Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Strange "Group objects" behaviour
Andrej Svajger [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 11, 2015 18:07 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

had (newbie) problems with the proper editing workflow (**) that i somehow resolved by grouping objects and now i'm facing the reality, that when i group objects (clip and text), i cannot use the "clip goto" function in preview window anymore. When i have a group of objects in my project, selecting the clip i want to work with and entering the time (to position the cursor within the clip) always puts the cursor into the first clip of the project. So, now i have to recalculate times for all clips within the project and use the "cumulative timeframe" of the project. Is this intended to work this way?

Thanks for help or suggestions

**I have several clips and texts in my project and some (parts of) clips have to be sped up. When i added text to the "clip D" and modified speed in clips A and C(positioned before the clip D), texts remained in unaltered postions while position in the video track changed (due to altering the speed of some parts of the video). By grouping objects (video+text), this was overcome. Asus P8Z68m PRO, i7 2600@3.4, Gigabyte 970GTX 4GB, 16GB, W7 x64, DELL 27", PD 16 Ultimate
Andrej Svajger [Avatar]
[Post New]
Ok, let me rephrase the question.

By using the "Group objects" feature in a project (consisting of several video clips), i'm losing the ability to position cursor within individual clips based on "time value" entered. When there's no grouping involved, selecting a clip and entering the time (eg. 00:01:23:00), the cursor is positioned within the selected clip (eg. 1:23 of the selected clip). If i have used a "Group objects" functionality (not on all video clips), the position is based on whole movie (eg. 1:23 of the whole movie, that is 1:23 of the first clip) not on the selected clip (which is not grouped with other clips). I'm sure that i'm not the first one to encounter this "feature".
Is there a way to overcome this bug?

Again, thank you for your help.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 23. 2015 16:57

Asus P8Z68m PRO, i7 2600@3.4, Gigabyte 970GTX 4GB, 16GB, W7 x64, DELL 27", PD 16 Ultimate
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Andrej. Welcome to the forum!

You've found some interesting behaviour, alright. I see the most of the same behaviour here, and one thing I'd like to add is that single, ungrouped clips will also show the "whole movie" time when PD is in Movie mode, but the time will show the relative position of the individual clip when it's set to Clip mode.

As you mentioned, I see that all grouped clips are always referenced from the start of the timeline, but unlike what you've written, I can enter any movie time from anywhere on the timeline and the scrubber jumps to the correct spot, even if it's in the grouped clips. Are you saying that whenever you do that, your cursor always jumps to the first clip in the timeline?

I see the same behaviour in PD12 and PD14, so this is how things have been and upgrading won't solve your issue; so we'd want to look at some changes in your workflow to help you accomplish what you want without losing the individuality of these clips.

The most obvious choice is to ungroup them if you're finished with the kinds of edits that made you group them together in the first place. You can regroup and ungroup as needed.

Another approach would be to move the grouped clips to lower tracks on the timeline but keep them in the same time locations. You could ungroup them there then click on the padlock icon at the far left of those tracks to lock them in place so edits on other tracks won't affect them.

Do you think either of those work-arounds will help with the remaining editing you need to do?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 25. 2015 02:02

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
Andrej Svajger [Avatar]
[Post New]
First of all, thanks for the answer.

Regarding the positioning, it behaves the same, no matter the mode. And i know that my workflow is no good, i'll try your suggestions during the weekend, although it will require going through entire movie once more. Will post after trying it out.

Again, thanks for your time, i'll need some more help soon. Asus P8Z68m PRO, i7 2600@3.4, Gigabyte 970GTX 4GB, 16GB, W7 x64, DELL 27", PD 16 Ultimate