Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Simple way to simulate double vision?
V1v10 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 17, 2015 20:46 Messages: 25 Offline
[Post New]
Strange idea, but I need to simulate double vision with a clip. I've tried laying it down on two tracks, offsetting one, and adjusting opacity, but that doesn't seem to do the trick. I don't see an effect that might do it. Anyone have any ideas?
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
I had to check the medical definition of "double-vision" to assertain exactly what you were after. I also looked up "double-vision" images to see what they looked like.
Links
Medical: NHS

I tried Gaussain Blur, and that certaily didn't match up. I would have thought the method you've described was correct - it was what I would have done.
Open PDR14
Place the sample video in Track 1 & Track 2 so T2 is the above T1.
T2 sample video selected
Select Modify
Grid Lines set to 8x8
Drop the video down half a square using click & drag - the lower part of the video will now be off screen
Select Properties/Object settings/Opacity
Adjust to 50%.
From what I see it looks like the "double vision" you're after.
Perhaps other editors have different and interesting suggestions.
Dafydd

[Thumb - SD-2013-02-1767.png]
 Filename
SD-2013-02-1767.png
[Disk]
 Description
double vision
 Filesize
216 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
220 time(s)

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Oct 18. 2015 13:07

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi V1v10 -

I don't have any interesting or different idea, because I would have done it just as you and Dafydd have.

In the FX room, there's no "double-vision" effect, but there is one called Delay which works quite well for staggered movement. Maybe that will suit your needs.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
V1v10 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Huh. Yours looks much better than mine. Thanks much for trying it out and providing such a good template. I'll try again and see what I missed. (At least I was on the right track.)

And I'll check out delay as well.
V1v10 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I must be particularly dense today. I replicated what I thought I originally did (which is what Dafydd kindly tried out) and while it looks correct in the modify dialogue (dv1), back in the movie (dv2), the effect doesn't show. Doesn't come through in a quick render either. I must be doing something very basic wrong here.

[Thumb - dv2.JPG]
 Filename
dv2.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
165 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
173 time(s)
[Thumb - dv1.JPG]
 Filename
dv1.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
103 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
185 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 18. 2015 20:33

V1v10 [Avatar]
[Post New]
OK, I have kept tinkering with it and I think I've got it. Part of the problem is getting the opacity set correctly for the two clips, and this depends a lot on individual detail and what it's up against. Moving it around in both tracks in order to highlight or enhance the thing you want doubled takes some tinkering to get right, but then it works OK.In order to get rid of the lines at edge of frame resulting from the offset, I tried masking, but wasn't satisfied with the result. Instead, I settled on putting a keyframe into each clip and scaling them up so the edges fall outside the screen. So, mine move the opacity and scale in tandem over 9 seconds getting into the clip. I then get a pretty nice, by which I mean sickening, and decently accurate depiction of double vision running down this mountain trail (something I unfortunately have experienced, and want to share with my audience.)

It's not perfect, but it definitely works to get the idea across.

[Thumb - dvfinal.JPG]
 Filename
dvfinal.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
52 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
166 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 18. 2015 21:04

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Excellent followup and I'm glad you worked out what you wanted. Thanks for sharing.
Dafydd