Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
multiple freezes and slow downs every session
Chazms [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 19, 2015 17:45 Messages: 22 Offline
[Post New]
I have what I thought would be a great computer for editing but when using PD 13 I am consistantly facing freezes that require me to force the program to close or short "freezes" lasting 3-20 seconds that the program recovers from. On my old computer using sony editing software I used to use a "kill all" program before editing. I didn't think I needed anything like that with this computer, maybe I'm worng. I have a hard time believing that an i7 with 24gb of ram is not enough to run this program. Perhaps I have my settings wrong or could use recommendations on a "kill all" program for windows 8. Please help.

Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I have what I thought would be a great computer for editing but when using PD 13 I am consistantly facing freezes that require me to force the program to close or short "freezes" lasting 3-20 seconds that the program recovers from. On my old computer using sony editing software I used to use a "kill all" program before editing. I didn't think I needed anything like that with this computer, maybe I'm worng. I have a hard time believing that an i7 with 24gb of ram is not enough to run this program. Perhaps I have my settings wrong or could use recommendations on a "kill all" program for windows 8. Please help.

To show use the full condition of your computer attach the text file of Part B: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/40225.page Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Chazms -

You're right to expect that your PC - with an i7-4790 processor & 24GB RAM - would be able to run PDR 13 without all the freezing & lagging. Your PC would chew up & spit out any of mine, & Carl 312's (!) Mine run PDR 13 without any such issues.

Maybe something will show up in your DxDiag that will give some clues.

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 16. 2015 23:54

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Chazms [Avatar]
[Post New]
Here is my dxdiag.
 Filename
chazms DxDiag.zip
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
12 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
189 time(s)
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Chazms Your computer looks powerfull enough to take on HD and it looks like you've upgraded the RAM and the video card from the standard DELL models. Can you tell us the exact model of your graphics card? It will be listed in Device Manager like this:

Your graphics driver is up to date and the end of your DxDiag results show several crashes of PD13 along with earlier crashes of something called WPNConnectionFailure.

There are several things you can try, and the one with a high chance of success is to run Windows' System File Checker. Press Windows key + X or right-click(long-hold) on the Start button, then select Command Prompt(Admin). Type SFC /scannow and hit enter. Windows will check the integrity of its core files and will (hopefully) find and repair any that are damaged. Let us know what the results are.

It's also possible that your PD13 installation is corrupted, and you can try an uninstall/reinstall of that, especially if SFC finds no errors.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 17. 2015 20:44

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
Chazms [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you. Here is my video card. I will do the windows scan now.
[Thumb - video card.png]
 Filename
video card.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
32 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
49 time(s)
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Looks like you are running two monitors of two different resolutions. PD has been a little touchy with that at times. Just as a test I'd use only a single monitor for awhile and see if the PD issue cleans up. Unplug the video cable from the card, not just turn off the monitor.

Jeff
Chazms [Avatar]
[Post New]
SFC scan results. And CBs.log. I have no idea what either of these tell. My results said I have corrupt files, but it doesn't seem that windows made an attempt to fix them. How do I do that? Is this my issue?

I will also try disconnecting my second monitor, thank you JL_JL.
[Thumb - sfc scan.png]
 Filename
sfc scan.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
12 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
41 time(s)
 Filename
CBS.log
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
7097 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
198 time(s)
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Thank you. Here is my video card. I will do the windows scan now.
Yeah, that's what your DxDiag also says but there are many different versions of that card and I was hoping that you knew the exact version so we could see how well it will perform when editing. It's not a big deal, but if you bought the card separately you might have that info somewhere.

It would be nice to see where your card lies in this very wide *range*

As for your SFC results, you're the second person this week with similar problems with a high-end AMD card. At least one of the issues that Windows can't fix on your machine is related to the AMD graphics driver, and you might want to try uninstalling the video card from Device Manager, including deleting the driver, then reboot.

When the computer gets to back to Windows, it should automatically download and install the latest AMD driver. If not you can manually download and install it from <span style="color: #0000ff;">*here* and then you can try running SFC again and then test PD13.</span>

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

optodata
[Post New]
I think you have the Radeon R9 270, and here's where it lands compared to other high end *GPUs*

It's not the fastest card out there but it should be able to give you decent editing performance.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 17. 2015 22:40

YouTube/optodata

Chazms [Avatar]
[Post New]
I've tried updating the video card driver, I have uninstalled and reinstalled PD13, I have restored Windows, I have updated all my other driver and still have no releif from this freezing issue. It is starting to freeze every few edits now and freezes for 10-30 seconds. Mostly it recovers itself but every so often it never recovers and either shuts itself down or I am fforced to close it. Any other suggestions?
optodata
[Post New]
Wow, that's frustrating. What version of PD do you have installed?
Can you attach a sample clip of your original media to see if that might be the problem? The file size limit on the forum is about 30MB, so post a link to OneDrive or DropBox if it's bigger than that.

YouTube/optodata

Chazms [Avatar]
[Post New]
Here is one clip and the version is 13.0.2604.0
 Filename
CARR SAVE.m2ts
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
22008 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
134 time(s)
Chazms [Avatar]
[Post New]
Is my video card the culprit here? I thought a 2GB card would be sufficient...
optodata
[Post New]
Thanks for the upload

I have no problems editing and previewing this clip. Do you have problems with this exact clip, or do you need to have longer clips or more clips to see the problem? Do you have to do any editing or cropping or repairs or add FX to see the freeze, or is it with just the plain clips?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 22. 2015 03:06

YouTube/optodata

Chazms [Avatar]
[Post New]
The freeze does not seem to happen to nay certain clips or effects or power tools. I am 25 minutes into a video though where many crops, effects and speed changes have been made, but not to every clip. It normally happens when trimming a clip or making any adjustment, large or small. My first project was over an hour long with no such issues, So I am wondering why it is doing it so often now. It has really slowed my workflow.
optodata
[Post New]
Quote: Is my video card the culprit here? I thought a 2GB card would be sufficient...
Well, 3 or 4GB would be better, but it really depends on what kind of workload your GPU is facing.

Are you familiar with Windows' Resource Monitor? I think it would be very enlightening to run that while you're editing and switch over to it when PD has frozen. You should be able to see right away if your HDD, GPU, CPU or even RAM (or the pagefile) is maxed out. It may even be something running in the background that unexpectedly takes over your computer...

YouTube/optodata

optodata
[Post New]
Oh, I should have said you'll need a separate utility to watch the GPU, and the forum dwellers like to use *GPU-Z*

YouTube/optodata

Chazms [Avatar]
[Post New]
Using the resource monitor it seems my CPU is the problem. Task manager shows so much stuff going on in the background that my CPU is peaking out at 100% often. Is there a killall program that can decipher which processes are safe to close?
[Thumb - cpu usage.png]
 Filename
cpu usage.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
137 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
40 time(s)
optodata
[Post New]
The screen capture doesn't show your CPU being maxed out, in fact in the Resource Monitor you can see PDR13.exe is only using 16% of your CPU and a total current usage of just 19%. You might be referring to the maximum frequency reading of 99%, but that isn't relevant here because that's more about monitoring CPU power consumption vs. performance.

If you click on the top of the CPU column, you'll display the processes in descending order of CPU usage which will bring the offending process to the top. If you right-click on it and choose Analyze Wait Chain... you'll see exactly where the program is stuck. Please take a screen shot of that!

From the right-click menu you can also choose End Process or End Process Tree, which is essentially the Kill ALL function you were looking for. EPT is the farthest-reaching option. Depending on what you kill, you might need to reboot.

YouTube/optodata