Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Is there an option (perhaps a more techhie way) to change the scratch disk?
MelRay
Newbie Location: Cypress, TX (Houston) Joined: Nov 27, 2015 08:58 Messages: 17 Offline
[Post New]
As stated I would like to know (I already looked at the settings which I may have overlooked somewhere) if there is a way to change where PD 14 is saving temp/cache files while doing edits? I have a second 1TB internal drive that has nothing on it (I upgraded to a newer SATA III 2TB internal for OS and apps) and would like to set it to use as the scratch disk.

Thank You,

MelRay Thank you for your help!,

MelRay

Chaos reigns within. Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: As stated I would like to know (I already looked at the settings which I may have overlooked somewhere) if there is a way to change where PD 14 is saving temp/cache files while doing edits? I have a second 1TB internal drive that has nothing on it (I upgraded to a newer SATA III 2TB internal for OS and apps) and would like to set it to use as the scratch disk.

Thank You,

MelRay
The only location where some files are stored other than the Windows temp areas are in the Preferences > File > Export folder.

There are three folders automatically generated in the Export Folder: Preview Cache Files, ShadowEditFiles, and SplitterIndex

The Windows temp areas that Powerdirector uses can not be changed. Except by redirecting the Windows files to another location.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/redirect-folder-new-location#1TC=windows-7

Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2024314/redirect-folders-drives-windows-windows.html Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Mel [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 27, 2015 10:26 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
Carl312 thanks again for the great information!
GGRussell [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Jan 08, 2012 11:38 Messages: 709 Offline
[Post New]
You can easily change Windows environment variables. Have been doing this since Windows 3.

In Windows 7, 8 or 10:

Open Control panel
In Search, type 'environment variables'
Should take you to System Properties / Advanced Tab
Lower right, click the Environment Variables button

Upper pane "User variables', you can add TMP and TEMP with the value as the drive and folder you prefer

In the lower pane for SYSTEM variables, scroll to TMP and TEMP.
Then edit those to same folder or other folder.
If these variables are not there, you can add them.
Click OK
Then OK again

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 02. 2015 19:51

Intel i7 4770k, 16GB, GTX1060 3GB, Two 240GB SSD, 4TB HD, Sony HDR-TD20V 3D camcorder, Sony SLT-A65VK for still images, Windows 10 Pro, 64bit
Gary Russell -- TN USA
Ed71 [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Dorset, United Kingdom Joined: May 17, 2008 14:32 Messages: 207 Offline
[Post New]
Believe am trying the achieve the same thing.

Ideally want to move the 'phototmp' folder from the C drive (appdata / roaming / cyberlink / powerdirector / 14 / phototmp) to a location on my D drive

Tried both the above methods

Opt 1 - it just recreated the folders in the original location (I only tried moving the cyberlink folder, not the rest of the appdata)

Opt 2 - moved lot of other temp folder content but not the cyberlink content, still went to the old location

(Reason for above is having just split the OS from Data onto two physical discs (rather than two partitions) found have lost any photo adjustment edits within PD which were held in these folders, so have had to do a bit of re-creating / re-editing)

For some reason I had thought they were contained within the Data drive so would not be lost with an OS wipe / clean install, which I had to do.

Could anyone advise further on the above?

(I am aware that the 'pack project' option avoids issues with missing project assets, have fallen out of the habit of doing this recently, leaving me with the above issue, will start doing it from now on but given that the only thing I appear to be missing is 'fixed' photos I thought a bit of 'belts and braces' would not do any harm!)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 03. 2016 17:03

Director Suite 365
AMD FX-8320 3.50 GHz Eight-Core
Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250gb (OS)
Seagate 2TB SATA-III Hybrid 7200RPM Hard Drive (Data)
Toshiba 4TB SATA-III Hard drive (Archive)
24GB Memory
Nvidia GeForce GTX 650 2gb
Microsoft® Windows 10 (64-bit)
Ed71 [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Dorset, United Kingdom Joined: May 17, 2008 14:32 Messages: 207 Offline
[Post New]
At second attempt - Carls option does work - had to change the location of the 'roaming' folder as this moves successfully - the cyberlink folder does not give (as far as I could see) the same option to move the location, which the 'roaming' folder does. Believe the cyberlink folder move option only moved the contents rather than the file path.

So have had to move the contents of all the other 'roaming' data, but hopefully won't impact on the working of anything else.

Overall am trying to move any variable data onto my Data drive as this is then in turn backed up onto the NAS automatically, so should never be totally lost again.

Is anyone aware of any other folders / locations that PD puts information that might be critical to editing a project in the future? Director Suite 365
AMD FX-8320 3.50 GHz Eight-Core
Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250gb (OS)
Seagate 2TB SATA-III Hybrid 7200RPM Hard Drive (Data)
Toshiba 4TB SATA-III Hard drive (Archive)
24GB Memory
Nvidia GeForce GTX 650 2gb
Microsoft® Windows 10 (64-bit)