Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How to avoid trailing?
RonnieDP
Member Location: Durban. S Africa Joined: Nov 05, 2009 13:14 Messages: 75 Offline
[Post New]
I use PD11, and have found that when playing a video file back on my PC, trailing is minimised and hardly noticeable if it is produced using the H.264 option. However, MP4 leaves a lot of trailing. My camera is a Panasonic X900M

Also a Std DVD when played on my PC/laptop (using VLC player) leaves a lot of trailing, but there is no trailing when played via my DVD player connected to an HD TV.

OK, so I can keep producing using H.264 for video files, and only play DVDs via a DVD player to TV, but would still be interested to know why this happens, and can it be avoided. There are times when it is necessary to play a DVD via a laptop.

I am doing a lot more school sport recordings now for the grandkids (and supplying copies to the school coaches), and it would be good not to have these issues.

I use an i3 processor, and have 12Gig Ram.

Thanks

Ronnie.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
What are you refering to as trailing??? There is no such thing as trailing in modern camcorder mos sensors such as in the Panasonic camcorders. No trailing in digital video files either. You are probably refering to the mice teeth artifacts seen in a progressive mp4 video file when it is mistakenly encoded from an interlaced video source without deinterlacing first. h.264 support encoding the interlaced format and that is why you see no problem with it.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 03. 2015 17:31

BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
I think a screenshot of the issue, and even a 10 second sample file from that very nice camera (straight from the camera, NO EDIT, NO NUTHIN) might help here.
We are not sure of what the trailing actually is, just guessing.
Many steps can affect picture/video quality by the time it gets to it's final destination, each destination perhaps requiring different formats for play-ability.
Frame rate, and maybe producing to and from various rates without intent, or even shot in the wrong (24) frame rate for it's content or lighting.
DVD quality, different players laptop vs. standalone (not to mention dust and firmware updates), player settings, burn speeds, wind direction, and the Red Sox batting order.
Soooo, maybe those 2 things, attached.

And, if I may add some unsolicited advice, if you intend on taking your hobby forward to the next level, you may wish to invest in something more robust than an i3 for actual editing.
PowerDirector is a hungry mistress, so you will want to enjoy yourself and not run into time-consuming/annoying issues, while doing your wonderful work for grand-kids and others.

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
RonnieDP
Member Location: Durban. S Africa Joined: Nov 05, 2009 13:14 Messages: 75 Offline
[Post New]
Hope I can get the video uploaded. This is what I mean by trailing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1XNYwFWatE&feature=youtu.be

Sorry, all I can do for now is via YouTube,

Regards

Ronnie

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 04. 2015 03:24

Kevinv64 [Avatar]
Member Location: Upper Midwest Joined: Jun 28, 2012 05:41 Messages: 106 Offline
[Post New]
When I try to watch the video, it's listed as private and will not play.

Kevin
RonnieDP
[Post New]

Should be OK now

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jun 04. 2015 04:32

Kevinv64 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I can view the video now, Ronnie, but would you care to tell me what I'm supposed to be seeing?
RonnieDP
[Post New]
Hi Kevin,

On my screen I see what looks like jerky movement of the vehicles as they go across the frame. That's why I have been thinking is known as trailing. So note that the vehicles are not moving smoothly. They appear to be leaving these trails behind.

Thanks

Ronnie.
Kevinv64 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I'm not seeing anything too bad there. Barry made a number of very good general observations about the factors that come into play. You'd be surprised how sometimes it's a matter of finding the right combination of equipment, settings on the camera, settings in the NLE, technique, etc.

For example, there are numerous options in the Produce section, such as a drop-down menu with various settings of MP4. Play around with things like that.

Kevin
RonnieDP
[Post New]
Thanks Kevin,

Thanks for the help.

I'm not clued up on video processing, and tend to trust PD to do it for me. e.g. for MP4 I use 1920x1080/25p. So if video footage from my Panasonic needs more than just doing that, I guess I'm going to be battling a bit. But, as I mentioned in my first post, producing using H264 option seems to solve the problem. Now I can keep doing this, but just don't understand the MP4 problem. I also get the same problem when playing a std DVD created in PD, on both my laptop and PC. But via a home DVD player to HDTv it is perfect.

So, I can stay with H264 files for PC playback, but discs won't work. I do have a bluray burner, and still need to get a player on my PC that will play bluray discs. Maybe that will work. But most other people can't play bluray so it's they who will get the problem if they play std DVD discs on a PC/laptop. Once again, home DVD/TV no problem.

So, some experimenting lies ahead.

Thanks

Ronnie.
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
I think I would avoid the the 25P and try 50P for a smoother viewing experience all around. A few test shots, just as you did for this post, and maybe you'll see a difference. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
RonnieDP
[Post New]
Hi Barry,

Thanks for that advice. I created a 50p profile, and it works great. Playback is now nice and smooth.

I don't see it on the "create disc" page, but can a similar setting be done with burning to std DVD disc?

Just had a look. I do have an i7-3770 CPU @ 3.4Ghz processor (old sticker on my tower showed i3)

GT630 graphics card

12 Gig RAM.

So I would think maybe a graphics card upgrade?

Regards

Ronnie.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jun 05. 2015 10:37

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Ronnie -

You appear to have resolved your issue. I'd only just had a read through and wondered which recording setting you'd used. Your camera can record at ~28 MBps bitrate or lower. The video you posted to YouTube had a low bitrate of ~3MBps & I thought that would be a factor. Your camera has a 1920x1080/50p recording option - is that the one you're using now?

Your i7-3770 is a very big improvement on the i3 you thought you were running! And it didn't cost you a cent! laughing The GT 630 is a bit of a weak link, but the CPU is the more important factor.

I'll let the disc experts respond to your last question, but I don't think you'll get 50p out of a DVD... but there are many other options for playback.

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 05. 2015 12:26

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
RonnieDP
[Post New]
Hi Tony,

Thanks for commenting.

To be honest I'm not sure about the bit rate after conversion, and then YouTube upload, but I have looked at the bitrate on a file ex camera. It shows 17405Kbps. My camera has 2 recording options. 1920x1080 50i, and 1920x1080 50P. The manual says the 50P option is the highest quality. I'm using the 50i option, so maybe why the bitrate is not at max on files ex camera. I'm not sure why I'm using 50i. Maybe it was file size, and the fact that the difference on my computer screen, and TV would hardly be noticeable.

Maybe it is also that the AVCHD and Bluray burning options only offer 50i in 1920x1080.

So yes, I'm a little confused with 50i and 50p. On the one hand recording, and then what to do in PD, both when producing to file, and burning to disc..

Regards

Ronnie.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jun 05. 2015 13:06

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Yes - the choice of recording bitrates will have a significant impact on file size, & hence how much you can store on your SD card(s). My Canon XA20 has very similar recording options, but I'm not bothered about file size so I generally record in 50p at the highest bitrate possible. The exception is for concert recordings where the camera is running for long periods - then I drop the quality setting so the 2x64GB cards don't get choked.

Recording in 50p, rather than any of the 1080i settings means a bit more work for the PC while you're editing.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
RonnieDP
[Post New]
Thanks again Tony.

I think I can handle producing to file now. It's only the disc side where PD11 only offers 50i for AVCHD and Bluray. I will have a look if PD13 maybe does 50p. (Edit. PD13 still 50i) So I have done some quick tests. Best to rec in 50i if I want to burn to AVCHD or Bluray. Fine to rec in 50p for producing to file. So maybe still the reason why I have been rec in 50i.

I have Canon Dslr equipment. Always have. But, I have been looking at the XA10 over the last few days. I have not done much checking, so not sure how image quality would compare with the Panasonic X900m that I have, but you can only do so much in store checking. Maybe low light? I'm sure it offers other options, such as the external mic, but I don't think I will use that too often. So I'm not sure if worth the change for what I do. I like the 20x on the XA20, but quite pricey compared to the XA10 here.

Regards

Ronnie.

This message was edited 7 times. Last update was at Jun 06. 2015 08:24