Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Audio waveform does not show up after editing
Karl3054 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 13, 2013 00:23 Messages: 30 Offline
[Post New]
Scenario: Recorded a short video with camcorder into AVCHD. Used lav mic with Zoom H1 to record better audio. Of course audio is single channel (mono), so used Audacity to convert to stereo track. Saved stereo track in WAV format from Audacity. Impoted original video and the [stereo] WAV file audio into PD14. (Audio waveform does not appear in timeline.) Split audio and video on the video file and overwrote audio portion with the Audacity modified WAV file. Audio waveform still does not show up in PD 14.

(1) Checked to ensure that "Show sound waveform in timeline" was checked in Preferences..no waveform.

(2) Linked auidio and video in timeline...still no waveform.

(3) Grouped [unlinked] audio and video in timeline...still no waveform.

Just as a test,

(1) I captured an audio clip in PD14 from the microphone(stereo)...Waveform shows up

(2) Edited in Wave editor and imported to timeline...waveformshows up

(3) Edited in Audio Director and imported to timeline...waveform shows up

(4) Edited in Audacity and imported into timelin...NO waveform!

I really like Audacity and would like to use it to edit audio. Any suggestions from anyone?
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
Depending on the type of clip and the LENGTH especially, PD can take a few minutes to fully display the entire audio graphic. Win 10, i7
Karl3054 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yep, I know. I learned that earlier. But I've left the PD14 screen up overnight and the waveform never showed up. I'm guessing there's some incompatibility between Audacity and PD. Even in the Produced videos with WAV files from Audacity, the waveform does not appear in the timeline.
Richmond Dan
Senior Contributor Location: Richmond, VA Joined: Aug 07, 2014 17:17 Messages: 673 Offline
[Post New]
I've brought audio in from Audacity with the waveform showing. Perhaps it has something to do with the gain? If I drag the gain handle down, the audio waveform appears as a straight line. If I increase the gain (drag the handle way up), the waveform appears. Regards,
Dan
Power Director 21-Ultimate
v 21.0.3111.0
XPS-8940, Win-10 64-bit,
Intel Core i9-10900 processor
(10 core, 20M Cache),
32GB DDR4 RAM, 2TB M.2 PCIe NVME SSD, 2TB 7200 RPM SATA HDD,
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: (4) Edited in Audacity and imported into timelin...NO waveform!

I beleive that you are saying that there is audio that you can hear on the timeline but just no wafeform. I sometimes see that when I have several hours of avchd video clips on the timeline on an initial edit when editing. Clicking on a clip and then clicking on the bottom cursor marker refreshes that part of the screen and the wafeform preview is generated. Better still save the project close PD14. Open PD14 and the project and the waveform is all there. Zoom out then zoom in fixes it if the project is long in some cases.

If you get audio then it should not be of any concern since you can always use the audio mixing room to adjust the particular track volume regardless of whether you see a waveform. Don't know exactly which of the 6 audio tracks are displayed. Maybe it is the left front one.

Let us know if this is the case.
Karl3054 [Avatar]
[Post New]
You are correct. I can hear the audio but not see the waveform. in the timeline.Zoom out then zoom in DOES normally display the waveform when it disappears, but not for an Audacity file. I'm going to try Richmond Dan's suggestion and I'll lget back to you.
I use the audio waveform while editing to split clips at appropriate points based on the audio, not the video, so it's important to me to be able to see the waveform.
JonathanS [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 17, 2016 19:53 Messages: 45 Offline
[Post New]
I am having this trouble, too. Same issue - WAV file audio from Audacity is not rendering a waveform. And similarly, I need to use it to be able to see when I begin speaking and where I have stopped. Without being able to see the waveform, I'm having to rely on the drop-the-needle method to figure out where the "keeper" parts are.
CS2014
Senior Contributor Location: USA-Eastern Time Zone Joined: Sep 16, 2014 16:44 Messages: 629 Offline
[Post New]
You might be better served with starting a thread since this is 9 months old.

CS PD13 Ultimate - Build 3516, WIN 8.1, 64 Bit, 16G RAM, Intel Core i5 4460, CPU @ 3.2GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GT720, Graphics Memory(total avail.)-4093MB
LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray Drive