Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Screen recorder stops when UAC prompt appears
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I hadn't noticed this before, but if I'm trying to record a program installation, the Screen Recorder stops recording as soon as the UAC (User Account Control) warning appears. When I click OK to accept, the screen recorder shows this message:

This happens if I double-click on the installer of the program that I'm trying to record, and also if I right-click the installer and choose Run as Administrator. The screen recorder also stops at the UAC prompt if I run it as an Admin first, so I haven't found a way to keep it running past that point.

For now, I guess I'll just record the next steps in a separate video unless someone else has figured out a way to keep the recording going.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 01. 2015 23:39

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi optodata,
I've passed the issue onto CyberLink for them to check out.
Dafydd
RobAC [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Mar 09, 2013 18:20 Messages: 406 Offline
[Post New]
Curious, does this work when you disable the UAC completely?

One of the first things I do whenever I upgrade OS is to turn off the UAC - I personally find it pretty much useless since I already have other security measures in place. It has a tendency of interrupting and breaking things when I am testing and tweaking. (Of course people should be very cautious when doing this.) PD 14 Ultimate Suite / Win10 Pro x64
1. Gigabyte Brix PRO / i7-4770R Intel Iris Pro 5200 / 16 GB / 1 TB SSD
2. Lenovo X230T / 8GB / Intel HD4000 + ViDock 4 Plus & ASUS Nvidia 660 Ti / Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIZw3GPwKMo&feature=youtu.be
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Rob! That's an interesting idea. Since I'm running an Admin user account I do leave it on as a security precaution in addition to the usual anti-malware apps.

Normally it's only a minor annoyance but I think many people would see it when installing a new program, so ideally I'd want to capture the prompt when recording a how-to-video.

I know it's a special event and Windows isolates the screen from everything else to prevent any interaction other than a mouse click or touch, and I guess I was expecting the screen recorder to at least keep running but if it's suddenly locked out of accessing the screen buffer, maybe it's doing the right thing by ending the recording rather than just crashing.

Unfortunately, it then displays a window that it's done and opens up Windows/File Explorer in the middle of the screen I'm trying to record. Then there's that 3 second delay once I hit F9 to restart - meanwhile the installation I'm trying to capture is proceeding without me

When I do my next recording session, I turn off the UAC prompt and see how it goes. I'm thinking it'll work smoothly like you suggested.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°