Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Where did my file go? Program crashing?
Laura [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 03, 2008 23:55 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
I just spent HOURS on a 3 minute movie. (Don't laugh - I'm new!)

The stupid program is often crashing on me. "PD has stopped working..." SO...I've been saving often, even rebooting my computer.

I was all done. I had just saved about 2 minutes before (by hitting the little disk icon.) Before preparing to export the file into something usable, I hit the 'save' button again. It crashed. I pulled up the program again (like several times before) and I tried pulling it up under 'recent files'. I clicked on the file - and it told me file not found! I look in my folder, and sure enough, it wasn't there!

I did a search on my computer, and found a file FileName.pds.bak I tried to pull it up, and it was completely blank.

I'm heartbroken! Has anyone have this happen to them? Is there any way to get my hard work back? This was my 2nd time finishing it, since the first time I was almost done, and it crashed, and I hadn't saved.

I'm still using the trial version, but was all prepared to purchase the full version. However, if this is going to happen, I may have to look for another program. This bums me out, because in spite of the difficulties, I am liking the ease of use of this program!

Yes, my computer has the proper system requirements.

So...where's my file? and what about the program crashing?

Laura[i]
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Laura,

The default file location is found by :-

Directors Chair/Edit/Preferences/Export Directory will give you the default export location (as will Alt-C). You can change this if you want to a directory of your choice.

If you have a .pds.bak file produced by PD, rename it by removing the .bak to xxxxx.pds and this "should" be OK to open in PD unless there is a problem with it.

Cheers
Adrian Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Laura,

The instructions given to you by Adrian should be followed.

Now, your situation is pretty common. All video editors lose work but for the saving. I know this is a hard lesson and we have all been through it. Please select, File > Save Project as and numerically number a new saved file regularly. You need to value your work to have a "fall back" besides relying on the *.bak file.

Remember to rename the *.bak file to XXXX.pds and then open (might work).

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 10. 2008 05:58

Laura [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: You need to value your work to have a "fall back" besides relying on the *.bak file.

Dafydd

I renamed my *.bak file, and it opened - with my finished work! WHEW!

However, as I said, I *was* saving my work, *not* relying on the *.bak file - but MY WHOLE FILE DISAPPEARED! And I know it had been saving because I had closed out the program several times (or got booted out), and had to go to my file over and over. This last time, however, it just went *poof* and disappeared into obliteren! I just don't understand that!

Even though losing work may be common, is it common for this program to crash several times in a couple of hours?

Thanks for the help, at least I got my work back. Maybe I'll try another project - and save every 5 minutes with a sequential number (*1.pds, *2.pds, etc.) It seems excessive, but I just don't know what else I can do. If one of those files disappear, at least I *should* have another to fall back on!

Discouraged,
Laura
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Laura,
Glad you got your stuff back.

Video editing is very resource intensive. Most video editors go to some lengths to make sure that their hardware/software systems are running efficiently, latest drivers installed, other programs shut down, hard drives defragged, registry entries cleaned up, temporay files removed etc etc which seems like a lot of effort but does make the system more stable.

Crashes and conflicts still happen particularly after things like auto updates for varied programs are run and installed and often the first main thing is to uninstall and reinstall PD - it seems to reset everything within the 'new' environment.

Keep trying.

Cheers
Adrian Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
Laura [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: the first main thing is to uninstall and reinstall PD - it seems to reset everything within the 'new' environment.

Thanks, Adrian. I'm just terribly frustrated. It's always something that seems to go wrong.

OK, so if I uninstall/reinstall, is it going to mess up since I'm still on the 30 day trial for it? I don't want to go ahead and purchase it until I've done a few more projects. I have 24 more days left on my trial.

Thanks once again,
Laura
vn800rider
[Post New]
hi Laura,

Wouldn't like to give a definitive answer, don't really know, I'm sure things have moved on since I used a trial. Maybe some other members might reply to this.

Might be worth searching the forum about info on the trial version?

If not Customer Support should have an answer.
Cheers
Confucius
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Should have no affect - the days left will still show the same.

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 10. 2008 12:44