Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Part J, MediaInfo used to analyze Media Properties, important info.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Members,

For years MediaInfo has been a great tool to get at the full property details of media files. I use it frequently and there is a link in the Guide, Part J http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/40225.page Members are asked to download the free software and extract and provide the information to us as a text file.

Recently it has come to my attention* MediaInfo has changed and the installer places a malware item called "Open Candy" onto a user's system, this is unacceptable. As soon as I was aware of the matter I made available a couple of older builds, 7.15 and 7.62, the latter being the one I have used for a while. I also had both of these checked*. The conclusion has been that MediaInfo 7.15 is safe to use.

*I'd like to thank Phil, garioch7 for his work in spotting the problem and making it known to me immediately. I also asked CyberLink to check out MediaInfo, Open Candy was found. The recommendation is for the older version 7.15 to be used.

Members, please ensure you use and point other new members to the earlier version 7.15

The above is my opinion and suggestion.

Dafydd

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at May 04. 2015 04:53

borgus1 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Feb 27, 2013 00:33 Messages: 1318 Offline
[Post New]
Background info on Open Candy...
http://opencandy.com/faqs/
[Post New]
Currently I avoid download demanding an intermediate Software for download.

Mild I know is safe as CyberLink_PowerDirector_Downloader

My MediaInfo v0.7.73 was installed by K-Lite Codec Pack.

I always look for the official website or other that allows me to directly download without Downloadr's malicious.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at May 05. 2015 22:38

AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
SSD SUV400S37240G / 2-HD WD 1TB
AMD Radeon R9 270 / AOC M2470SWD
Windows 7-64 / PD16 Ultimate
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Wow Dafydd, The open candy has been in mediainfo after version 0.7.65, Dec, 2013. I see that you never updated yours. I don't update it either because of that. The gui versions have it but the Command Line Interface (cli) version, dos like don't have it. foot-in-mouth

The DLL version don't have it either but does anyone on this forum know how to install it into windows?? That would be a great help to all users. After registering the dll, how would it be useful without the gui..
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
If you pay attention to the messages in the installer, you can uncheck or decline or do not accept the options for extra software.

I have been successful in not installing any extra software with downloads of free software. You just have to READ the screens as presented. And do not allow extra software.

No automatic clicking on OK, or Next. Do not continue until you have read and understand what is asked or shown. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
I have done exactly the same as what Carl has mentioned and don't have any unwanted software on my system.

Open Candy installer has been flagged recently as malware, see thread above. I've made an early version available that didn't have the installer - less hassle for a newbie and us.

Dafydd
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
So let me understand, it's unacceptable for Open Candy to monetize installs of mediaInfo by automatically suggesting add-ons that the user needs to be vigilant and unselect but it's okay for CL to do the same? If unselected there is no residuals in either case and yes the user gets what they selected in both cases.

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/41911.page

I fail to see the rational.

Jeff
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Many users use different antivirus packages that may flag opencandy as malware. I don't know. Some users in the forums can't supply the mediainfo when I ask for it because they consider it malware as maybe their antivirus or antispyware flagged the installer. They are scared to death to take a chance. I don't blame them for being cautious.

Recently I installed crystaldiskmark for use to use the information to reply to a different post. You cannot uncheck opencandy and it will be installed. I did not install the opencandy in the installer. There are ways around it even for the latest version of the gui version of mediainfo. Simply open a command prompt on your windows pc. Navigate to the download and type the name of the installer with /NOCANDY .See the attached screenshot for details.
[Thumb - NoCandy.jpg]
 Filename
NoCandy.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Install mediainfo with nocandy.
 Filesize
318 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
87 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at May 04. 2015 15:20

tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
For those who have mediainfo and are still skeptical about updating mediainfo then the dll files are available for download. Don't know if downloading and simply replacing those dll files would do the job or if they have to be registered in windows. Are there anyone out they willing to try for the benefit of everyone...

For me, uninstal, then install the latest version without opencandy is the answer. Updating online does install opencandy and it may be flagged by a user's antimalware. sealed

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 04. 2015 15:22

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Another option is to donate $10 at the Media Info *website*. The installer does not have OpenCandy if you donate.

I understand that not everyone will want to pay for the app, but if you find it useful you can support the developer and be ensured that no adware will be installed.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 04. 2015 17:11

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
$10 will do but they are only asking for $1 for an installer with nocandy. The developers have to eat so it is a donation for a good cause.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi,
With Open Candy/MediaInfo I'm having to err on the side of caution. I've had info passed to me and have reacted accordingly (maybe too fast ). I've not had a problem with MediaInfo but on the forum we get an occasional mention of installation content issues. More experienced users will install the way Carl has indicated while newbies may not.

If the consensus is "no worries" then I'll amend the message in Part J, covering the situation and offering a route for newbies.

Dafydd
garioch7
Senior Contributor Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 852 Offline
[Post New]
Good day, everyone. It seems that I may have stirred things up. OpenCandy is classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Program). The OpenCandy folks put their best spin on their product, but the fact is that you cannot avoid having OpenCandy installed on your computer when you download the latest version of MediaInfo. What you can avoid, for now, is having OpenCandy install its recommended programs. The MediaInfo folks are very open that you cannot avoid OpenCandy UNLESS you pay them for an installer that does not install it.

MediaInfo OpenCandy Reference Link

Personally, I do not think that Cyberlink, and these Forums, should be recommending software that includes PUPs. That doesn't mean that users cannot download the latest MediaInfo version, if they are not concerned about OpenCandy, but they should be forewarned that OpenCandy will be installed, unless they donate to MediaInfo for a "clean" installer.

Here is one link that describes OpenCandy objectively: Description of OpenCandy PUP

Apart from my interest in videography and video-editing, I am studying malware removal at Bleeping Computer. I notified Dafydd, our Moderator, when I downloaded the newest version of MediaInfo on Friday past. I had not downloaded a newer version in over a year. My Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium immediately flagged the installer file as containing OpenCandy, and I had no option not to install it, if I wanted the newest version of MediaInfo and did not want to "donate" for a clean installer file (see the MediaInfo OpenCandy Reference Link above). In my case, my Malwarebyes Anti-Malware was able to remove it easily via a malware scan and quarantined the offending OpenCandy files.

I suspect that many who come here for support are not running robust and up-to-date anti-virus and anti-malware solutions. On the side, I do some computer consulting and clean-ups from malware. My experience has been that folks are pretty upset that unwanted program have installed themselves on their computers.

Another issue of concern is that, while OpenCandy may be relatively "benign" as PUPs go at this time, that could always change. Personally, I don't want programs on my computer that are doing things behind the scenes when they decide to do it, without notification and user consent.

I just wanted to bring it to the Moderator's, and Cyberlink's attention, that OpenCandy was being bundled with MediaInfo, a program we here on the Forums often ask folks to run, who have come here for support. It certainly should not be our intent to "infect" peoples' computers, unless we have given them full and sufficient warning. It might be time for us to find another freeware program that is PUP-free when we need details of media clips.

OpenCandy is all about making money for the maker of the PUP, and for those companies, like MediaInfo (and they are not alone) who get make money from each and every installation of OpenCandy. OpenCandy is not about altruistically serving the average computer user. I would have no objection whatsoever to MediaInfo "offering" OpenCandy in their installer package, but the user has no option to avoid installation of the PUP without donating for a clean installer.

Those are my thoughts. If I have caused any offence, then I sincerely apologize to anyone offended. I just wanted to help ensure that everyone who comes here for help to these Cyberlink Forums has a safe and enjoyable computing experience.

Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil Windows 10 Pro x64
Dell XPS 8930
Intel CoreT i7 (4.6 GHz)
32 GB DDR4-2666 RAM
1 TB PCIe -x4 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra
Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor
delboy35 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Scotland Joined: Apr 12, 2015 17:21 Messages: 23 Offline
[Post New]
No ones offended and theres no need to apologise, its just that some people dont see the problem with opencandy.

Trial version of PD downloaded from CL website will give option to install google chrome and a browser plugin.I declined but if i wasnt paying attention it would have, because the boxes are ticked by default.To me those are both potentially unwanted programs because i didnt want them.Open candy also gives you a choice.It only runs during install and it doesnt infect your pc.If you call it malware then you have to classify PD trial as malware too.

If people are worried about it .Run your browser in a sandbox,download /install and run in a sandbox.When your satisfied nothing bad is being installed delete it and install as normal.Sandboxie is the best known but there are others as well.
garioch7
Senior Contributor Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 852 Offline
[Post New]
Dellboy35:

You said:

Open candy also gives you a choice.It only runs during install and it doesnt infect your pc.

That is not true.

If you read the MediaInfo link that I provided in my previous email, you will see that you have no choice but to install OpenCandy, unless you donate to MediaInfo for an OpenCandy-free installer. I have included the link again for your ease of reference.

MediaInfo Installs OpenCandy Unless a Donation is Made Link

That to me, and to others in the malware community, is where I/we draw line. If indeed, we did have the choice to refuse OpenCandy when installing the latest versions of MediaInfo, I would be in total agreement with you. I have not too much of an issue with "bundled" software, if I, as the user/downloader, have the option to decline all, or some, of the bundled software. Because I could not decline the installation of OpenCandy, I thought it appropriate to bring this to the attention of the Forum Moderator, because past versions of MediaInfo either did not have bundled software or did give the user the option to decline bundled applications, PUPs or otherwise.

I did not want OpenCandy. I wanted MediaInfo. The MediaInfo site states, you get OpenCandy, like it, or lump it, unless you "donate" to get access to an "OpenCandy"-free version of the MediaInfo installer. You get no other option to decline it.

I can provide you with screenshots from the Malwarebytes AntiMalware (MBAM) Premium scan that I ran after installing MediaInfo, showing you the detection of OpenCandy on my PC, and the action taken by MBAM to quarantine the offending files.

I don't want to initiate a controversy here. I am only interested in ensuring that people that we are trying to help here on the PD Forums don't wind up with "infected" computers and unwanted software clogging up their works. Many of the folks who come here are not as computer-literate as some of our very knowledgeable participants in these Forums.

I think the Moderator acted appropriately in modifying the "sticky thread" to warn Forum participants of the OpenCandy PUP bundled with MediaInfo, and by posting on the issue so that everyone is aware of that fact.

You and I can agree to disagree. I am on a couple of malware forums daily, and yes, there are always differing viewpoints. I support the Moderator in making the information known to PD Forum participants. They can make their own decisions, but at least they have the information at their disposal to make an informed decision.

It is my understanding that Forum Moderators, here and elsewhere, have a responsibility to Forum participants to, as the doctors say: "Do No Harm." If you visit Bleeping Computer, where I am currently studying, you will see that the Moderators there are very attentive to ensuring that Forum participants there are not "harmed" when following advice given to assist users there with computer issues.

That's my two cents, and again, if I have caused any offence, I apologize. I don't want to become embroiled in any flaming. Life is too short and it is never constructive to the parties involved.

Respectfully Sumitted,

-Phil Windows 10 Pro x64
Dell XPS 8930
Intel CoreT i7 (4.6 GHz)
32 GB DDR4-2666 RAM
1 TB PCIe -x4 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Phil & all -

I've never come across the Open Candy issue, but it's good to know it's there. There are various ways to source MediaInfo &, as tomasc posted, it comes in different forms.

Example: AdFree version (7.73) - http://www.videohelp.com/software/MediaInfo

MediaInfo is the "go to" tool, but there are alternatives... like Moo0 Video Info which gives the option of a quick summary or a detailed report. There's a PDF attached showing the Moo0 reports with MediaInfo.

N.B. The above linked software also comes with optional extras, but you can uncheck those.

Cheers - Tony
 Filename
Media Reports.pdf
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
266 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
466 time(s)

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
GGRussell [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Jan 08, 2012 11:38 Messages: 709 Offline
[Post New]
There is a version you can download WITHOUT the installer. The file was compressed with 7z. Just uncompress the files and run the .exe.

https://mediaarea.net/nn/MediaInfo/Download/Windows

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 05. 2015 22:29

Intel i7 4770k, 16GB, GTX1060 3GB, Two 240GB SSD, 4TB HD, Sony HDR-TD20V 3D camcorder, Sony SLT-A65VK for still images, Windows 10 Pro, 64bit
Gary Russell -- TN USA
[Post New]
I like to use PortableApps (http://portableapps.com/)
It was initially created so you have the equivalent of the the Windows start menu "with a bunch of apps" that could all run from a thumb drive. The important part is that NONE of these apps ever get "installed" on your computer. Portable apps also handles all the updates of these apps.

I don't run Portable apps from a thumb drive but rather a folder on my PC and I run the main Portable apps program in my Windows start-up.

MediaInfo is also part of the apps that are available via Portable apps, and it is the same type described by GGRussell, a standalone version that needs no installer.

[Thumb - Portableapps.png]
 Filename
Portableapps.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
22 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
192 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at May 05. 2015 23:47

Win8.1 Pro x64 / Dual x5670 / 24GB / GTX960 4GB / 240GB SSD + 640GB HDD / PD13 Ultimate
garioch7
[Post New]
This is all great information. It would appear that you can get MediaInfo, as reported by our learned colleagues above, but you have to be very careful to ensure that you don't get the MediaInfo installer with ads package. I have checked out the links and the "clean" versions of MediaInfo appear to be portable apps, and do not install on your computer; hence no OpenCandy. I have learned something ... always learning, here and elsewhere. Thank you for sharing your information with us.

Of course, the average user would still probably opt for the installer package because that seems simple, without ever reading about the MediaInfo "OpenCandy" bundled with it. In such cases, it might be wise to recommend the user pay the $1.00 to the company and avoid the Open Candy if they don't want it.

I would think that a link could, and should, be made in Part J to the portable MediaInfo apps, but I would respectfully suggest that the warning remain regarding the MediaInfo installer package.

I was not aware of Moo0 (thanks, Tony) and I would leave it to others more knowledgeable to ascertain whether it provides the necessary information to aid the pros here in assisting users. If Tony recommends it, then I would think that it must be sufficient for our purposes. Perhaps it could be listed as an option under Part J, with, of course, the advisory to uncheck any unwanted software, which Tony states can be done, unlike with the MediaInfo installer package, installing OpenCandy, without the option to deselect it.

Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil Windows 10 Pro x64
Dell XPS 8930
Intel CoreT i7 (4.6 GHz)
32 GB DDR4-2666 RAM
1 TB PCIe -x4 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra