Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Is Cuda working???
LarrySH [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 27, 2008 18:11 Messages: 38 Offline
[Post New]
I have downloaded and installed the latest Power Director 7 Ultimate update, using compatible nVida hardware, but do not see any evidence of Cuda running.

I do not see any mention of Cuda in the Help System and searching for it in any of the PD7 menus / Preferences / or other settings does not give any indication it is present or running.

Is there any way to be sure that Cuda is present and running?

Thanks for any information,

Larry
LarrySH [Avatar]
[Post New]
I have updated my nVidia driver for my video card and have now located a Prefence setting to enable to Cuda accelerator.

I'm very pleased to locate this, and wish that Cyberlink had provided some instructions / guidabce regarding the driver and setting.

I wonder if Cyberlink will eventually publish some Help information to make this easier for others, and avoid the problem I encountered?

Larry
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Larry,

Please post what your card is and the link to the driver you downloaded?

Then what options you decided upon?

Now that would help members here.

Dafydd
LarrySH [Avatar]
[Post New]
Very glad to help!

My card is an 8800 Geforce but apparently nVidia offers a so-called Unified Driver for all Cuda compliant cards. The driver is the latest from nVidia, called:

178.24_geforce_winvista_32bit_english_whql.exe.

It (and other nVidia drivers) can be found at:

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Once installed, the Power Director program can be started, the Preferences chosen under the Edit Menu, and the box checked to enable CUDA GPU Acceleration.

The very disappointing news I have discovered is that the new Cuda upgrade only offers acceleration for certain, non-useful filters. I can't think of a time when I ever deliberately wanted to blur an image or make a kaleidiscope.

I would have REALLY appreciated a way to speed up rendering..........!!!

Hope these instructions prove useful to others.

Sony, Nero, and other professional NLE vendors provide Release Notes to give the user a hint of how to install these updates. Maybe someday Cyberlink will get a clue..... Their ReadMe is old and unrelated to this update entirely.

Larry
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks Larry,

I've just posted some extra info you may find interesting.
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/15/4356.page#17354

Dafydd
LarrySH [Avatar]
[Post New]
Excellent summary and very informative. Thanks for posting it Dafydd!