Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
To 1394 or not to 1394...
EasterAZ99mba [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 09, 2015 20:35 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
I have a pretty old laptop w/ 1394...but it does not have PD13 on it, nor is it powerful enough to use this software. IT has an old version of PInnacle Video Editor on it.

I have a new laptop, though it is probably on the low end of being powerful enough, it has PD13. But it has no 1394.

I have a Canon HV10 HD VidCam that uses 1394. Also likely will buy a new HD VidCam (lower end...$500 range)

How can i capture videos from my Canon to the new laptop w/o 1394. Are there USB/1394 adapters? GIven the difference protocols (stream vs packets) i would assume that wouldn't work.

I feel like what I probably have to do is keep this old laptop for capturing videos from teh VidCams via Pinnacle software. Then transfer these capture files to a separate HDD, then connect the HDD to my new laptop and 'import' these Pinnacle captures into PD13.

Is there a way, w/o 1394 to get the videos captured to my new laptop...or do i have to go this circuitous route?
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Not that I know of. Don't think that a firewire to usb adapter will work on your newer laptop to do what you want. As far as I remember, the type 2 dv-avi and hdv captured from Pinnacle Studio should work on PD13. Never tested hdv as I don't have it. Others may be able to confirm that.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 10. 2015 14:43

GGRussell [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Jan 08, 2012 11:38 Messages: 709 Offline
[Post New]
Does the new laptop have an Express Slot? YOu can add Firewire that way. IF not, you will need to keep both laptops. Intel i7 4770k, 16GB, GTX1060 3GB, Two 240GB SSD, 4TB HD, Sony HDR-TD20V 3D camcorder, Sony SLT-A65VK for still images, Windows 10 Pro, 64bit
Gary Russell -- TN USA
[Post New]
You could also capture the video on the old computer and then just copy it over to the new computer via usb driver/network whatever you got.

You don't need a lot of power to capture the video (just make sure you don't have a bunch of programs running).
Win8.1 Pro x64 / Dual x5670 / 24GB / GTX960 4GB / 240GB SSD + 640GB HDD / PD13 Ultimate
EasterAZ99mba [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 09, 2015 20:35 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks all!!
I thought I would have to keep both laptops...but I was hoping I could get rid of it
It will capture video, and I can xfer it via external HDD. Just a pain...

BTW..GGRussell...I work for Intel and i'm digging your rig

Kevin
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Is there an "AV" port on that camcorder? You may be able to come out of that to an Analog to digital converter (A/D) which plugs into your USB port. The A/D converter are readily available. .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.