Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How to write 3D movie to SDHC card or Flash Drive
GaryInAZ [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 16, 2012 16:25 Messages: 16 Offline
[Post New]
I can produce a 3D move, side by side format, and write it to a BD disc and play it on my Panasonic 3D DVD and Panasonic 3D TV. Is there any way to write the 3D move to a SDHC card or flash drive in any of the formats below?

To play on my DVD player I need a DIVX format with a divx or avi extension or MKV format with a mkv extension.

To play on my TV I need AVCHD, MP4 (Video codec H.264), MKV (Video codec H.264), MPEG-2 PS or MPEG-2 TS format.

I'm using a Windows 7 64 bit system. I tried copying my produced files, m2ts and mpg files directly to the SDHC card, I also tried changing the extensions, but the DVD player wouldn't recognize any of the files and the AVCHD and MPG4 files with the changed extensions were recognized by the TV but wouldn't play.

Can this be done?

Thanks
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Rather than copy, have you tried rendering directly to the cards?

Under the H.264 codec on the produce page there is an option for .MKV files

For your TV you can render directly to M2TS or MP4 under H.264

When you render, select the SHDC drive to output to.

I hope that I have understood you correctly Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
GGRussell [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Jan 08, 2012 11:38 Messages: 709 Offline
[Post New]
What resolutions can the DVD player recognize? It may not recognize high definition files.

For the TV, try different bitrates by creating a custom profile. Intel i7 4770k, 16GB, GTX1060 3GB, Two 240GB SSD, 4TB HD, Sony HDR-TD20V 3D camcorder, Sony SLT-A65VK for still images, Windows 10 Pro, 64bit
Gary Russell -- TN USA
GaryInAZ [Avatar]
[Post New]
Wow! So easy! Can't thank you enough!!!!
GaryInAZ [Avatar]
[Post New]
The Shadowman solution worked. Thanks GGRussell for the suggestions.
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Well done, Gary

Don't be a stranger Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
GaryInAZ [Avatar]
[Post New]
Oops!!!! Not so easy. It did write the .mkv file on the SD card, but the DVD player said no playable content. The TV would not play it either. I'll investigate to try to determine the reason.

So I'm open to other suggestions.
GaryInAZ [Avatar]
[Post New]
This was my original "unfriendly" post:

My goal is to be able to play a 3D home movie on my Panasonic DMPBDT310 3D DVD Player and 3D Panasonic TCP50GT30 TV with the movie on a SD card or flash drive. Botht the DVD player and TV accept SD card and USB flash drive. It would work best for me to play the movie through the DVD Player as it outputs the audio through my Receiver.

The DVD Player says it plays video that are DivX files with extensions DIVX, divx, AVI, or avi and MKV format with extensions MKV or mkv. I would prefer to put the movie on a SD memory card or USB Flash Drive, with an actual BD disc my last choice. Since the movie is only 7 minutes, using a BD disc doesn't seem a good use for the disc and I would like to play the movie in 3D on my Samsun phone with virtual reality glasses, but this probably has a slightly different solution.

If I have to input directly to the TV that would be my second choice. It accepts:
SD-Video Files (SD-Video Standard Ver.1.3) Modified data with a PC may not be displayed correctly.
AVCHD Standard compatible filesModified data with a PC may not be displayed correctly.
MotionJPEG files (taken with LUMIX)
MP4 files (Video codec H.264
MKV files (Video codec H.264
MPEG-2 PS files
MPEG-2 TS files

I started with 3D pictures from a Fuji W3 3D camera. The pictures are .mpo format. I was able to use the PD13 Edit function to add a title, import the pictures, and add a music track. Basically this is a 3D slide show with music as a movie but I believe the same Produce/Device sequence should work when starting with 3D AVI movies from the Fuji W3 camera.

My next step is to Produce it in 3D.There are a lot of choices, but I have tried MPEG-2, Side-by-Side Half Width (L/R) 1920x1080/24p and AVC Side-by-Side Full Width AVC 720x480/60i. The output file has extension mpg or m2ts.

None of the Device selections, DV, HDV, HDD, Portable, Apple, Sony, or Microsoft seem appropriate and the ones I tried will not allow me to write to the SD card.
I tried copying the produced file, mp4 and m2ts files directly to the SD card as well as changing the extension to mp4 and avchd. The DVD player doesn't recognize any of the files. The TV recognizes the mp4 and avchd files but will not play them.

I can create a 3D BD disc that will play fine on the 3D DVD player and displays in great 3D on the TV, but how can I get that movie on a memory card or flash drive that will play on my DVD or TV?

Thanks for help on how to accomplish this!
The Shadowman
[Post New]
Have you checked the maximum resolution your DVD player will handle.

And when you selected the MKV profile name did you check it was suitable.

Hang on, I'm a bit confused, does this DVD player play SHDC cards too? Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
The Shadowman
[Post New]
Right, got the bit about the DVD player and SHDC cards.

What was the frame rate of you original camera clips?

Are you sure your players can handle 24P or 60i.

At the end of the day, what is the format and frame rate of the file you are trying to play? EG 1920 x 1080 50P Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
GGRussell [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: I can create a 3D BD disc that will play fine on the 3D DVD player
There is no such thing as 3D DVD. Perhaps you meant 3D Bluray player? Give us the make and model. I have an older LG BD645 and I have no problem playing back side by side MP4 files. My only issue with PD13 is that it doesn't support Dolby 5.1 surround sound with MP4.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jun 01. 2015 16:53

Intel i7 4770k, 16GB, GTX1060 3GB, Two 240GB SSD, 4TB HD, Sony HDR-TD20V 3D camcorder, Sony SLT-A65VK for still images, Windows 10 Pro, 64bit
Gary Russell -- TN USA
GaryInAZ [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for your various suggestions and things to check. Good point about no DVD 3D. Power Director does seem to give that choice. Under Create Disc, 3D Disc, the choices are DVD Video, BluRay Disc, and AVCHD. I'll stay with BD discs for 3D if I have to use a disc. DVD player is Panasonic DMPBDT310. The TV is Panasonic TCP50GT30.

I'm starting with 3D pictures, importing them and dragging to the timeline. So there is no original frame rate but I will check that for when I'm working with movies because Power Director gives me a frame rate warning (says is is something like 29.9? but won't let me set it to 30 fps).

The original pictures are 16x9, 2560x1440 pixels. In the future I will be shooting at 3584x2016.

The DVD player has SD card Playable Content as MPEG2, AVCHD, JPEG, and MPO (3D still). So that is probably why the MKV failed on the SD card. For USB it allows DivX, MKV, JPEG, and MPO (3D still).

SD cards must be FAT32 but it does not support long file names. So I think I will be limited to 8 character file names.

While I know what this says, I have no ideas why it would be a limitation (or a work around) (it is not clear if this is for all media or just discs): It is not possible to playback AVCHD and MPEG2 video which have
been dragged and dropped, copied and pasted to the media.

The DVD player says that over HDMI (which I am using) it outputs 24p if the TV supports it. Otherwise it outputs at 60p.

I'm producing 16:9.

For 16:9 the TV can display 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, and 1080p. I can't find any spec for the frame rate.

Tomorrow I will try a USB MKV file. On the SDHC card I will use a short file name and I'll try AVCHD and MPEG-2.

Thanks to all!
GGRussell [Avatar]
[Post New]
The Panasonic DMPBDT310 is indeed a 3D Bluray player. Using the term DVD player is confusing. Although it can play DVDs, it is a Bluray player.

I didn't check the online manual. Does it have ethernet port or wireless? Check to see if it has a firmware update.

Since it supposedly recognizes MPO, copy a few of those from the W3 to the SD card or thumb drive and see if that works. If it doesn't, there is probably some other issue.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 02. 2015 09:08

Intel i7 4770k, 16GB, GTX1060 3GB, Two 240GB SSD, 4TB HD, Sony HDR-TD20V 3D camcorder, Sony SLT-A65VK for still images, Windows 10 Pro, 64bit
Gary Russell -- TN USA
GaryInAZ [Avatar]
[Post New]
Sorry for any confusion about BluRay capability on the disc player. Both the TV and BluRay players have Wi-Fi Internet connection. Both are up-to-date on firmware although no updates have been released in several years.

Today I tried 10 different Produce combinations on the SDHC card, including a format part way through the testing. In all cases the BluRay player displayed there was No Compatible Content on the SDHC Card. That seems to be a dead end.

The USB drive was a success. I had to choose h.264 AVC, MKV, Side by Side 1/2 width and both AVC 720x480/60i and AVC 720x576/24p worked. I believe the display was slightly better with the 720x576 but they were almost identical.

Side by side full width also played, but the picture was full width, but only 1/2 high, so it was very distorted.

I did not try all of the combinations directly in the TV but the ones I did try played but simply flashed pairs of images between totally black frames. I tried both Auto Detect settings on the TV. Probably some other Produce combinations would work but I don't need to figure that out.

One interesting side note. I could not delete any of the files with a MKV extension. Windows always said the file was in use by Internet Explorer. I opened Computer, opened the drive, single clicked the file, hit the Delete key, and always got the message on both the USB flash drive and the SD card. Non-MKV files deleted normally. I did not try immediately after a reboot so that might work but I have a feeling formatting the media is the only way to delete them.

Being able to use either BluRay disk, including 25 gig re-writable, or a USB flash drive revives my interest in producing 3D home slideshow movies (and 3D movies).

The Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 has been discontinued and prices have gone up dramatically for any that are left, it is a great 3D camera. Anyone can take 3D pictures with any digital camera. Just take a picture, move the camera 3 inches to the side (either way but always go the same way), take the "same" picture again, and computer software can create a side by side or Anaglyph 3D image. Anything moving will be a problem but works good for landscapes. Try to include something close in the frame (8-10 feet). There are also cheap viewers for viewing the 3D images on a computer screen.

Thanks so much for all your help. It encouraged me to keep trying combinations until I found two that worked.
GGRussell [Avatar]
[Post New]
Have you tried writing to Bluray disc in 3D yet? That should definitely work. To save space, you should be able to produce to 1080p side by side MP4 and write that to DVD or Bluray 'data' disc.

If you still have issues with these formats, might be time to think about a newer Bluray player, but might want to wait for the newer 4k players.

I love 3D and have thought about buying the W3 for still images. I have the Sony TD20 for 3D video and love it. Just wish there was some place that rented 3D movies!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 02. 2015 17:27

Gary Russell -- TN USA
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
I have not looked at PowerDirector's options for 3D dvd, but it is usually anaglyph, which would play just like a 2D movie. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
GaryInAZ [Avatar]
[Post New]
I can write the BluRay discs in 3D and play them in 3D, no problem. Now I can write the movies to a flash drive and play them which is easier for me than the discs and more economical. I do take most of my movies with the FujiFilm W3, all of them in 3D. For pictures I use the option to take both 3D (mpo) and 2D (jpg). My "good" camera is a Sony SLT but as much as I like that camera, I use the 3D even more. I actually end up taking many of my pictures with both cameras!

I noticed some W3s on ebay at a more reasonable price. I'm temped to buy another one just in case mine quits working. But I also keep hoping a newer, better 3D camera will be released by someone. My only real issue with the W3 is that you can not zoom while taking a 3D movie. I try to anticipate the best overall zoom for the entire movie before starting to record.

The W3 is actually fairly rugged. I dropped it out of my shirt pocket and it feel about 2' to a tile floor. I got a small crack in the 3D screen but I patched it with silicone (repair cost was more than the camera). I also had problems with the zoom control sticking but I lubed it and it works fine again. Can't remember what I used.

I purchased a plastic version of Google Cardboard and I plan to try to play the movies in 3D on my Samsung S4 phone with the virtual reality goggles. I just haven't had time to search for an app but I think it should work.

Oh, I believe I read that 3D movies will play on a 3DS also. The screen is small but larger than the W3. People can watch 3D without special glasses. That is something else for the future.
GGRussell [Avatar]
[Post New]
I kept holding off on 3D hoping newer models would be released, but I haven't see any new consumer 3D camcorder for a few years. Ended up buying 'floor model' Sony TD20 for almost half retail. Love it but really wish it could shoot 3D stills too. I have 3D LG TV and LG Bluray player. HAve purchased several 3D Bluray movies and if I go to a theater, the movie is definitely in 3D on IMax.

I actually thought about getting a good used W3 just for 3D still images. Intel i7 4770k, 16GB, GTX1060 3GB, Two 240GB SSD, 4TB HD, Sony HDR-TD20V 3D camcorder, Sony SLT-A65VK for still images, Windows 10 Pro, 64bit
Gary Russell -- TN USA
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
As you have discovered, most companies are dropping support of 3D. I use a GoPro, but the 3D setup is expensive and has limits. The video is amazing. I would like a Sony to supplement the equipment I have, and I wish PD had better upport for GoPro's 2.7k video. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
GGRussell [Avatar]
[Post New]
Don't know why their are no camcorders. There are already 3D 4k TVs! Definitely will buy one, but waiting for the 4k to settle. Intel i7 4770k, 16GB, GTX1060 3GB, Two 240GB SSD, 4TB HD, Sony HDR-TD20V 3D camcorder, Sony SLT-A65VK for still images, Windows 10 Pro, 64bit
Gary Russell -- TN USA