Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How do I adjust the scrolling speed of a long title text?
DavidHarrison
Newbie Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada Joined: Jul 30, 2015 11:48 Messages: 23 Offline
[Post New]
Hello. I have a longish title text (the partial words of a wedding ceremony cut up into clips). I have a voice recording of the wedding officiant that lasts a fixed amount of time. I am using the text motion effect to scroll the text upwards against an image of the blank script document that she used at the ceremony. The text must start to scroll and finish scrolling in synchronism to the spoken word. So the display duration is also fixed. But there is no apparent way to adjust the scrolling speed independently of the display duration.

Can this be done, if so how? Without any messing about, the scroll speed is far too fast.

I am currently messing about adding blank lines in the text to lengthen its scroll time but this is incredibly crude and messy. There must be a better way, surely?

Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks. Editing Computer: Intel I7-3770K 3.50GHz, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 1866MHz
C Drive : 250GB SSD, D Drive: 1TB 7200rpm HD, Video Card : Asus GeForce GTX970 4GB DDR5
Monitor: Asus MX279 27" 1920x1080HD
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
One thing that comes to mind is to lengthen or shorten the duration of the title for a finer adjustment.
Richmond Dan
Senior Contributor Location: Richmond, VA Joined: Aug 07, 2014 17:17 Messages: 673 Offline
[Post New]
Audacity is a free open-source audio editing program that lets you adjust the speed of the audio without changing the pitch (no Donald Duck). Don't know if that would help.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 16. 2015 17:09

Regards,
Dan
Power Director 21-Ultimate
v 21.0.3111.0
XPS-8940, Win-10 64-bit,
Intel Core i9-10900 processor
(10 core, 20M Cache),
32GB DDR4 RAM, 2TB M.2 PCIe NVME SSD, 2TB 7200 RPM SATA HDD,
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
DavidHarrison
Newbie Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada Joined: Jul 30, 2015 11:48 Messages: 23 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Audacity is a free open-source audio editing program that lets you adjust the speed of the audio without changing the pitch (no Donald Duck). Don't know if that woul help.

Actually I am already very experienced with using the Audacity audio editor. The length of the audio is not the issue here. Indeed, I should not have to alter my audio in any way just to suit the PowerDirector 13's deficiencies in not providing text motion speed controls independent from its duration!

As my original post said, I want to have a fixed display duration for the text i.e. it's duration property, and adjust the motion speed independently of that. I don't see a way that can be done in PD 13.

I have submitted a ticket to Cyberlink requesting such a feature. Editing Computer: Intel I7-3770K 3.50GHz, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 1866MHz
C Drive : 250GB SSD, D Drive: 1TB 7200rpm HD, Video Card : Asus GeForce GTX970 4GB DDR5
DavidHarrison
[Post New]
Quote: One thing that comes to mind is to lengthen or shorten the duration of the title for a finer adjustment.

Yeah, but since it is too fast, I need to slow it down, but to do that means making its duration so long that it extends way past the required display time!

Thanks anyway. Editing Computer: Intel I7-3770K 3.50GHz, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 1866MHz
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Hi David

This will work, but I am not sure if it is exactly what you want.

Put just your scrolling text clip into the timeline of a new project, produce it as an MP4. Then import it to your project and use power tools to play it in slow motion at a speed that suits you. Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi David -

It sounds like you've tried most of the options suggested in this tutorial...

You're right - the only ways to control the scroll speed are (1) changing the duration or (2) inserting blank lines

Questions: How many lines of text are there? and what's the duration of the spoken text?

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
DavidHarrison
[Post New]
Quote: Hi David

This will work, but I am not sure if it is exactly what you want.

Put just your scrolling text clip into the timeline of a new project, produce it as an MP4. Then import it to your project and use power tools to play it in slow motion at a speed that suits you.

Yeap, I'd even thought of that too. Sounds feasible, although I haven't tried it yet. Seems a very clutsy approach to the solution though. It seems to me that Cyberlink have completely dropped the ball with scrolling text, or indeed, text motion effects in general.

They badly need to decouple the motion speed or duration from the display duration. I hope they understand that. Like I said earlier, I have submitted a feature request ticket to them about this. I'm waiting to hear their reply.

Thanks for your suggestion though. Editing Computer: Intel I7-3770K 3.50GHz, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 1866MHz
RobAC [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Mar 09, 2013 18:20 Messages: 406 Offline
[Post New]
In the past I have used the method that Shadowman mentions and also the ones in Tony's excellent video.

The way that works for me is to break up the text (as shown in the toot) instead of using one long continuous text file.

That way I can place the right script at the exact start / stop points in the timeline to match the speech in the video. To fine tune the speed I would use the "Duration" tab setting for each text clip; or else just drag the clip out longer to slow it down or shorten it to speed it up from the timeline. (But you already know this, just a heads up for others who are following along and run into this exact issue.) PD 14 Ultimate Suite / Win10 Pro x64
1. Gigabyte Brix PRO / i7-4770R Intel Iris Pro 5200 / 16 GB / 1 TB SSD
2. Lenovo X230T / 8GB / Intel HD4000 + ViDock 4 Plus & ASUS Nvidia 660 Ti / Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIZw3GPwKMo&feature=youtu.be
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Hi David

In the text room there is a folder called New Blue. New Blue is a text editor which is a bit more than basic.

If you open New Blue and drag it down to the timeline to open the editor, then go to LIBRARY - EFFECTS - ROLL & CRAWL. Here you will find several options for scrolling including fast, medium, slow and sitcom. One of these may be closer to what you want Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
DavidHarrison
[Post New]
Quote: Hi DavidIn the text room there is a folder called New Blue. New Blue is a text editor which is a bit more than basic.If you open New Blue and drag it down to the timeline to open the editor, then go to LIBRARY - EFFECTS - ROLL & CRAWL. Here you will find several options for scrolling including fast, medium, slow and sitcom. One of these may be closer to what you want

So I tried both methods. i.e.

1) Using PD13 directly using a combination of splitting the scrolling text into smaller segments, adding additional line breaks and increasing the line spacing to adjust scroll speed. Eventually I got the scrolling text to sync. with my audio narration. However, using extra line breaks and messing with the line spacing means you have to alter the appearance of your text just to adjust its scroll speed. That is a load of nonsense to me!! The text appearance and the text scrolling speed should be completely decoupled from each other!

2) Using the New Blue Advanced Titler. Yes this has the required variable scroll speed functionality but is full of its own idiosyncrasies and is not well integrated with either PD13 or the Windows File system, in my opinion.

i) Its duration is not linked to that of the the title in PD13. If you change the duration in PD3, then re-open the New Blue Title editor, the new duration is not set. You have to set it manually by typing in a text box (that does not have intuitive input formatting, BTW).

ii) If you set fade in/fade out transitions in PD13, these are not respected in the New Blue Titler. You have to set title transitions inside the New Blue Title editor instead and you migh as well remove them from PD13 because they do not work with the New Blue Title.

iii) If you save the New Blue Title as a New Blue project (file extension .nbtitle)and navigate to some location on your disc, that location is not remembered the next time you want to save it. You have to navigate all the way through your folder hierarchy to find the same file again. What a pain!

The New Blue Title editor provided for free with PD13 is a legacy version that has good title functionality, but is definitely not a polished product!

What cyberlink need to do is to not rely on a third party product that has dubious integration issues, but instead implement their own built in advanced titler that can match or exceed the functionality of the New Blue one.

Just my 2 (well maybe 25) cents worth!

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Aug 17. 2015 19:21

Editing Computer: Intel I7-3770K 3.50GHz, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 1866MHz
Myk
Senior Member Location: The Hartland of Michigan Joined: Feb 05, 2015 16:09 Messages: 205 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:

Questions: How many lines of text are there? and what's the duration of the spoken text?

Cheers - Tony

This will be the deciding factor. The anount of text. The more text there is, the faster it must run to make it through the time you have to run it. .
Never, under any circumstances, combine a laxative and sleeping pill on the same night.

PowerSpec G310
ASRock Extreme 6 A85X
AMD A10 6800K Quad Core Processor 4.1GHz
16GB DDR3-1600 RAM
EVGA GTX960 Super OC GPU
Windows 7 Pro