Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Use of custom MPEG-4 and WMV profiles in PD14
paulsw2 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 29, 2015 09:25 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
Hi everyone, I'm new here!

After 4 years of happily using PD10, today I upgraded to PD14 hoping for a bit of a step forward. Well....

In PD10 I'm used to using custom profiles for WMV (added to the C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDirector10\Language\Enu folder) and MPEG-4 (editing the profile.ini file in C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Roaming\CyberLink\PowerDirector\10.0).

However, when I try using these custom profile in PD14 (I'm currently trying to render an mp4 file in 960x540 @ 29.97 fps at 3000Mbps), I'm unable to use Hardware Video Encoding - first it crashes my GPU driver, then PD14 itself and, after reloading, Fast Video Rendering is greyed out in the 'Produce' tab. This wasn't happening in PD10!

I should add that the built-in profiles appear to work fine in mp4 (haven't tried wmv) as I produced a 1280 x 720 test OK (though not using SVRT - this has always been greyed out for me in mp4, so no change in PD14 then!)

My video card is quite old: a Radeon HD 5870 from 2009. I think drivers are up to date (though probably haven't been updated by AMD for sometime?)

Is my card not good enough for PD14? I'm happy to use CPU-based rendering, though it does take a bit longer and I always worry about having my CPU working at 100% for prolonged periods (CPU is an i7 860, by the way).

Anyone have any ideas?

Paul
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, Let's start with the easy part. Go here :

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download

to upload the latest drivers.

Come back and let us know if that helps. Have you tried turning off hardware encoding? .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
paulsw2 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the advice. I've now updated my AMD drivers. Unfortunately, 'Fast video rendering' (both SVRT and Hardware video encoder) is now greyed out (ie. unavailable) for all options, including built-in! Looks like PD14 can't access the GPU for some reason.

I've checked under Preferences and hardware decoding is enabled under 'Hardware Acceleration'.

I'm beginning to wonder if I should go back to PD10!

Paul
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Paul -

Using a custom 960x540 @ 3Mbps MP4 profile here, SVRT & hardware encoder are greyed out too... but the video was produced fine. P.S. I don't think you really meant 3000Mbps!

For your custom WMV profiles, they'd need to be added to the PDR14 folder - C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDirector14\Language\Enu\Profiles - then the same profiles you've been using will work just fine.

There are some custom WMV profiles attached.

Cheers - Tony
 Filename
Profiles_WMV.zip
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
35 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
231 time(s)

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
paulsw2 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Tony - I think I was one step ahead as I'd already obtained your profiles (very helpful!) and added them to the Enu folder in PD14.

Really, my problem now is that I have no hardware video encoding available since I updated my video drivers. Anyone know how I can get PD14 talking to my HD 5870 again? Perhpas I need to check settings on the card?

Paul