Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Can I expect trerrible performance in retail ver., same as I do the trial version?
[Post New]
So I downloaded trail, trying to figure out if I want to buy this software. I have been editing on Windows Movie Maker lately, but I have definitely outgrown it.

The thing is, this program is slow. It hangs, and runs up my CPUs, thinks, hangs, does what I clicked on.. then stops, maybe I get a "program not responding" box, thewn that goes away.

All I did was split a 1080p video and add the color adjuster FX, then tried to add a transition. Seriously WMM on Win 7 64 performs 35 times better than this.

I have a relatively fast PC, but I do not have old Nvidia drivers as I saw on one of the web pages that this program needs apparently.. I hop ethat is not actually the case.

I also use the PC for gaming once in a while, so downgrading to old drivers every time I want to edit a video is out of the question. I can't even begin to understand why they do not support current drivers if that is the case. If that is really what is going on, what are they thinking?

Oh great.. No copy/ paste or spell check or any other right click options in the text box!

I am seeing a pattern here.

I acccidentally deleted half the post half of the post and no "undo button"?

Great. And I cannot even write it in a text box and ctrl+V it here. What the heck? :-/

So is there anyway to get better perfrmance without downgrading gfx drivers to ancient ones?

Oh great I cfanot even copy-paste my PC specs.

Well I'm not typing rig specs out I guess I'll attach a pic..
[Thumb - rig specs txt pic.jpg]
 Filename
rig specs txt pic.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
rig
 Filesize
377 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
99 time(s)
[Post New]
Test..

Yup this forum has terrible software. No right click, no spell check, no paste, no copy.

Nice.
[Post New]
interesting pic... It gets worse and worse.

My CPU is running at about 3% and this program is hanging.. Maybe it should use spome of that CPU power to run instead of just hanging every time I click anything?

Is this program really that bad?

I feel sorry for anyone who just read a review and goes out and buys thing program if it acts like this.
[Thumb - powerdirector not responding.jpg]
 Filename
powerdirector not responding.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
292 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
93 time(s)
PepsiMan
Senior Contributor Location: Clarksville, TN Joined: Dec 29, 2010 01:20 Messages: 1054 Offline
[Post New]
welcome to the forum.

no, i always say it's the grasshopper behind the trigger not the gun.

update your nVidia drivers to 358.91,

Quicktime and DivX to current version... then try again.

no, trial version is limited in what you can and can not do.

your comp spec is enough to run the PD14...

just a reminder, playing game and editing videos isn't same.

PepsiMan

'garbage in garbage out'

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 12. 2015 02:44

'no bridge too far'

Yashica Electro 8 LD-6 Super 8mm
Asrock TaiChi X470, AMD R7 2700X, W7P 64, MSI GTX1060 6GB, Corsair 16GB/RAM
Dell XPS L702X i7-2860QM, W7P / W10P 64, Intel HD3000/nVidia GT 550M 1GB, Micron 16GB/RAM
Samsung Galaxy Note3/NX1
[Post New]
I have latest drivers.

I realize games are different than encoding, I never thought said or implied they were the same.

This program is a pig on my machine. The worst program I have ever used on this machine so far. It is terrible.

I'm not a rookie, been building PCs for decades now.
My PC is good. My Windows install is good. But I knew that.

Win 7 Ultimate 64

AMD FX8150 @ 4ghz
16GB 1866 DDR3
GTX670 2BG x 2 SLI

Is it SLI? Can this program not run w/ SLI?

I have 7 TB of WD Black 7200 RPM hard drives. They are fast for mechanical drives. Fast enough for encoding video.

I don't understand why this program is so buggy and slow. I'm not even talking about final encoding, I'm talking about just editing at this point. As soon as I add an affect and split the video, it slows to a crawl, I go back to play it from before the split and it hangs for 20 seconds.. every single time. It is like it is re-encoding that part of the video every single time I try to play it.

Is something disabled in trial version that would cause this?

What options need to be checked for the fastest possible performance while editing? I even ran the preview in low resolution and it made no difference. Hangs after hangs, long pause after long pause. "Program not responding" box pops up and goes away, then pops up again.

Seriously WMM it way faster which cannot be right.

I have the boxes checked in the options for hardware acceleration. I see only two boxes. One for Open CL and the other is just "hardware acceleration"

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Nov 12. 2015 04:29

[Post New]
I just noticed it said "pre-Kepler architecture"

So that cannot be it as I have GTX670 cards.

Ok, well that is worrying as I thought maybe that was the problem.

Latest quicktime installed, not sure about DivX but the program never said I had to install anything else. I use Media Player Classic which I think installs those codecs and that is up to date.

Not looking good.

I downloaded trail for Corel VideoStudio and that had hardware acceleration completely disabled, so that was useless. I feared maybe same thing here, but this runs about as bad as if HW acceleration was turned off.

BTW
Has anyone told Cyberlink this forum software is broken? Cannot do anything in these text boxes.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Nov 12. 2015 03:54

[Post New]
"no, i always say it's the grasshopper behind the trigger not the gun. "

Yup.. Install program, use it. It hangs and stutters and generally performs miserably.

Hmm... Must be my fault, even though every other peice of software on my PC runs as expected.

I installed latest Divx, Installed latest Quicktime.

Surprise, no difference.

This program runs like * * ** my PC is not the fastest inthe world, but it is fast. It should at least be able to play the preview without hanging every time I go to a different spot in the video.

I guess maybe that's just how it runs.. Maybe I was expecting too much. I cannot understand how people put up with this. Guess I will just give up and buy something else. Adobe or Sony are the ones that are left on my list.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Nov 12. 2015 04:36

[Post New]
Well since I cannot paste or copy or do anything in the forum text box except when making a brand new post, I guess I'll just make a new post and copy the stuff here-

http://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdirector-ultimate/spec_en_US.html

"NVIDIA:

GeForce 8500GT/9800GT and above
GeForce GT/GTS/GTX 200/400/500/600/700/800/900 Series

PLEASE NOTE: For users of NVIDIA cards using pre-Kepler architecture who have updated to graphics driver 340.43 or later, the CUDA video hardware video encoder feature in PowerDirector is no longer available. To re-enable hardware acceleration, please download and install an earlier driver."

It says Pre-Kepler only I see.. That's what I was talking about.

So that is not the problem obviously since I have a GTX670.

I can't copy/ paste in text box so I have to make a brand new post. Oh well, not my fault.

Anyways..
[Post New]
Tried again. Everything is updated. I just checked.

My PC CPUs burn and video cards are going.. and this program is just an absolute PIG.

Every time I click something it just stops, hourglass.. wait some amount of seconds. Sometimes stops responding.. Wait some more. Click the slider again.. uh oh.. Repeat the several second process again while CPU fans ramp up. This time i was trying to apply a "fix/enhancer" Every time I touch the dang slider the program freezes. What the hell?

Wow, just wow. Terrible. This is unusable. WMM is 10x better than this. I mean the performance while editing. At least it is usable.

it is as if this editor has absolutely now hardware acceleration, yet it is doing something to heat up my CPU and gfx cards. Must just be it is a poorly coded program that runs bad. That's what it feels like.

Just sitting in the background doing absolutely nothing at all and it is running up my CPUs to about 50%. All 8 of them!

It is doing NOTHING. In the background.. yet burning my CPUs up. Wow. Then when I try to actually do something, it instantly hangs and glitches and stutters and hangs again.

Judging by this trial version, this must be the worst video editor ever made. Completey unusable.

Maybe they should test out the trail versions once in a while because this cannot be right.
[Thumb - cyber-glitch powerdirector of bugs.jpg]
 Filename
cyber-glitch powerdirector of bugs.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
394 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
89 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Nov 12. 2015 05:39

[Post New]
**UPDATE**

PDHanumanSvr.exe

Is burning up my CPU while program sits and does nothing

PDR.exe is at 0% usage.

W T H

I guess this is just riddled with bugs and glitches and who knows what..

Very disappointing.
[Post New]
Just in case anyone thinks I'm making stuff up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilmHc4vAc_Y

I'm not. This program runs like crap.

Everything up to date.. no huge programs running in background. It acts the exact same way when I am not recording desktop.

It is probably DRM running wild or something. I bet pirate version runs great. That is the sad part.
PepsiMan
Senior Contributor Location: Clarksville, TN Joined: Dec 29, 2010 01:20 Messages: 1054 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:

Win 7 Ultimate 64

AMD FX8150 @ 4ghz
16GB 1866 DDR3
GTX670 2BG x 2 SLI

Is it SLI? Can this program not run w/ SLI?

no, PD does not support SLI.

disable one card.

you can see my system in my signature.

i don't have any problems at all; however, my nVidia driver is v347.25.

other users do not have any problems with v358.xx drivers.

i am happy happy joy joy...
PepsiMan

'garbage in garbage out'

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Nov 12. 2015 18:36

'no bridge too far'

Yashica Electro 8 LD-6 Super 8mm
Asrock TaiChi X470, AMD R7 2700X, W7P 64, MSI GTX1060 6GB, Corsair 16GB/RAM
Dell XPS L702X i7-2860QM, W7P / W10P 64, Intel HD3000/nVidia GT 550M 1GB, Micron 16GB/RAM
Samsung Galaxy Note3/NX1
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
BWX,

Everybody that used the Cyberlink forum agrees that the current version of the Forum software is very bad.

There are a few things you do not know in using this forum.

1. if you use the Quick Reply link, you do not have access to posting attachments.

2. To post attachments use PostReply. Look at the bottom of the text box you will see a Blue Attachments Button, you can attach up to three items on one post.

3. There is a lot of good information at the top of the forum. This Link http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/45453.page is one of the great explanations for information that is useful to us, (the people that can answer your questions and give you help).

4. The most asked for information is Part A and Part B. Those two pieces of information saves a great deal of questions.

5. You can attache videos and images, which you have done. The Part B information is compiled into a text file then attached to the forum. Saves a great deal on your part to supply the information. The computer generates the information in a text file.

Read the information in my link above.

. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Julien Pierre [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Apr 14, 2011 01:34 Messages: 476 Offline
[Post New]
The editing performance in the retail version is the same as the trial. Rendering perf may be better, and some software codecs are unavailable in the trial due to licensing reasons. With the retail version, you can apply the latest patches, also, which I don't think you can with the trial.

It is likely the effects that are bogging you down. I have not used the lens correction. But color correction adjustments are pretty expensive in my experience. Even on HD material, with a similar FX-8350 CPU, the rendering time is often 4-6x the duration of the project when using a few effects.

The effects are also applied in the preview and thus slow things down during editing. MSI X99A Raider
Intel i7-5820k @ 4.4 GHz
32GB DDR4 RAM
Gigabyte nVidia GTX 960 4GB
480 GB Patriot Ignite SSD (boot)
2 x 480 GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD (striped)
6 x 1 TB Samsung 860 SSD (striped)

2 x LG 32UD59-B 32" 4K
Asus PB238 23" HD (portrait)
[Post New]
I am now trying to simply edit a very short vid, maybe 5 -6 minutes long..

As soon as I split the video, then add a simple transition, going back and forth to view the video to see what happened takes for--ev---er.

Each time I go back to before the split on the timeline, it acts like it is the first time I ever did it! it is infuriating.

It would be impossible to edit like this.

Go into WMM and and you can split 1080p videos all day long, and add transitions, and watch them instantly. I could have edited this vid in WMM in 5 minutes and it is taking hours in this program.

It is absolutely terrible.

I have not gotten to rendering anything, just editing.

If this program cannot even do a "quick version" to view for editing purposes like a free program (WMM) can, than I think it is quite worthless and all the bells and whistles are also worthless if splitting a video and adding a transition cannot be done in a reasonable time, and then burns your CPU, and hangs the program, and re-renders each time you go back to see the results of your edit.

It is probbaly the most time wasting, frustrating, video editing experience I have had in my life.

No "FX" either. Just splitting a video here and adding a transition. The exact same thing I would do in WMM. No advanced anything.

I have a feeling this is just how it is and if I bought this I would want a refund.

I have SLI enabled, but in video drivers I have it set to "nvidia recommended" so I am sure it is only using one card if it only supports one card.

I guess that will be the last thing I can do, completely disable SLI just to run this program (which I shouldn't have to do). If that doesn't fix it, then I give up, and I pray for the sanity of anyone who paid a bunch of money, and is stuck using this software.

It might be good if it actually worked. Cannot blame my PC as WMM can do this all in lightning speed. Rendering takes time, that is not what I am talking about here. If it rendered everything you do as if rendering final cut, then that is just poor programming.

What a waste of time.

[Post New]
Well I disabled 2nd vid card and still the same. Every time I do anything the program hangs for 5 to 30 seconds.

Most of the time it is about 5 to 10 seconds. Just putting in a simple transition does it. Then it is impossible to see what the thing looks like because it will not play smoothly in the preview.

It gets up to the transition, pauses, screen goes black, audio stops, then it skips past about 5 to 10 seconds, then hangs, then starts playing video again way past the transition.

Go try the same thing in free WMM that comes in Win 7 64 Ultimate, it happens instantly. I figured I would be getting better performance with a $100 program, not 100 times worse performance. That is literally probably 1000 times worse since WMM doesn't hang at all. Also WMM doesn't run up my CPU to 50 to 90% while editing.

I cannot imagine this is how it is supposed to work, but if it is, then how in the world is this getting good reviews? It must be all "paid for" reviews I guess.

My PC is plenty fast to do a simple transition and preview it. This program is either broken, or poorly designed, or else the trail version is broken, in which case they just lost a sale because I was going to buy it based on it's capabilities.

Too bad.. I cannot imagine working with this software like it is. I am going to finish this one video edit and delete this terrible trial version off of my machine and go try Sony or Adobe or something else.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Hi BWX

I've just seen this thread and I can assure you that if anyone had 1/10th the problems you've documented, that PD would be history. It's very clear from your video that something is terribly wrong with your installation, and chances are that things are so wrong - they'll actually be fairly simple to fix

I understand that you are very experienced and have no trouble installing programs and maintaining your computer. The specs you provided in the video are informative, but there's no diagnostic info and it would really help to have you run the DxDiag test as described in Part B of the Welcome sticky and attach the text file here. Part J would also help as it would tell us what kinds of clips you're working with. "MP4" or "4k" isn't enough info - we'd need to see the details on the codec as shown by MediaInfo or a similar app.

The biggest problem with the trial version is that it doesn't support MP4 clips, which includes most HD and 4k clips these days. If that's what you're trying to work with, there's actually a high chance that the issues are caused by whichever codecs are currently installed on your system, as they may not not work well with PD.

The full version of PD will include all necessary codecs, but it doesn't seem like you're at a point where you'd consider buying the full version to test it out, even with the 30-day money back guarantee. Maybe that will be more of an option if we can get past the most serious roadblocks.

PD can also act up if you have shadow files turned on but you're trying to edit before they're finished. In the Media Room, all the little tags on the clips need to be green. If any are still yellow, please wait until they turn green before trying to edit. I have no way of knowing how many clips you have in the project or whether you're using shadow files, so that's why it's really important to provide that information.

Other things that can cause issues like this are a mangled installation or problems with Quicktime. If you haven't already done this, please try uninstalling PD and QT, then install PD again and let it install QT. The version of QT is not the most recent, so please download the latest version and install it. The only thing you need are the Essentials Files, and you can set everything else to not be installed.

PD depends on the QT framework to access many codecs, so you need to have QT installed even if you never work with QT/MOV clips.

I've listed several things that will either help directly or will at least help us figure out what's going on. I realize that you've been very frustrated with how the trial version has behaved, and I hope you're willing to take those next steps so we can get things working like they're supposed to!

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
[Post New]
The first vid was a .MOV from a Mobius, the second vid (I have finally finished editing it- will link to yt vid) was a .MOV from a Canon SX230 IS.

It worked better with that fine, but it was a short vid. But the entire program hangs and stutters, all the time. It is like that is it's default behavior. Press a button, program hangs for 2 to 30 seconds, press another button, program hangs in same way.

Editing a video would drive someone to drink. Every time I split the vid, and then put a simple transition, and go back to before the split to preview it, it runs up CPUs and then gets to transition and then stops, hangs, audio stops, it skips several seconds and then starts playing again way past the split. it acts like that on just about every button press that controls anything to do with editing.

Everything is completely updated with latest version, everything. If you need to do a rain dance and pray to a mystic legend god while patting your head and rubbing your tummy while chewing special tree bark for this to work properly, then that is a problem with the program, not the end user.

I bet if someone tool a video of actual editing, I would see much the same stuttering and pausing and hanging as I did while editing this last video. It wasn't as bad as the above vid I posted, but still very poor performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goeNjClUyTQ

It took several hours to edit that vid with the terribly slow editing performance. Obviously it worked in the end, but my god was it slow.

-----------------------------------
MediaInfo app.

First one I found and downloaded came up with a virus :-/
first google result-
https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

Infected with:
OpenCandy

Rank this week: Nº 34
Websites affected: 26
Users affected: 5,000,000 - 10,000,000
Affected Operating Systems: All Windows OS

OpenCandy Summary
OpenCandy is a software that installs an additional program to display and/or download to your device unwanted advertisements, toolbars and may be considered privacy-invasive. These kinds of threats, called Adware, track your computer's web usage to feed you undesired ad pop-ups and some might even hijack your browser start or search pages, redirecting you to a different site or search engine than the one you had originally configured.

http://www.avgthreatlabs.com/ww-en/virus-and-malware-information/info/opencandy/?name=OpenCandy.139&utm_source=TDPU&utm_medium=SCAN&PRTYPE=AVF
------------------------------

This one from sourceforge didn't have malware
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mediainfo/?source=typ_redirect

Guess I will upload that info but I think the problem is with this program.
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
29 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
247 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 14. 2015 02:57

[Post New]
Video media info export
 Filename
canon vid-2.xml
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
4 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
300 time(s)
 Filename
mobius video.xml
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
4 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
282 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 14. 2015 03:17

[Post New]
I experimented with the shadow file on and off, it really didn't make any difference.

After I rebooted and edited the video I uploaded to youtube in post above, it worked better than in screen cap vid, but it was still painfully slow and hung up as a default "thing".

That's just what this program seems to do, stop responding, and cache your control inputs so it might be selecting who knows what in the background if you click on something. There seems to be some fundamental problems that no video codec will fix.

Also there are other serious control issues.

It doesn't let you use your arrow keys to fine tune adjustments such as when trying to adjust color saturation or hue or things like that. It forces you to use mouse cursor and does not respond to arrow keys like any program worth it's salt should do.

There are other examples of very poor user interface that would take me a long time to report and get specific about, but it is obvious that not much thought was given or not much work has been done in the user interface department. It is very clunky and inefficient and imprecise and non-adjustable.

Why can't I make fonts bigger? Everything is so tiny and hard to read if not close to monitor.

Why can't I put preview screen on the left? Why are things so "stuck" in place?

I am using a 1080p 52" TV with wireless k/b and mouse on this particular PC. Why is everything so tiny? I can't adjust anything it seems and it does not care what I set my screen text dpi too, it just does it's own thing. So from 5 feet away from a 1080p screen, some fonts are about impossible to read, and I have laser vision correction with 20/15 eyesight. The fonts are just tiny sometimes.

If a program is that rigid and doesn't allow any user adjustment as to how it is controlled, that is a problem. Not everyone is sitting with their nose 5 inches away from the monitor all the time. And not allowing fine tuning the adjustments with arrow keys is just inexcusable.

So it's not "just" the terrible editing performance, but that is the biggest problem.