Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Adding a custom background to the media room
Karl3054 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 13, 2013 00:23 Messages: 30 Offline
[Post New]
I want to add a custom background to the backgrounds available in the backgrounds section of the media room. The backgrounds appear to be simply .jpg files, but I can't find a way from the PD14 screen to add my own image. I tried adding the image to the "Backgrounds" folder in the Cyberlink>Power Director Folder, but could not get it to show up on the backgrounds in the media room. Surely there's a way to do this that is straightforward...can anyone help?
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Karl -

Yes - it's straightforward & you're doing it in the most straightforward way.

If you add a .jpg/.jpeg file to the Background folder at C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDirector14\Background\16_9 the image should be available in PDR under "Backgrounds"

That's the only way I know how to do it. Screenshot attached.

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - PDR Background.png]
 Filename
PDR Background.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
264 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
131 time(s)

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Karl3054 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 13, 2013 00:23 Messages: 30 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks Tony. You've been a big help and didn't even know it. I did exactly what you describe above, but the image didn't show up in the background selections. Just for giggles (and because I trust you to know what you're talking about!), I changed the aspect ratio preference selection to 4:3, and...BOOM, there it is! So I went to Paint.net, changed (cropped) my image to 16x9 and saved it in the 16x9 folder and sure enough, there it is. (I learned something about Paint.net, too!!)

So thanks very much for your help.

KK
THE MAD CAMERA MAN
Newbie Location: UK Joined: Mar 06, 2012 05:40 Messages: 36 Offline
[Post New]
You must add picture to Desktop first and then copy it from the Desktop to the BACKGOUND folder, otherwise you will not see it in the Media room in PD.

This also works for PD 14 and PD15.
FrightRisk [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 27, 2018 21:55 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
I know this is an old topic, but I can't get some images to show up in the backgrounds section. I've resized them the same way I do other files. They just won't show up. The only other clue I have is that the thumbnail in Windows 10 also appears wrong, like it it the old thumbnail. The image is larger than all the rest in windows explorer.
FrightRisk [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 27, 2018 21:55 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
I'll answer my post. I saved the image with the same dimensions as other images, yet it still had a thumbnail with the wrong aspect ratio, which is why it had a different thumbnail. I was working in a simple tool, IrfanView. So I opened it in photoshop, there I could see it was 1920x1280 instead of 1080. I guess PD ignores any file that dosn't match the aspect ratio in the folder? So I used the aspect ratio tool in the upper left corner to give me 16x9 and just trimmed the top and bottom. Saved it and restarted PD and it worked. Any free tool, or if you have PhotoDirector will work too, I have several, but I chose PS because I knew how to use the aspect ratio tool without me having to drag a rectangle to try to get the exact pixels or find out if there was a similar tool in one of my other tools.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
It works for me for 1920 x 1080 resolution jpg files in the right folder.