Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Boosting quiet voices
RSSinMS [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 11, 2010 12:44 Messages: 25 Offline
[Post New]
Hello, all. I'm working with a youth group on a holiday video project and I'm having issues with picking up some of the voices in the final product. The kids are various ages, from children to teens. As you would guess, their speaking volumes are all over the place. Do any of you have a suggestion for how I might automate the process of boosting those quiet voices in my project? Right now, I'm going through bit by bit, manually boosting the audio at the quiet parts in the timeline. That's not a huge problem, but the resulting audio is not good, with the constant ups and downs in audio level. Thanks in advance for any advice!
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Fixing bad audio after the fact is very hard to do.

The best way is to have a wireless handheld microphone that is handed to each person that is speaking.

Wireless Handheld microphones do not have to be that expensive, Check into Wireless Microphones.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 06. 2015 22:23

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
Hello, RSSinMS!

The problem doesn't really rest with the Power Director software - any version. It rests with your camera! Most cameras have an inbuilt microphone(stereo models have the paired microphones) sitting just under the lens. But a peculiar thing I've noticed in several models, both tape-based and SD Card-based, is that they always seem to pick up the sound from behind the camera better than what's in front of it.undecided That can be annoying! Some older monaural Video-8 cameras have a socket to plug in an external microphone but, outside professional equipment, I'm yet to see any hobbyist cameras with this facility. A good stereo microphone that gives reasonable separation(left & right channel pick-up) that can plug into a socket on an SD card-based hobbyist camera would certainly come in handy. The fact that, barring the professional gear, cam-corders in general use don't have this socket for external microphones, sort of puts paid to Carl's suggestion of a wireless microphone as you would still have the problem of how or where to connect the microphone's receiver to the camera.

Cheers!

Neil.
TonyL [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Nr. Coventry, UK Joined: Oct 10, 2015 04:07 Messages: 46 Offline
[Post New]
I would use Audacity. See this page http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/3-audacity-tips-enhance-recorded-interview/

It would mean either exporting the audio from PD, then processing it in Audacity OR just open the video clip in Audacity (it accepts a number of formats) and process the audio, then bring the new audio back into PD to replace existing. But it's not easy or perfect. You need to be wise before doing something like your original recording. That's why film & TV crews have a sound person with eqpt. separate from the camera.

The risk you run is having the audio get out of sync.

TonyL

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 07. 2015 03:53

Self build Xeon W3690, 12GB RAM, 850EVO SSD, Asus 2GB GTX960, Win10H 64bit, PD14
iMac 27" Retina 5K i5, 24GB RAM, Radeon M295X 4GB, Bootcamp Win10H 64bit
RSSinMS [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you all for your suggestions. I agree, the issue is not with PD14, it's a mechanical issue on the creation end. We're actually using an external shotgun mic connected to our camcorder's 3.5mm port. I had just hoped there was a magic button solution that you guys would reveal! lol

Seriously, we may have to bite the bullet and put our mic on a boom pole.

On an unrelated closing note...I'm a PD user since the PD8 days. The current version seems to be the most stable yet. Good work Cyberlink! Reggie
Alain II [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jan 20, 2015 01:34 Messages: 136 Offline
[Post New]
In AudioDirector 6 (check the tutorial online) they seem to resolve this questions.

Alain II
RSSinMS [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks, Alain II. I'll check that out.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 07. 2015 10:24

Reggie