Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Transition Issues
josh [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 28, 2008 12:43 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
I have searched the forums looking for my question to be answered, but have not been able to find it. I'll apologize in advance if this thread is started in another location.

I'm having problems with the transitions that I've added and just need to know what I'm doing wrong. When I add transitions I'm finding that it disrupts the clip leading into the transition. I'm doing a combination of still photos and video. I notice the disruption more to the video clips. As the transition begins to go, the video will pause then go in fast motion as the transition progresses. I also notice the same affect on still clips, but it is the transition that will pause briefly, not finishing, and jumping to the next clip.

I also notice the same thing with titles. The title will stop as the transition begins.

The look is then a choppy production that does not flow well. I have not attempted to complete the production. I have only viewed the video in the preview screen. Where I'm puzzled though is that it does not do it on each transition. That makes me think I'm doing something wrong when inserting them.

Any help would be appreciated. I've watched the tutorial video but it does not address my issue. I'm thinking I'm the issue though!

Thank you!
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Josh,

Ok. Please test out the situation by producing a video and view the results.

I have a feeling this is partly a "preview" issue and partly your graphics card. If it's the latter you need to update your graphic card drivers.

Preview is a lower res display which could be affected by the above and whether your CPU is coping with changes to the footage, if it's HD. You haven't stated what the footage/video is. I'm just guessing here... so a bit more info is needed.

Dafydd

Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Josh,

I too have preformance issues with the preview pane when editing.
So just to amplify on Dafydd's response and advice (that it may be a "preview" issue), here's another thread on the choppy "preview" issue.

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/4493.page

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Cranston - good follow up posting, excellent additional link.

Dafydd
josh [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks so much for the quick reply! I'll produce the video tonight and see what happens...............

Thanks!
josh [Avatar]
[Post New]
That was the problem! The finished product looks great! Thanks for the help!

So updating the videocard would help the preview mode look like the finished product will?

Thanks again!
Mark7777 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 13, 2008 11:53 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
I too am having transition issues. My transition issues go one step further in that either during my fade-out transitions, some (but not all) are choppy. They are all the same 2 second fade-in and out transition to clips that are quite longer than 2 seconds (most are 30 seconds and longer). After burning to a DVD, the video actually hangs. In addition, it will hang on some text displays at the exit of the text. Again, not all of them. I have yet to find a pattern. This happens on several DVD players.
Mark7777 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Dreven for the reply. This seems to spill over to my produced product in that the DVD hangs in a player. So do you use anther transition or just use no transitions at all?
Mark7777 [Avatar]
[Post New]
The media (both DVD disc and DVD burner) I am using has had success burning past videos with Nero. I even have tried writing to disk and then using Nero Express to burn to the DVD.

Trying your concept of burning at a slower speed, I attempted to modify the recording speed property to something lower than 8x. It doesn't seem to want to save that setting as each time I open it back up it has reset to 8x.

At this point, I'm not sure what to do. I want to use this software but it doesn't seem to want to be successful with my attempts. I know I am knew to it but not new to Video authoring with other software.

I guess my next step is to totally remove all transitions (I even used another besides the Fade) and see if that works.
Mark7777 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Sorry for the delay in replying. Found out some more info since. After the frustration of it not working in 2 DVD players, I did write it to the hard disk. I have found I have much more luck in burning to the hard disk after a fresh reboot and disabling McAfee with PowerDVD the only thing running.

It does run perfectly running from the hard drive (actually ran it in Microsoft Media Player and/or Nero). Performed a burn to a disk and got the same hanging results with the DVD players in the house. So thinking that these DVD players might be too dang old now (the two are probably 6+ years and 8+ years), I took it out to our 2006 Acura MDX with a DVD player in it and it ran perfectly on it with no freezes, glitches, etc.

These DVD players are Sony and play previously burned DVDs with Nero before as well as any movie we choose to play on it. But this is the first time with a PowerDVD compiled video.

Another note is that as soon as the disc got burned I re-inserted it and played it on my computer. Playing it from the disc yielded mixed results at best as it didn't freeze up but I would notice at the places that the old players freeze, it would be choppy or a slight delay.

So, three assumptions:
1) either my burner that came with the Dell Tower is not as good as it used to be (drivers are up to date) and the older DVD players can't make up for the lack of perfect burning and the newer one in the Acura covers it
or
2) I need to purchase a newer DVD player for home use....
or
3) possibly both.

Still would hate to purchase these 2 items (burner and new DVD player) if it is just something I am overlooking. These DVDs will be going to family so would hate for them to not be able to play them as well.

Also, will perform the memory test you mentioned just as a precaution.

Thanks.
Mark7777 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Update,
the PowerDirector 7 burned DVD runs perfectly on a new DVD Player vs the ones I had that were 6 years old. Guess I need to keep more up to date with technology.
Lewis [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 06, 2009 17:23 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Hello

I have a similar problem with the hanging/freezing thing. I made a dvd and played it in my home dvd player/burner, after about 4 seconds it freezes. The weird thing is, if after it freezes I press pause and then press play, the video will start playing again. However if I just press play nothing happens, just stays on that same frame.

If I play the same disc on a PS3, it works fine and...

If I play the same disc with my computers dvd drive using PowerDVD, everything works except the title menu button, but the video is fine and does not freeze.

So, my problems are:
1.) The video freezes in a fairly new(1-2 years) home dvd player/burner
2.) The title menu does not work in PowerDVD

I did the memtest thing, no problems there. I produced a video file just for fun but no problem there. Also I burned the dvd at x2 speed.

Any help would be great.......Thanks
Lewis [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 06, 2009 17:23 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
In case this might help anybody, I found somewhat of a solution for my freezing problem.

When I was done editing I produced the video and opened the file in a new powerdirector project. Then as long as I do nothing but add chapters to the already produced file, I can burn a disc and the video does not freeze.

Of course this was just a 60 second test video, but hopefully this will work when I try something longer.

However, the title menu button in PowerDVD still does not work. Perhaps I will post that as another topic.