Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Service: RichVideo64.exe (SOLVED)
jcardana
Senior Contributor Location: USA-NM Joined: Aug 04, 2014 10:11 Messages: 650 Offline
[Post New]
Since I have PD13 and there's no other closer forum, I'll post my question here...

Does anyone know anything about a software service from Cyberlink called RichVideo64.exe?

It's running from the CyberLink\Shared Files folder.

I'm not using PD right now, so why is it running?

Thank you for your time,

Joe

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 26. 2015 00:44

CyberPowerPC | Win7HP-64 | AMD FX-8320 3.5 Ghz | 8GB Mem | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB | WEI 5.9

My Video Editing Computer
| My DirectX Diagnostics

PowerDirector 15.0.2820.0 | PhotoDirector 7.0.7504.0 | AudioDirector 6.0.5902.0 | ColorDirector 4.0.4627.0 | Power2Go 9.0.2602.0

Sutter Hill SDA Church
| Anadrac_Organ_Works | My_Youtube_Channel
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
In PowerDirector it is used to generate scene information in a continuous avi video file. They call it RichVideo Information. You can safely end the process with no ill effect when you are finished with PD13 to gain a bit of memory. Like many software, part of it installs during windows startup.

See this link for a different explanation: http://file.net/process/richvideo64.exe.html . I do recall in this forum somewhere that if RichVideo isn't running in PowerDirector then you can't generate scenes based on changes in brighness in a video. I don't do that anyway with avchd.
jcardana
Senior Contributor Location: USA-NM Joined: Aug 04, 2014 10:11 Messages: 650 Offline
[Post New]
I don't mind it running when I'm using PD, but I expect it to showdown and unload without PD.

I tried creating a "Task" to run a .bat file that uses the TaskKill command but I get Access Denied. I'll keep tinkering. CyberPowerPC | Win7HP-64 | AMD FX-8320 3.5 Ghz | 8GB Mem | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB | WEI 5.9

| My DirectX Diagnostics

PowerDirector 15.0.2820.0 | PhotoDirector 7.0.7504.0 | AudioDirector 6.0.5902.0 | ColorDirector 4.0.4627.0 | Power2Go 9.0.2602.0

Sutter Hill SDA Church
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
It is totally unnecessary to do what you are trying to do. Your bat file did not work probably because you didn't give it administrator priviledges. The more programs you install, the more programs will be loaded during windows bootup I see tons of programs loaded into memory hogging valuable ram but not running. Others run once such as flash, Quicktime, other program updaters, etc. and then stay stopped but still loaded into available ram. Others run all the time until uninstalled like lightscribe that no one uses anymore and of course, windows update.

Any brand new computer I buy is always fast. I test and document the startup and shutdown times. The startup slows down as more programs are installed even if you are not using it. I find that a good answer for me is to max out the ram for the os. It does help.

There are utilities out there such as 'End IT All' for earlier versions of windows. For later versions of window, try running msconfig.exe from a command prompt. In the General tab choose Selective startup. In the startup tab uncheck all the apps you don't want automatically loaded when windows start. In the Services tab, uncheck all the apps that you don't want to automatically run. Example of things that you might not running all the time are program updaters including those from Cyberlink because you read the forums anyway and know when to update, etc.

Maintain 2 pc. One filled with apps that I tried or used occasionally which is very slow in startup and the other is kept lean and trim for video editing. There is no one size fits all tuning for every pc.

I once installed every font (thousands) from a CD at my wife's insistance to a windows 3.1 pc with 24 meg. of sd ram. The computer was so slow that it was unuseable until I uninstalled all of them leaveing only the original 16 fonts in the initial install of windows. Lesson learned... Don't install what you don't need...

Let us know if this helps...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 24. 2015 19:54

jcardana
[Post New]
Quote: It is totally unnecessary to do what you are trying to do. Your bat file did not work probably because you didn't give it administrator priviledges.
Yeah, I learned that Win7 doesn't allow .bat files to run with Admin Priv. I was trying to get Task Scheduler to detect when PD13 shutdown, and then run the bat which would then shutdown RichVideo64 but I couldn't find in any logs where it listed the start and stop of PD13. Oh Well.

Quote: The more programs you install, the more programs will be loaded during windows bootup I see tons of programs loaded into memory hogging valuable ram but not running. Others run once such as flash, Quicktime, other program updaters, etc. and then stay stopped but still loaded into available ram. Others run all the time until uninstalled like lightscribe that no one uses anymore and of course, windows update.
I'm fully aware. I wish MS didn't remove the ability to config services differently for different Login Profiles.

Quote: ...For later versions of window, try running msconfig.exe from a command prompt. In the General tab choose Selective startup. In the startup tab uncheck all the apps you don't want automatically loaded when windows start. In the Services tab, uncheck all the apps that you don't want to automatically run. Example of things that you might not running all the time are program updaters including those from Cyberlink because you read the forums anyway and know when to update, etc.
My biggest pet-peve is those darn updaters too. Toollbars... Don't get me started on toolbars.

Quote: I once installed every font (thousands) from a CD at my wife's insistance to a windows 3.1 pc with 24 meg. of sd ram. The computer was so slow that it was unuseable until I uninstalled all of them leaveing only the original 16 fonts in the initial install of windows. Lesson learned... Don't install what you don't need...
Yeah, I'm quilty too. Currently have 534 fonts and it takes 30seconds from login to desktop. I should probably clean up what I haven't used in the past year.

Quote: Let us know if this helps...
It will be helpful to someone else who didn't know. There's nothing here I didn't already know. I'm trying to get my own little business going conducting Computer/Windows Maintainence/Repair.

So, please don't consider your time wasted. I always need refreshers.

Joe
[Thumb - ProcessExplorerSS.png]
 Filename
ProcessExplorerSS.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
156 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
245 time(s)
CyberPowerPC | Win7HP-64 | AMD FX-8320 3.5 Ghz | 8GB Mem | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB | WEI 5.9

| My DirectX Diagnostics

Sutter Hill SDA Church
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
I agree with tomasc, not sure why you would want to stop the service, but that's not for me to judge. Since the RichVideo64 is a net service framework, what one could do with a tiny bit of scripting is simply check if the service is running and stop it or stop it when PD13.exe is not running.

C:\Windows\system32>sc query "RichVideo64" | find "RUNNING"
STATE : 4 RUNNING

C:\Windows\system32>net stop RichVideo64
The Cyberlink RichVideo64 Service(CRVS) service is stopping.
The Cyberlink RichVideo64 Service(CRVS) service was stopped successfully.

C:\Windows\system32>sc query "RichVideo64"
SERVICE_NAME: RichVideo64 TYPE : 10 WIN32_OWN_PROCESS
STATE : 1 STOPPED
WIN32_EXIT_CODE : 0 (0x0)
SERVICE_EXIT_CODE : 0 (0x0)
CHECKPOINT : 0x0
WAIT_HINT : 0x0

C:\Windows\system32>

If you are still pursuing the ability to stop the service, there are many options to make a bat file run with elevated permissions if that's still a hiccup.

Jeff
jcardana
[Post New]
Quote: I agree with tomasc, not sure why you would want to stop the service, but that's not for me to judge.
It's a valid question... Does RichVideo64 get used by any other programs? I use MPC-HC and sometimes MediaPlayer. I just don't see the point of it taking up 8MB of memory when I'm not using PD13. Does anyone leave the windshield wipers going all the time?

Quote: If you are still pursuing the ability to stop the service...
Only if it's only used with PD. CyberPowerPC | Win7HP-64 | AMD FX-8320 3.5 Ghz | 8GB Mem | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB | WEI 5.9

| My DirectX Diagnostics

Sutter Hill SDA Church
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote: I agree with tomasc, not sure why you would want to stop the service, but that's not for me to judge.
It's a valid question... Does RichVideo64 get used by any other programs? I use MPC-HC and sometimes MediaPlayer. I just don't see the point of it taking up 8MB of memory when I'm not using PD13. Does anyone leave the windshield wipers going all the time?

Quote: If you are still pursuing the ability to stop the service...
Only if it's only used with PD.

I know PowerProducer uses it, ColorDirector as a standalone product uses it, AudioDirector as a standalone product will use the 32bit RichVideo version. I'd seriously doubt any non CL product would require it. Pretty odd for a player or other piece of non CL software to require something installed with a CL purchased product.

Sorry, I don't really get the reference to windshield wipers. For a auto analogy, it's probably more like do you find it convenient for the station presets on the radio staying the way you've configured them or simply clear every time you turn the car off?

My RichVideo64 uses 1.7MB of RAM, not 8MB, if I was worried about the loss of 1.7 or 8MB of RAM and that would make or break some other app, I'd simply increase my RAM. If 1.7 or 8MB makes the difference, too marginal to work effectively anyhow.

Jeff
jcardana
[Post New]
OK... If it's raining I use my windshield wipers... if it's not raining, I turn them off. No point in using them if it's not raining, right? So if RichVideo64 is only used by CyberLink software, I expect it to be removed from memory when I'm not using a CL program.

I haven't looked at the memory usage after a restart. but right now, it's reading 7,368KB Working and 3,248 Private (From Process Explorer). Task Manager states 20,564K.

My questions have been answer and I thank you all for your time. CyberPowerPC | Win7HP-64 | AMD FX-8320 3.5 Ghz | 8GB Mem | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB | WEI 5.9

| My DirectX Diagnostics

Sutter Hill SDA Church
glowx231 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 19, 2015 12:06 Messages: 32 Offline
[Post New]
Forget the batch file.

Got to Start > Msconfig > Services Tab > Check 'Hide all Ms services' > Uncheck Cyberlink RichVideo64 > Ok.

Reboot.

Now start the service only when plan to use Cyberlink
jcardana
[Post New]
By doing that, I still have to shutdown RichVideo64 manually.

Here's what I've done...

I created two Tasks...

One starts at login and the other upon the startup event of RichVideo64 which execute a utility I created with VB called RV64SD.

This utility monitors both RichVideo64 and PDR13 executables. If the RichVideo64 is running but not PDR13, it shuts down RichVideo64 and then itself. CyberPowerPC | Win7HP-64 | AMD FX-8320 3.5 Ghz | 8GB Mem | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB | WEI 5.9

| My DirectX Diagnostics

Sutter Hill SDA Church
Marko80 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 24, 2020 15:49 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
This service is very suspicious. It can only be 2 things:

(a) Sloppy programming. A service that wastes computer RAM even when not needed, and adds extra load on computer startup sounds like really bad programming practice. Instead, they should have made it a library. A DLL is loaded once at the app startup and automatically unloaded when the app shuts down. That's exactly what the users expect and want.

(b) Maybe it's actually spyware. Services are often little TCP/IP clients/servers. They can be used for any purpose, including scanning user keyboard events (to extract usernames and passwords) or even taking control over user's computer from a remote location.

So, either they are bad programmers, or evil programmers. Which of the two is it? I feel very unconfortable using internet banking or other sensitive apps while this software is running. So I went to Services -> Cyberlink RichVideo64 Service -> Disable.

There is no reason for that to be a service. Cyberlink, if you're not one of those corporations that spy on their users, and steal their most private data, then convert that thing from unnecessary service to a very useful library.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 08. 2020 10:42

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Take a look at this post if you want the people at Cyberlink to see your rant.
Marko80 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 24, 2020 15:49 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Take a look at this post if you want the people at Cyberlink to see your rant.

Optodata, thank you.

I'll send them my feedback, that's for sure. Our entire universe works on the principle of feedback.