Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Pop up when select 'settings' RESOLVED
Ed71 [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Dorset, United Kingdom Joined: May 17, 2008 14:32 Messages: 207 Offline
[Post New]
Not sure if this is Windows or PowerDirector issue?

When press 'settings' gear icon - get the attached pop up - press OK and carry on as normal.

Have just done a fresh install of Windows 10 & PD etc onto new SSD drive, never saw this on previous installation.

Is the 'settings' icon calling on a folder which needs its permissions changing? Everything is installed as default Windows.

Any help appreciated - not a major issue just an annoyance!
[Thumb - 2015-12-12 (2).png]
 Filename
2015-12-12 (2).png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
1025 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
82 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 18. 2015 17:27

Director Suite 365
AMD FX-8320 3.50 GHz Eight-Core
Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250gb (OS)
Seagate 2TB SATA-III Hybrid 7200RPM Hard Drive (Data)
Toshiba 4TB SATA-III Hard drive (Archive)
24GB Memory
Nvidia GeForce GTX 650 2gb
Microsoft® Windows 10 (64-bit)
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Not normal, but depends on how one configures windows UAC on your PC. Try running PD14 with right mouse click, "Run as administrator" and see if issue no longer present. If so, most likely UAC issue.

Jeff
Ed71 [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Dorset, United Kingdom Joined: May 17, 2008 14:32 Messages: 207 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Jeff

Thanks for your input - issue does go away if 'run as administrator' however as the only user of the computer & the only user account I thought I was the administrator!

Tried varying the UAC settings with no effect

Any suggestions as to what settings in Windows could be changed to overcome this?

Thanks

Ed Director Suite 365
24GB Memory
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
If you right-click on the PD14 desktop icon and choose Properties, look in the Target: box. Is PD14 installed to "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDirector14\PDR.exe"?

You can also click on the Open File Location button from the Properties window to open File Explorer at that location. Click the up arrow under the Home menu to go up one folder, then right-click on the PowerDirector14 folder and choose Properties, then Security. Scroll through the Group or user names and see what permissions are set for Administrators (all are allowed on my system) and Users (only Read & execute; List folder contents; and Read are selected on mine).

You can try changing the User permission to Full control and Modify by using the Edit button and see if that solves the issue.

Another option would be to uninstall PD14 and right-click on the installer to run as Admin when you reinstall it. That may set the correct permissions for you automatically so you'd be able to run it just by double clicking each time.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
Ed71 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Optodata

Thanks for your suggestions

I tried the re-installation as 'administrator' having seen it suggested after a Forum search for similar issues; on the PD13 forum (may have been in one of your posts?) This did not alter the problem unfortunately

I have also now tried altering the permissions as suggested, giving full control, again unfortunately this does not alter the problem

Also noted that the same pop up occurs when selecting 'OK' on the screen recorder settings, which does in fact stop the use of this particular bit of software, as the settings can't be changed.

However, following on from your suggestions, I have gone into the 'properties / advanced' settings of each of my taskbar shortcuts for PD & Screen recorder, selected 'run as administrator' tick box, then adjusted the UAC notifications to the lowest setting - each now run without any pop ups.

Not sure if am creating a potential issue by doing this? Director Suite 365
24GB Memory
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Well, the only issue is that you've essentially shut off all UAC notifications for your whole computer to get rid of the nags over running these two programs as an Admin.

Whether or not that's an acceptable risk is for you to decide, but it certainly would be best if we could resolve the underlying issue that's requiring you to run them as an Admin in the first place.

You haven't posted the results of a DxDiag test, but your signature shows that you're running Win10. Here on the forum there have been quite a few seemingly unrelated issues caused by the upgrade process of that OS, particularly if the upgrade was done around when it was released in late July.

3 suggestions come to mind, two which may help and the 3rd certainly will. The first is to run sfc /scannow from an Admin-level command prompt and see if Windows can detect and repair the issue. You can search for posts from me on the forum for more info.

I don't know what version of Win10 you have, but at this point I assume its "th2" (build 10586). If not, you can check to see if there are any updates waiting to be downloaded or installed.

The second option would be to contact Cyberlink tech support with the details and see if they can get things fixed. If you do that, it would be really helpful if you could post their instructions here once everything is working.

The final option is to use the Reset this PC tool, which will fully reinstall Win10 with all your existing apps in place. It may sound fairly drastic, but it actually only takes 10-15 minutes and should completely fix everything.

With your situation, I'd actually want to remove PD14 before using the Reset this PC tool so we can be sure that Win10 is fully functional before adding PD14 to the mix. The best way to check is to run the DxDiag tool and look to see if there are any errors listed at the bottom of the report. Errors with WindowsUpdate or WindowsDefender are bad news and they may exist right now, but a solid reinstall should show no errors there.

From that point on, installing PD14 and patching it to the latest version should run normally without any need for Admin-level permissions.

You have several choices here, and it's entirely up to you to decide whether to keep things as they are or move forward with any of the other options.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 14. 2015 17:22

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Ed71 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Optodata

Thanks for your comprehensive reply, I would certainly like to resolve the underlying issue,

1) Tried the sfc / scannow - no errors reported by that

2) OS Build 10586.29 with Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3116900)

3) Tried the Reset PC Tool; it was rather more drastic than I expected (most software will have to be re-installed) Having re-installed Director Suite 4; unfortunately the original issue is still there.

I have attached a DXDiag which I took BEFORE then another AFTER the reset.

Both show errors at the bottom, beyond my knowledge as to if they are significant or not.

I have currently only installed the basic Director Suite in case there is an issue with the basic Windows install which needs resolving

(my installation media for the SSD installation was downloaded / created when I did the Windows 10 upgrade, then saved onto a DVD; the reset procedure did not require the use of it)

When I first installed the SSD last week, PhotoDirector did not run at all for a bit, then sorted itself out (issue been reported by various users on the PhotoDirector forum, this issue has not re-appeared)

I will also submit query to technical support
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
Before reset
 Filesize
78 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
281 time(s)
 Filename
DxDiag after.txt
[Disk]
 Description
After reset
 Filesize
78 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
261 time(s)
Director Suite 365
24GB Memory
optodata
[Post New]
I'm sorry to hear that the problem persists. It sounds like you chose the option to keep everything when you used the Reset this PC tool but many programs were still uninstalled. If that's the case you don't have much to lose now I think you should now run the tool again and this time choose Remove Everything.

Be sure you've backed up any personal files unless you've previously moved the libraries (My docs, pictures, etc.) to another drive.

The errors in your "DxDiag after" results show more serious OS problems than before, with OneDrive and WindowsDefender causing the 10 most-recent crashes. You shouldn't see any crashes of those utilities following a reset, and while we might be able to repair them I think starting with a clean slate is the best approach.

One issue with Win10 is that it will always download and install the latest drivers (like from nVidia) and sometimes that can cause other issues. There are confirmed problems with PD14 with the nVidia 359.00 and 359.06 drivers, especially if the GeForce Experience app is installed, and you may want to manually download and install the 358.91 driver after your next Reset and choose the Custom (Advanced) installation and uncheck everything except the Graphics Drivers.

Looking at the rest of your results, I see you have a logical Drive H: partition on your HDD that's only 300MB in size. Drives D: and I: are also on that physical drive, and if you didn't intentionally create that small H: you may want to delete it and expand your D: drive a bit to recover the space. I doubt that this has anything to do with the DS4 problems, but it stands out quite a bit and I don't see why you'd want such a small drive.

When you're ready for the Remove Everything reset, follow the prompts and let the installer create a new user account (it can have the same name and login as your current one). Since your not keeping any of the previous settings, the file structure, permissions and registry will all be created from scratch which should completely eliminate whatever problems were present in the current configuration.

I can't imagine a situation where you'd have any issues like you currently have after a Remove Everything Reset unless somehow the DS4 installer is corrupted. You can try uninstalling DS4 and grabbing another copy of the installer to see if that makes a difference before you do the final Reset.

YouTube/optodata

Ed71 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Optodata

Have just done the full PC reset (went for the option that was the most comphensive) and the error messages have certainly disappeared; which is great (in both programmes) Many thanks for your advice

Will reload all my normal programmes and see if anything being loaded causes a problem

Text deleted - resolved minor issue myself

I attach a DXDiag from immediately after the full reset; there does appear to be some errors still listed at the end?

The Windows installer just offered me the option to log into my Windows account, which I did (rather than a new user account?) The only part of your process I missed out on was the custom (Advanced) install; was reading on my phone rather than computer and did not see that bit, so was an express install.

The odd little drives on the HDD are the left over from when this was the system & data drive - I had not wanted to wipe them out until I was happy that the new SSD was functioning correctly. (in case I had to clone instead of fresh install or recover files etc that I had forgotten to save on the data drive) (Think H was system reserved and I was the OS)
 Filename
DxDiag Full Reset.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
78 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
243 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 17. 2015 16:11

Director Suite 365
24GB Memory
optodata
[Post New]
Well, everything looks and sounds good from where I sit. Congratulations!

The errors in the new DxDiag are very minor and were caused by Windows not being able to find a suitable driver for one or more older devices attached to your system. Unlike before, you can safely ignore all of them now.

It certainly looks like you got Win10 installed soundly and you're now free to delete the smaller I: and H: drives and extend the D: drive to recover all that space. FYI if you had needed to reuse the drive to install Windows on, the Windows installer would have automatically created those partitions which is why there's no risk in deleting them now.

In any event, I'm happy to have helped get your system in tip-top (and crash-free) shape, so have a great holiday season and happy editing

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 17. 2015 17:05

YouTube/optodata

Ed71 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Many thanks for all your help & input on this; have really appreciated the time you have put in to help resolve the issues so quickly,

Enjoy the holiday season!

Ed

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 18. 2015 14:02

Director Suite 365
24GB Memory