you cant even get that far.

If switch th the internal graphics, it doesnt crash.

Why cant the bloody thing just work how its supposed to.
PepsiMan
[Post New]
Quote: ...

most laptops are not made for gaming or video editing.

if one wishes to use the laptop, then one should expect the life of the laptop is short!

even so called gaming laptops. windows 10 OS isn't helping any either.

save yourself and use the SkyLake GPU (iHD 530=1009).

IAW cpubenchmark.net your GTX 960M gpu is rated at 1675

which is slower than GTX650 (1831) or GTX 550Ti (1923) desktop version.

I say again, GTX 950M, GTX 960M & GTX 965M is neutered desktop version. ouch.

GTX950 (5250), GTX960 (5956), GTX970 (8674), GTX 970M (4130), etc...

happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan

'garbage in garbage out'

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Feb 17. 2016 22:38

'no bridge too far'

Samsung Galaxy Note3/NX1
RCCRF [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 09, 2017 03:17 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: ...

most laptops are not made for gaming or video editing.

if one wishes to use the laptop, then one should expect the life of the laptop is short!

even so called gaming laptops. windows 10 OS isn't helping any either.

save yourself and use the SkyLake GPU (iHD 530=1009).

IAW cpubenchmark.net your GTX 960M gpu is rated at 1675

which is slower than GTX650 (1831) or GTX 550Ti (1923) desktop version.

I say again, GTX 950M, GTX 960M & GTX 965M is neutered desktop version. ouch.

GTX950 (5250), GTX960 (5956), GTX970 (8674), GTX 970M (4130), etc...

happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan

'garbage in garbage out'

Who cares if they're nutered versions of their desktop counterpart, the point of using dedicated graphics are to allow the cpu to relax, use the faster RAM, and as you showed there's a 600point difference in performance, so you just disproved your own argument.

Also those links don't work anymore and still having those issues in PD15.