Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Transitions causing stutter with SVRT enabled
scottF123 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 12, 2013 00:37 Messages: 32 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Scott, can you provide me the source 60FPS MTS clip? Your steady camera clip is very good, much better than I can replicate here when I tried to make a slomo of my guitar. It's easy to see skips/stutter with your video clip queuing back and forth in the timeline. I'm testing a lot here and can't make a clip that smooth with the equipment I have and need a pure source like your video that is smooth for testing at 60 fps and processing.

Sure- Here is straight from the camera that I used for some of the clips in the sample I posted. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9vGRJKOqJn3RTc5U1ZqcDFXS0U/view?usp=sharing

Keep in mind, working with it at 60p I have no problems with any stutter. Only when slowed and then with transitions and SVRT do you get the stutter (as I detailed previously).

Hopefully support engineers are looking at this and can fix the problem..

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 14. 2016 23:22

Terminal [Avatar]
Member Joined: Dec 30, 2015 22:38 Messages: 56 Offline
[Post New]
Got it. That video actually gave me a couple of ideas on how to scroll the video, thanks sealed. I will be experimenting with producing slomo 24p clips using transitions and get back to this topic in the next few days or weeks as time allows.
scottF123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Got it. That video actually gave me a couple of ideas on how to scroll the video, thanks sealed. I will be experimenting with producing slomo 24p clips using transitions and get back to this topic in the next few days or weeks as time allows.

FYI: The camera used is a Panasonic G6. I created that clip with a skate dolly I got at Amazon. Mine came with an articulating arm thing you mount the camera on. You can get them for like $30. And slide on a very smooth board, or glass table top, plexiglas, etc. It takes some patience to get them right and move at a consistent speed and get no bumpiness, etc. There are more expensive options like tracked motorized versions too, that I am sure probably make it easier and less time consuming to get perfect clips...

Again, I hope support looks at these posts and can resolve this very annoying issue.
scottF123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I just received a reply to my support ticket. The support person says they were not able to see any significant stutter in the the produced videos from the files I provided, so they clearly didn't perform the steps exaclty, as is is 100% reproduceable.

Why is it a forum member can easily reproduce it and also see that extra frames are being added to clips, but support cannot? It was clear again from the questions they ask (at least in the support you get by creating a ticket on the web site), that they are not very technical or skilled.

I get the impression more than anything else, the strategy is to ask you to jump through so many hoops, rather than they do the actual investigation, in the hope that you will just go away, rather than they actually put in the effort to solve it.

Is there any way people know to have support tickets escalated to actual engineers? I have asked them to do so, but they dont address that...

HELP!

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jan 18. 2016 16:53

Terminal [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: I just received a reply to my support ticket. The support person says they were not able to see any significant stutter in the the produced videos from the files I provided, so they clearly didn't perform the steps exaclty, as is is 100% reproduceable. Why is it a forum member can easily reproduce it and also see that extra frames are being added to clips, but support cannot?

Your video obviously has additional overlapped frames on the timeline. Anyone can clearly see it if they actually took the time to look at it.
GS kid
Newbie Location: Santa Barbara county, California Joined: Oct 24, 2015 22:25 Messages: 20 Offline
[Post New]
PowerDirector does seem to add or subtract frames randomly. I've used the trim tool for 4K 30fps clips and for example had the IN position at 00.00.04.00 and OUT position at 00.00.44.00 ... showing a duration of exactly 00.00.40.00 which is correct.

But other times it could say the duration is 00.00.40.02 (2 frames over) or 00.00.39.28 (2 frames under).... even though the duration between the IN and OUT positions is exactly 40 seconds and zero frames. So I have to adjust the IN or OUT trim POINTS either up or down 2 frames to make it an even 40 seconds on the duration counter. Just a weird glitch to me.undecided Sony FDR-AX100 4K UHD camcorder
Sony ECM-XYST1M Stereo Microphone
Sony VCT-VPR1 Compact Remote Control Tripod
Vello VB-1000 ActionPan Stabilizing Action Grip
PowerDirector 14
Intel i7-4510u w/8GB RAM Nvidia GTX 850M w/4GB

scottF123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yes, this is getting ridiculous. The support person says they still have not seen the stutter! Crazy! They asked me to upload a clip that has stutter with SVRT, and another where I dont use SVRT (so wont have stutter). So I am doing that now.

In making them brand new clips just now, I noticed I don't even have to join the clips with transitions to get the stutter using SVRT. I just trim off a few seconds of one of these slow motion clips and produce it with SVRT, I get the same stutter at the end of the clip. JUST TRIMMING a slow motion clip, that plays perfectly otherwise creates a stutter when using SVRT!

I just tested trimming using SVRT on a 60p clip trimming does not cause stutter, but when trimming any of the (perfectly smooth playing) 24p slow motion clips I made it causes the stutter every time at the end, just like I get when using transitions...

I keep asking the support person to escalate it to an engineer, but he keeps just asking me for more info and ignores that request!

SVRT is a main selling point and apparently also has a bug! So frustrating!

Here is a clip that was only trimmed using SVRT and you can see the stutter at the end of the clip: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9vGRJKOqJn3cTlaMUdXbFFVXzg/view?usp=sharing

PS- I also tested a standard clip I just took at 24p. Straight from camera, not slow motion, and trimming with SVRT doesnt cause any stutter with that... I notice I can trim the end of the clip and still use SVRT, but if I try to trim anything from the beginning of the clip, it doesnt allow me to use SVRT. Is that the expected behavior of SVRT?

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jan 26. 2016 00:57

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:

Here is a clip that was only trimmed using SVRT and you can see the stutter at the end of the clip: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9vGRJKOqJn3cTlaMUdXbFFVXzg/view?usp=sharing .

PS- I notice I can trim the end of the clip and still use SVRT, but if I try to trim anything from the beginning of the clip, it doesnt allow me to use SVRT. Is that the expected behavior of SVRT?

The above 24 fps clip has a frame going in the opposite direction at 10 sec. 8th frame. See if you have in Prefs/Produce/ Allow SVRT on single IDR H.264 video checked. I find that svrt is still available on your clip with that checkbox unchecked. See the screenshot for details. You get the warning about non standard h.264 and incorrect bitstream which is probably what you got. Try using SVRT with that checkbox unchecked.

That produced clip properties doesn't have a frame rate in win explorer. Mediainfo gives no frame rate but list it as variable. PD14 list the frame rate as 23.976.

For certain cameras like my particular Panasonic it is necessary to have that SVRT checkbox checked for svrt to work well but for other cameras it is not necessary which may solve your problem. That is probably why you have those glitches.

Let us know what you find.
[Thumb - 24fps_svrt.jpg]
 Filename
24fps_svrt.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
SVRT check in checkbox is not necessary for your clip.
 Filesize
348 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
53 time(s)
scottF123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks tomasc. I will check the settings you mention when I get home.

"Support" keeps telling me they see no stutter, and other forum members can see added frames in my clips, and you see one going in opposite direction. Why bother having support if they are so bad?? I keep asking they escalate to some support engineeers because they cant even see a problem with my videos, but they just dont address that and ask me to give them more files or info. It almost seems like a strategy to keep asking a person to jump through hoops in hopes they will just give up.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jan 26. 2016 14:08

Terminal [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: has a frame going in the opposite direction

That is basically the same thing I encountered with Scott's video, too, though worded differently. I'm shocked Cyberlink's technical support can not see the error.
scottF123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote:

Here is a clip that was only trimmed using SVRT and you can see the stutter at the end of the clip: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9vGRJKOqJn3cTlaMUdXbFFVXzg/view?usp=sharing .

PS- I notice I can trim the end of the clip and still use SVRT, but if I try to trim anything from the beginning of the clip, it doesnt allow me to use SVRT. Is that the expected behavior of SVRT?

The above 24 fps clip has a frame going in the opposite direction at 10 sec. 8th frame. See if you have in Prefs/Produce/ Allow SVRT on single IDR H.264 video checked. I find that svrt is still available on your clip with that checkbox unchecked. See the screenshot for details. You get the warning about non standard h.264 and incorrect bitstream which is probably what you got. Try using SVRT with that checkbox unchecked.

That produced clip properties doesn't have a frame rate in win explorer. Mediainfo gives no frame rate but list it as variable. PD14 list the frame rate as 23.976.

For certain cameras like my particular Panasonic it is necessary to have that SVRT checkbox checked for svrt to work well but for other cameras it is not necessary which may solve your problem. That is probably why you have those glitches.

Let us know what you find.

That "allow SVRT on single..." box was unchecked already. If I check it it gives me a warning about using it but then I can trim the beginning or end and use SVRT in PD14. I tested and joined some clips with blur transitions with that checkbox checked, but there is still stutter with it checked or unchecked. Same reverse stutter thing as before.

The reason you could trim the beginning or end of that clip is it was already rendered in PD14, not straight from camera. I posted more details in that other thread you answered about a bug with SVRT. Using PD12 at work, I can edit beginning or end too even with a clip straight from camera. . Not sure if it has such a checkbox, but I will look.

Doesnt address the stutter thing though as those clips are already rendered in PD14. Maybe PD12 wont have the stutter issue. Maybe I will reinstall and check.. Thanks. I wish support was as good and dedicated as the forum users Maybe they would have figured out the stutter thing, which they say they dont see

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jan 27. 2016 00:57

Terminal [Avatar]
[Post New]
Have you ever gotten a resolution to this problem, Scott?
scottF123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
No, they said they see the stutter though finally:

"In regards to your concern, I would really appreciate for providing the materials. We can now observe the symptom in the provided video and the issue has been forwarded to the related department to check further."

They also suggested I rename my profile.ini and try again. I did, and same stutter. I also told them the stutter will happen if I just trim one of the clips, which I recently noticed too when using SVRT...

Hopefully someone there can figure it out and come up with a fix.

Thanks
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi scottF123,
I have been reading the various posts in this thread and was wondering if the GOP pattern in the original video might have been causing the issue for you. Anyway, at least you've got CyberLink looking into the matter.
Dafydd
Pavel_Kolotilov
Newbie Location: Oslo, Norway Joined: Jan 10, 2016 13:29 Messages: 15 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Scott,

I think I probably have very similar issue as you do. But first a little story.

I often use Corel Video Studio x8.5 and they have a similar feature as SVRT (SmartRender). So, since the beginning I noticed something similar as you are describing: statterts in the beginning and in the end of transitions. I tried to understand what was happening, but few people could see them. And the support in Corel is the worst support ever. They just ignore your questions

So, after I bought PD14 (one of the reasons was that SmartRender glitch) I noticed that PD14 had exactly the same issue as Video Studio! So, as a result I do not use SVRT on my skylake 6700 because it hardware acceleration is actually faster then SVRT.

Probably I have to do some tests on PD14, but from what I remember was happening on VS:

1. Stutters was happening only on the 1080p50 projects. 1080i50 were rendered all right.

2. I was inclinded to think that the culprit was my Panasonic hc-x920 camera (european edition), because noone else could see the problem on their footage.

These days I will do some tests and tell you when I see the stutters on PD. Best regards,

Pavel Kolotilov
scottF123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I still never heard back from support and my tickets were closed. I wonder if this was ever fixed (I havent been using lately, so not patched or tested). Or maybe addressed in the newer version (15)?
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Support does close out my inquiries if they don’t get a response after a number of days. You must keep responding even if the support person does nothing or don’t escalate it.