Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Video/Audio Speed changes
Karl3054 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 13, 2013 00:23 Messages: 30 Offline
[Post New]
I have a single video clip (~28 minutes AVCHD) that I want to edit. Because of my southern drawl (no jokes, please! smile), I speed up the video and (separately recorded) audio by 10% (1.1x speed). In PD13, I couldn't apply this correction to multiple clips, so I spent hours performing this correction to about 40+ individual clips! This time, BEFORE I split the single clip into several shorter ones, I performed the 1.1x correction to the video and audio portions and THEN applied splits/edits to the modified clip. The result is that PD14 takes an EXTREMELY long time to perform edits on the split clips. So my questions are:

1. Should I NOT perform the video/audio speed correction FIRST?

2. Is there a way to apply the Video/audio speed correction to ALL of the split clips with a single edit?

3. Is there a preferred order to apply certain modifications (Power Tools)?

Thanks for your help.
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
Hello, Karl3054!

I've noted that you've recorded the audio separately, I assume that to be, possibly, your narration track, perhaps. There may be no need to speed up the clip if you have an audio editing software on your computer that can adjust pitch without altering the length of the audio track. I have such software on my computer, I'll take the risk by naming it and hope I don't get my knuckles wrapped by the moderators, it's Sony Sound Forge Audio Studio 10, which I use to separately record narrations for my videos, and I add the track in after I've completed the video editing stage. This software has the necessary pitch adjustment where you can adjust the pitch of your voice higher or lower without affecting the length of the audio(e.g. 5 minutes will stay as 5 minutes).

Hope that might be of use to you.

Cheers!

Neil.
Karl3054 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the quick reply, Neil.

Actually I've recorded the audio on my Zoom H1 (with a lav mic) simultaneously with the video, rather than use the poorer quality audio from the camcorder. I usually use Audacity for audio editing and pitch adjustment, but I wanted to try using the new PD14 to give it a try. I did a Sync by Audio, trimmed both the video clip and the separately recorded audio to the same length, unlinked the camcorder audio and deleted it, then linked the H1 audio to the video clip. I adjusted the speed in PD14 by 1.1x then adjusted the pitch down (in PD14) to correct for the speed modification.

Splitting and trimming this modified video/audio track resulted in PD14 being VERY slow and "freezing" momentarily. I was wondering if there was a way to perform "bulk" Power Tool edits (video speed) on multiple clips, then I wouldn't have to go through all these gyrations.
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, Karl!

Your query on "bulk" Power Tool edits, Hmmm. That's a tricky one! I think I'd best hand that one on to Dafydd Bevan or Optodata, and see what they come up with.

Season's Greetings!

Neil.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Karl

It sounds like you're doing everything right, but I think working with the sped-up video is too much for your computer to do in real-time. Because of how video is encoded, the player/editor needs to extract, decompress and decode each frame in sequence. When playing a video or with most kinds of editing, that's not a problem.

However, when you're working with sped-up clips, the editor has to skip some of the frames to meet your new speed but it still has to retrieve, decompress and decode every single frame - even the ones that will be skipped - in order to create the next frame down the line. Trying to do that in real-time while playing the video at a faster-than-normal speed is more than most systems can do.

Fortunately, there are a couple of simple ways to get you to the finish line.

On this project where you've got all the speed changes in place, just produce the video to your desired output as-is, and then make all the final cuts, trims, edits, transitions, etc. in PD14 using the produced clip. Since all the speed changes are now "built-in" to the produced clip, your computer won't need to do any extra work and you won't see any slowdowns. When you're ready to produce the final version, you should be able to use SVRT and produce to the same format very quickly.

Another option is to use the *Magic+PD* method, which preconverts all your original clips into an editor-friendly "intra-frame" codec (called MagicYUV). This special codec allows PD to access every frame independently, so PD can actually just skip the unneeded frames when speeding up a clip and still have the next frame ready to go without any extra calculations. This means you can edit in real-time at Full HD resolution and not have any of the long waits you're now seeing.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
Karl3054 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Opto for the detailed response. I think you have nailed the issue as described in your first two paragraphs!

Producing the sped up video, then adding the cuts, trims, edits and transitions to the produced file has worked well as a "workaround". I will definitely look into the Magic+PD approach, however.

Thanks again.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I'm glad that worked out, and thanks for confirming that producing first solved the slow editing problem for you

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°