Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
DVD burned from a 16:9 video, played on tv screen loses edges
MarkZwijsen [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 13, 2015 03:51 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, I created a video in 16:9 format and then burned it to DVD. Now when I play it on my DVD player that is connected to my tv by hdmi, the video is too big for the screen, a big part falls outside the screen. This happens even when I put everything inside the TV-safe area.

When I create a DVD from the same video clips in Pinnacle Studio, the whole image is displayed on the screen.

What PD settings do I need to change in order to create a DVD that can be played on my DVD player and screen? Regards, MarkZ
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
Hello, Mark!

When you render your video after editing, set the render quality to MPEG2, DVD SP or(if you want higher quality image and are prepared to sacrifice disc capacity) DVD HQ. This should ensure your image is displayed properly on your TV screen when you've burned it to disc.

Cheers!

Neil.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 11. 2015 06:47

Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hi, I created a video in 16:9 format and then burned it to DVD. Now when I play it on my DVD player that is connected to my tv by hdmi, the video is too big for the screen, a big part falls outside the screen. This happens even when I put everything inside the TV-safe area.

When I create a DVD from the same video clips in Pinnacle Studio, the whole image is displayed on the screen.

What PD settings do I need to change in order to create a DVD that can be played on my DVD player and screen?
You do know that most Television sets overscan the picture in both directions. The overscan is in the order of about 10%.

I do not know way Pinnacle Studio is able to produce a DVD that is not overscaned on the the TV.

As far as I know there are no setting in the Create Disk Module that allows you to reduce the amount of overscan that the TV does.

If you play that DVD on your computer, there should not be any overscan. the width will be exactly what you produce. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
More than likely your TV has an excessive amount of overscan. As Carl312 has pointed out it looks normal on your pc monitor assuming it is widescreen. Pinnacle Studio sets the aspect ratio from the first asset, pic or video by default but allows you to change it. More than likely your 16x9 video clip on your dvd was burned as 4x3 in PS. This normally gives black borders on the top and bottom but because of yout TV excessive overscan you don't see it.

You could get the same result with PD by setting the project to 4x3 with mixed clips as in PS. Send us a camera screen shot of your TV screen with the video of the same subject on PS and on PD so we can all confirm this. laughing

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 11. 2015 10:05

Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hello, MarkZwijsen!

Judging from comments by Carl312 and Tomasc, the problem may not be with your editing software or your DVD player, rather it seems the problem rests within your TV set itself. If you have a maintenance arrangement with a TV tech support firm, maybe they can make the suitable adjustments to your set so as to show "the picture, the whole picture and nothin' but the picture"(ha-ha).

Cheers!

Neil.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 12. 2015 06:33

MarkZwijsen [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 13, 2015 03:51 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Hi all contributors,

Good to find out that this is a live forum!

Well, I definitely did not configure my video as 3:4.

I add a photo of my television screen showing a still of the video. There should be 6 complete circles visible with some black space around it.

What I have also tried is first create an MP2 file and then create a DVD from this file with a standard PD menu in front of it. Same result (actually, the photo shows this last attempt).

So hopefully someone has yet another idea on the cause and solution?
[Thumb - 20151112_203249.jpg]
 Filename
20151112_203249.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
tv screen shot
 Filesize
1841 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
51 time(s)
Regards, MarkZ
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
MarkZwijsen - Thank you for posting that screenshot of your TV. It shows the excessive overscan as predicted. Try this: Place any 4x3 photo in front of the video on the timeline and change the aspect ratio of PD13 to 4x3 and create another video or dvd as 4x3.

The created 4x3 video should now display the 4x3 photo severely overscanned and the 16x9 video displayed more correctly. This also means that any commerical dvd you have, rent or borrow will have the same overscan problem.

The fix if you only want to create 16x9 video solely for this TV is to use 16x9 video but produce or create them as 4x3. To fix this for all your videos. 16x9, 4x3, commercia dvd, other people's video then you need to have your TV overscan fixed.

Neil has the best solution. Get a knowledgeable TV technician to make the adjustments. A different technician might balk and simply tell you to trade in that TV to buy a different TV because his services will cost more than what your TV is worth. It looks like a 50% overscan.

Let us know what you decide to do...

ps: This forum timed out on my reply do I am posting again.
Fenman
Senior Contributor Location: Cambridge, UK Joined: Nov 24, 2011 04:44 Messages: 731 Offline
[Post New]
Hi MarkZwijsen,

My TV has selectable overscan settings in it's display menu. You could check in that menu on yours.

Do you notice any overscan on normal broadcast programmes? Regards,
Mike

Home-build system:
Intel Core i5 Quad Core 3.3GHz, 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333MHz,
Asus Nvidia GT440 1GB, 2 x Western Digital WD10EARS 1TB, 1 x Seagate ST1000DM010 1TB,
Windows 7 Prof 64-bit, PD 9 Ultra 64, PD 13 Ultimate 64
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi, MarkZwijsen!

I think Mike(Fenman) may well be onto something there! If you have the operator's manual for your TV, read the relevant section(not sure under which heading it would fall) but dailing that, there is always that qualified service person.

Cheers!

Neil.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
MarkZwijsen,

Have you checked Zoom (Wide mode) setting on your TV remote. May be a button on the remote labeled Wide.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 15. 2015 12:44

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Fenman
Senior Contributor Location: Cambridge, UK Joined: Nov 24, 2011 04:44 Messages: 731 Offline
[Post New]
Doesn't look like MarkZwijsen is following this thread any longer . . . . . . Regards,
Mike

Home-build system:
Intel Core i5 Quad Core 3.3GHz, 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333MHz,
Asus Nvidia GT440 1GB, 2 x Western Digital WD10EARS 1TB, 1 x Seagate ST1000DM010 1TB,
Windows 7 Prof 64-bit, PD 9 Ultra 64, PD 13 Ultimate 64
Carl312
[Post New]
Quote: Doesn't look like MarkZwijsen is following this thread any longer . . . . . .
You may be correct, Maybe he did not set his email notice. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi, Mike & Carl!

My guess is that he's either sorted out his problem with his existing TV or splashed out and bought a new set.

Cheers!

Neil.
Carl312
[Post New]
Quote: Hi, Mike & Carl!

My guess is that he's either sorted out his problem with his existing TV or splashed out and bought a new set.

Cheers!

Neil.
Yeah, but he should come back and tell us what happened. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi, Carl!

Yeah, fair enough, he should've got back to us and let us know how he got on. There'd be a few who are curious to know his results.

Cheers!

Neil.