Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Best Quality Encoding in PD 7
Starchild [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 25, 2008 11:01 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
I've created three projects using .VOB files from mini-dvd's and encoded them using MPEG2.

Then, I used the three MPG files to create a consolidated project to burn onto DVD. In "Create Disc Preferences" I used the Video Quality DVD HQ.

I was NOT impressed with the video quality with the DVD output. It was nowhere near the quality of the original .VOB files.

Are there any tips to getting the best quality video output?
[Post New]
I have commented before that in my experience the rendering engine for SD mpeg2 is better when going direct to disc even when creating DVD folder on hard drive.
Try creating a DVD folder using the create disc module, retrieve the VOB files from there and then create the DVD using these VOB files.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 02. 2008 03:28

Starchild [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 25, 2008 11:01 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
There are 4 vob files that create, 3 appear to be the source files and the fourth a combined file. So I copied those files to DVD using the regular Windows Explorer Burn function and the disc won't load in my dvd player. Not sure if I completely understand your advice.
[Post New]
Hi Starchild,
I don't usually work with .vob files and so have done a little testing. PD doesn't seem to like .vob and won't use SVRT, hence will render even though they are mepg2 format.
I ran a couple of .vob files through MPEG Streamclip to "convert" them to an mpeg file (really just changes the header info etc).
PD then recognised the mpeg2 format and used SVRT and hence didn't render them - just copied.
Perhaps this might help you reduce the amount of rendering PD does for your projects.
MPEG Streamcilp is a free download.