Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
mp4 productions won't play on my Samsung TV
ponderstibbons
Newbie Location: Champion Lakes, Western Australia Joined: Jan 19, 2011 08:28 Messages: 42 Offline
[Post New]
I just produced a small clip about four times, and saved the productions using different formats to a USB stick.

But whatever format I use it won't play on my Samsung TV, which is about five years old.

I've tried .avi as well as h.264 AVC (mp4) and h. 265 AVC (mp4)

But on the same stick I have some .mp4 clips which I copied direct from my Samsung Galaxy S5 smartphone and they play without any problems.

This TV also plays .mp4 films which have been downloaded...erm..perhaps not quite as they should have been and it has absolutely no problems.

I've had a look through the forum but can't find anyone else who has reported the same problem.

So, has anyone else experienced this, and does anyone have a solution. One Man, One Vote. The Patrician was the Man, he had the Vote.
Terry Pratchett (Mort).
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
I'm assuming that these new clips are not native to Samsung, ie not created on your phone. In this case you might find the website useful. There is a link to a converter for video to Samsung TVs - It might just work
http://www.acrokmxfconverter.com/samsung-led-tv-supported-video-format-usb/ Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
GGRussell [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Jan 08, 2012 11:38 Messages: 709 Offline
[Post New]
In PD13, try a custom profile for the MP4 and lower the bitrate to 3 or 4 Mbps (3000Kbps). So far I've no problem playing MP4 on LG or Samsung (although my Samsung is a bit newer). Intel i7 4770k, 16GB, GTX1060 3GB, Two 240GB SSD, 4TB HD, Sony HDR-TD20V 3D camcorder, Sony SLT-A65VK for still images, Windows 10 Pro, 64bit
Gary Russell -- TN USA
ponderstibbons
Newbie Location: Champion Lakes, Western Australia Joined: Jan 19, 2011 08:28 Messages: 42 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for both of your suggestions.
I did another production, using mpeg 4 - 640x480 (the original is 4:3 format) at 6Mbps and it worked fine.
If I do have further problems I'll install Acrok - which I have downloaded.
Again, many thanks for your suggestions. One Man, One Vote. The Patrician was the Man, he had the Vote.
Terry Pratchett (Mort).
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi ponderstibbons -

I don't have a Galaxy S5 or a Samsung TV, but I've had somewhat similar things with my Sony UHD TV. Some things produced out of PDR will play & others won't. If your Samsung is "smart" make sure its firmware has been updated.

I can't test this (obviously) but looking at the MediaInfo & Moo0 VideoInfo reports, I can see some similarities & differences between an original S5 file, a PDR produced MPEG-4 & a FormatFactory converted MPEG-4. I'm not saying I understand it - I can just see it. embarassed

The side-by-side MI reports are attached. Moo0 reports that the original file & the FF conversion both have no B frames, where the PDR file does. Also the codec ID in S5 & FF is "isom", while the PDR file is MSNV. I know of no way to reset this in PDR & it would seem to me that those things may be factors.

I know I'm from the east, but don't hold that against me! laughing

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - MI S5+.png]
 Filename
MI S5+.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
73 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
45 time(s)

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
I have had no problems with mp4 clips running as high as 24Kbit on several Samsung as well as Panasonic TV's. Perhaps you can offer us a short 30 sec clip to see how we fair with it. Win 10, i7
ponderstibbons
[Post New]
As mentioned above I don't have any problems now - it was apparently the bitrate which was too high and choosing a 6Mbps rate produced a clip which played without problems.
I mentioned downloading Acrok but after reading some reviews I decided not to install or use it.
Thanks for your input. I'm sure it won't be long before I'm asking for help again. One Man, One Vote. The Patrician was the Man, he had the Vote.
Terry Pratchett (Mort).