Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Encoding hardware acceleration PD12
[Post New]
I use

• PD12

• Dell Precision 490 workstation (2 x Xeon 5130 with 8GB RAM)

for video editing.

Recently I bought Nvidia GeForce GTX555 1GB GPU hoping to speedup video encoding.... and I am surprised.....

My current measurements for 3 min long video are (without vs with acceleration) in min.sec

• MKV 3.45 vs 3.31 (6% faster)

• MP4 2.27 vs 2.18 (6% faster)

it is useless

Attached you can find DxDiag, CPU-Z and GPU-Z screenshots.

• GPU load is fractional, max 16% and average 1%.

• Processor load is nearly 100% on all CPUs,

• Memory usage no more than 20%

I hoped, that decent GPU will be utilized by PD but it doesn't look like that.

What is wrong?

PS

Sorry, wrong forum, please move to Power Director (previous versions)
[Thumb - DxDiag-system.jpg]
 Filename
DxDiag-system.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
126 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
125 time(s)
[Thumb - CPU-Z-cpu.jpg]
 Filename
CPU-Z-cpu.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
87 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
134 time(s)
[Thumb - GPU-Z.gif]
 Filename
GPU-Z.gif
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
23 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
118 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Nov 27. 2015 19:48

Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Wrong forum, oh well.

How are you selecting HA enabled encoding, screen pic showing settings would verify? The full dxdiag would help, not just the intro screen.

The GTX555 is a Fermi chip based GPU so one would have to use the older Nvidia drivers for CUDA enabled HA encoding, pre 340.43 drivers.

Jeff
[Post New]
Thanks Jeff for your prompt reply (only 3 files to attach so now you have other DxDiag screens)

I am aware of drivers issue and I use 337.88 version for that reason.

I also tick "Hardware video encoder" on the Produce tab screen.
[Thumb - DxDiag-screen1.jpg]
 Filename
DxDiag-screen1.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
103 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
128 time(s)
[Thumb - DxDiag-screen2.jpg]
 Filename
DxDiag-screen2.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
107 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
127 time(s)
[Thumb - HA screen.jpg]
 Filename
HA screen.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
82 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
114 time(s)
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Thanks Jeff for your prompt reply (only 3 files to attach so now you have other DxDiag screens)

I am aware of drivers issue and I use 337.88 version for that reason.

I also tick "Hardware video encoder" on the Produce tab screen.

HA screen.jpg does not enable HA encoding, it's decoding. On the "Produce" page "Fast video rendering technology:" and then the "Hardware video encoder".

For the dxdiag, output to a txt file and then upload that. The fourth button from the left, the Zapisz... button.

Jeff

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 27. 2015 20:10

[Post New]
There you go.
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
45 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
210 time(s)
[Post New]
Your GPU load pic looks a little odd to me, my experience would indicate you typically have a rather uniform load if doing just basic encoding. If you have significant chunks of timeline that needs additional CPU processing, like titles and such, you get the sporadic load. Since your CPU’s are at 100% tells me that's limiting the capability of the GPU for your particular timeline.

I've attached a GTX580 with 337.88 drivers and I get a fairly solid 25% GPU load.

Jeff
[Thumb - GTX580_HA2.png]
 Filename
GTX580_HA2.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
639 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
127 time(s)
[Post New]
That's the problem for me I cannot resolve.

It doesn't matter either I produce simple movie consisting of simple chunks or complicated one with movie within movie and a lot of tree leaves waveing. GPU usage picture is roughly the same - occasional load 40% for simple movie, 99% for complicated one but average 1-3%

I thought something was wrong with GPU but I ran FurMark and it runs fairly smooth with decent temperatures and 99% constant load.

I have no idea what is causinh the problem? _______________________________
regards, Tom
(PD365, Win10 Pro x64, Dell Precision T3500, Xeon W3670, 12GB, SSD)
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: That's the problem for me I cannot resolve.

It doesn't matter either I produce simple movie consisting of simple chunks or complicated one with movie within movie and a lot of tree leaves waveing. GPU usage picture is roughly the same - occasional load 40% for simple movie, 99% for complicated one but average 1-3%

I thought something was wrong with GPU but I ran FurMark and it runs fairly smooth with decent temperatures and 99% constant load.

I have no idea what is causinh the problem?

So you see reasonable GPU load for just a simple encoding of a basic default clip like Nature.wmv? Do you still see nearly 100% CPU usage with that?

If so, my guess the poor overall performance for a real timeline may simply be the dual 5130's are not up to preprocessing the timeline content for the encoding handoff to the GPU. With a Passmark http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup.php?cpu=Intel+Xeon+5130+%40+2.00GHz&id=1183&multi=2 score of 2615 they will struggle in this aspect, but if it meets your needs, that's what counts.

My GTX580 test was in a PC with a Passmark CPU score of ~9000 so not real comparable to what you have. Even with that, the CPU load for a simple Nature.wmv GPU encoded to H.264 1920x1080 (24Mbps) is near 80%. I see your 5130's really struggling in the preprocessing stage and controlling the overall encode performance.

Jeff
[Post New]
I ran PassMark test on my computer and it shows CPU score 2814

So you think, the real bottleneck is CPU which is not able to produce enough tasks to feed GPU?

What score should be enough to handle it? _______________________________
regards, Tom
(PD365, Win10 Pro x64, Dell Precision T3500, Xeon W3670, 12GB, SSD)