Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Importing Videos with Transparency issues
Ragged Jock [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Canada Joined: Jan 30, 2015 22:16 Messages: 25 Offline
[Post New]
I have recentley purchased two motion graphics effects from Videohive for use in projects I am working on. When I import the files into PD14 thye are very choppy and are hardly usable. I tried converting through Media Espresso, but lose the transparency. I was wondering if anyone had had experience with these kinds of files and may have suggestions. If not I have wasted a few bucks.

I believe the the issue is the video encoding. If you look at the links you will see that they are encoded as follows:

<a>http://videohive.net/item/snow-cave-christmas-curtain-open/13770034</a> is encoded as PHOTO JPEG

http://videohive.net/item/real-golf-ball-spinning-prekeyed/10878208 is encoded as PHOTO PNG + ALPHA

They purchased files are .mov files which I think is the container for the video files. Is Power Director 14 able to import these or is this not possible. I did try to PRODUCE the file to an AVI, which took about 3 1/2 minutes for the 20 seconf render and when played it was OK. It just doesn't work well under PD14.

Any suggestions or hints ?

Thank you
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
G'day Ragged Jock -

Those alpha channel videos from VideoHive generally have quite high bitrates - and that would possibly be the cuase of the stuttering playback. I have a collection of similar RGBA colour space videos & the bitrates are anything from 60 to 220Mbps. They're usually short clips so my system manages to playback OK.

You're right - conversion will turn the transparent sections black, so that's no an option.

Is your PC up to the task? Post a DxDiag and members might be able to offer some guidance.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Ragged Jock [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Canada Joined: Jan 30, 2015 22:16 Messages: 25 Offline
[Post New]
Tony,
Thank you for the response.

My computer is a HP 27" All in One with 12GB RAM. Processor is i7-4790, Intel HD Graphics 4600 and a Nvidia GeForce 830A, so the PC should be able to handle it.
The files are rather large due to the PNG and JPEG video encoding procedure.
One file is 257MB for 9 secs and the second file is 651 MB for 20 secs.
Bitrates are 240Mbps and 225 Mbps and they are 1920 x 1080.
If I edit frame by frame it's workable and when rendered out plays OK. For me the best wil be to produce just that segment and then use it in the whole project. Not very seamless but workable. I think it is the way that Power Director handles alpha channels and this type of file encoding.
One other note is that even Quicktime plays back the files (.mov) a little choppy.
I will just have to be a bit more observant when buying these overlays.
Can't seem to find how to attach the DXdiag file to this response.

EDIT.....Found it...by editing the post after submitting !!

Thank you
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
84 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
647 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 08. 2015 21:42

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Your DxDiag indicates that your GPU driver is about 5 months old. That would be worth updating, though I had no luck on the Nvidia site with the GeForce 830A - nor any 800 series GPU!

Your system is no "gun" by any means, & you could probably expect it to jerk its way through clips like you're using. Your idea of working with that short section of video and pre-producing to include in the main project is a good one.

I ran a couple of basic tests on two of my PCs, using 2 different alpha channel clips - one at 119Mbps & the other at 302Mbps. You'll see in the screen capture how each PC handles the "load" (your PC would sit somewhere between the two)...

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!