Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How to choose hardware acceleration if you have more than one?
Pavel_Kolotilov
Newbie Location: Oslo, Norway Joined: Jan 10, 2016 13:29 Messages: 15 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

I have installed an Nvidia Quadro K600 (Kepler) card (support h264 acceleration) and the Intel 530 graphics (with h264/h265 encoding/decoding support). My motherboard does not support two high resolution monitors, that is why I use a Nvidia card for that. But in order to be able to use Intel Quick Sync I decided to leave Intel Graphics also on in the BIOS.

The problem is the following: Unless I do not have at least one of the monitors hooked up to the Intel Graphics card, PD14 automatically picks up Nvidia card as a Hardware accelerator (in the produce window i get "hardware acceleration"; otherwise it says "Intel Quick Sync"). And I need both monitors to be on the Nvidia card because it supports high res monitors;

My question is: how can I force a certain hardware accelerator (as it is done in the MPC HE player, for example)? Best regards,

Pavel Kolotilov
[Post New]
VGA dummy plug on Intel output?

Or DVI dummy plug if your intel has that output.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 01. 2016 10:14

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
The above works because you are simulating the 75 ohm loads of a monitor connected to the graphics card output. Making the dongle is more convienent for those with soldering skills than plugging 3 resistors each time to the back of the pc when you want to do it.
Pavel_Kolotilov
Newbie Location: Oslo, Norway Joined: Jan 10, 2016 13:29 Messages: 15 Offline
[Post New]
Sure,

great idea. Thank you guys.

Though it could be nice from the Cyberlink to add the possibility to choose hardware encoder. Best regards,

Pavel Kolotilov
[Post New]
You can plug the resistors on the other end of a VGA cable, and use it when needed

Sure you can solder them or buy one already made.
Or CL can add that option.

But where's the fun?
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
I'm not sure the dummy connector will work. One still needs a means of identifying "first display" as I believe that's what PD uses to identify HA capability. I only had two 75ohm and one 5ohm handy and all I will say is that did not work. One can also use the method here, http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/47055.page#244825 but I found that may leave PD in a somewhat confused state. For instance, Nvidia logo in corner of any accelerated effects yet QS on the "Produce" tab. Had several produce anomalies that made regedit ones friend to correct bad HA profiles.

I only use a single monitor and for several years with several versions of PD have simply used an HDMI switch, one input MB iGPU and the other discrete Nvidia GPU and one output to monitor. As long as BIOS set to load iGPU one can toggle switch with PD shutdown and appears to function fine on providing "both" HA technologies independently.

You also get the added functionality of OpenCL for effect acceleration by the secondary GPU but that benefit is small for most timelines unless you are an FX enthusiast.

Jeff
[Post New]
Another way would be to mess with the registry.
For example the folder
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\CyberLink\PowerDirector14\GPUUtility
has in my PC (GTX960 nVidia card) two keys:
GPUEffectType = 15 (21)
GPUEncoderType = 80 (128 )

The folder HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\CyberLink\GpuUtility\PDR
has also a key:
GPUEffectType = 15(21)

I assume that the "GPUEncoderType" can be changed for Intel, independent of the "effect" one. Don't know the value, I assume you can easy find it with the monitor plugged in intel port.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Feb 02. 2016 18:27