Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
unable to capture HI8 video
DavidF451 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: NONE Joined: Dec 27, 2015 18:22 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
I have a Samsung HI8 camcorder with an analog out. I can see the video on the PC when played back but it wont capture anything, I get an error message that says: "The DV tape is either missing or write protected. Insert a tape or make the tape writeable".

But's it's not a DV tape it's a HI8 tape. The only two icons that are available to capture is the DV capture or the screen capture, the HD Camcorder button cannot be selected and the screen capture button crashes the software when I click on it.

I just bought this software three days ago, any help would be appreciated.

Also I have a Firewire capture card in my PC which captures film perfectly from a mini DV via a Sony media converter but it won't capture the analog from the HI8.

Thanks in advance.

Dave... NONE
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Sound like that you are using the miniDV camcorder as a feed thru to capture in DV. Use Windows Movie Maker instead.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 27. 2015 19:56

GGRussell [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Jan 08, 2012 11:38 Messages: 709 Offline
[Post New]
Not familiar with SAmsung Hi8. Does the camcorder actually have firewire output? If it is Hi8 only, I don't know why it would have firewire. Which model? we can look up the manual for it. Intel i7 4770k, 16GB, GTX1060 3GB, Two 240GB SSD, 4TB HD, Sony HDR-TD20V 3D camcorder, Sony SLT-A65VK for still images, Windows 10 Pro, 64bit
Gary Russell -- TN USA
DavidF451 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Sound like that you are using the miniDV camcorder as a feed thru to capture in DV. Use Windows Movie Maker instead.

Yes thats correct however Windows Movie Maker on Windows 10 doesn't have the option to cature the feed from an external device. The select capture setting is not there. NONE
DavidF451 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Not familiar with SAmsung Hi8. Does the camcorder actually have firewire output? If it is Hi8 only, I don't know why it would have firewire. Which model? we can look up the manual for it.

No not a firewire output an analog to a bridge then firewire to the PC. I got it to work using a Dazzle DV bridge but PowerDirector 14 is only now capturing 5 seconds of recording then stops.

Any idea why it's only capturing 5 seconds of video?

Thanks so much,

Dave.. NONE
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
It has been a long time since I capture DV or analog video. Yes the default capture is 5 seconds if you look at the settings on that page. Change it to minutes or hours to capture longer. You can always stop ithe recording with the stop button. You have capture settings in preferences too if you want to check it out.

That Dazzle DV bridge should work with windows movie maker. Did not know that win 10 support it.
DavidF451 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you sir!

The error was in the preferences setting under Capture then DV Parameters. It's odd that the default would be set to the five second marker but by turning it off it allows the user to extend long playing tapes to their choosing.

I attached a screen capture in case anyone wants to know where this is.

Thanks again,

Dave...
[Thumb - 001.jpg]
 Filename
001.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
343 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
89 time(s)
NONE
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I have a Samsung HI8 camcorder with an analog out. I can see the video on the PC when played back but it wont capture anything, I get an error message that says: "The DV tape is either missing or write protected. Insert a tape or make the tape writeable".

But's it's not a DV tape it's a HI8 tape. The only two icons that are available to capture is the DV capture or the screen capture, the HD Camcorder button cannot be selected and the screen capture button crashes the software when I click on it.

I just bought this software three days ago, any help would be appreciated.

Also I have a Firewire capture card in my PC which captures film perfectly from a mini DV via a Sony media converter but it won't capture the analog from the HI8.

Thanks in advance.

Dave...

Hello Dave!

I also have an older Samsung Video-8 Cam-corder that I picked up cheaply at a recycling centre(just $5...very cheap) and use it not for shooting video, but simply for "rescuing content" from my old camera tapes. It's not labeled Hi-8, as such but it has shown that it will play the Hi-8 tapes. I feed the signal from the cam-corder to the computer via a USB capture card, but because I'm also capturing content from old VHS tapes, I use an A/V source selector switch just ahead of the capture card's input so I can switch between sources. The symbol to select in PD14 to capture feed from a capture card is: "Capture From TV Signal". This icon will appear in blue while all others will be greyed out. Under the "preview screen(monitoring what's being fed in) is "Capture Preferences" These should be unticked and left to show 00:00:00 for Time Limit, and 0000MB for Size Limit so you can capture as much content off your tapes as required. The trick is: External capture card! Even if you may already have an inbuilt card in your computer. To then select from either internal or external card, click on Settings. If only one capture card used, the seclection will be greyed out, but if two cards, switch to your external card, Set Capture Source to "Video Composite" and set Audio Source to match the Capture Device. If you want a slightly higher quality image, set Device Resolution to 720 X 526 but you'll have to set the Profile to DVD HQ first, as I have just now learned. I attempted to bump up the resolution to the higher figure but when I set the profile to DVD SP it was automatically bumped back to the default 640 X 480 resolution. So there you have it. I hope the info is of use to you.

Cheers & Happy New Year.

Neil.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
HI8 (tapes) has not been supported by PowerDirector for many years.

I cant remember the workarounds*, you'll need to search the forums, I have answered similar questions over the years.

*You might need to use an interface device if the firewire or direct USB isn't receognised
Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 28. 2015 05:43

moisesmcardona [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Oct 23, 2012 11:48 Messages: 167 Offline
[Post New]
Actually, Hi8 are supported if you have a Digital8 camera that can play back Hi8 tapes. Then with Firewire output PowerDirector CAN detect the camera and capture that source. The other workaround can be using a USB to Composite adapter and if the camera has composite output, use that. Main Machine: Jetway NF9G-QM77, Intel i7-3610QM, Nvidia Geforce GTX 1060 3GB, 128gb SSD, Windows 10 Pro
Secondary Machine: Lenovo Y510p, Intel i7-4700MQ 2.4Ghz, 2x nVidia GT750M, 500GB SSHD, Windows 10 Education
visit http://moisescardona.video
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Actually, Hi8 are supported if you have a Digital8 camera that can play back Hi8 tapes. Then with Firewire output PowerDirector CAN detect the camera and capture that source. The other workaround can be using a USB to Composite adapter and if the camera has composite output, use that.

"USB to Composite adaptor" That's precisely what a capture card is! You connect the output of your analogue video source(be it Video-8 or Hi-8 camera, VHS or Beta VCR) to the relevant inputs, if the camera or VCR is stereo, the red and white plugs connect as shown, if the camera or VCR is mono you use a "Y-adaptor"(one RCA socket to two RCA plugs) to bridge the audio across the two channels, then connect the yellow Video(Composite) input and you're set to go! Dead easy!

Cheers!

Neil.